Swing arm gap (Read 103 times)
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Swing arm gap
06/03/18 at 19:23:16

Roll Eyes ShockedI need someone who has a stock swing arm handy, to take a measurement for me. After doing some modifications, I think the gap in the rear closed in on me. If you could measure from the outside to the outside of the axel mounts are it would be an amazing help. And also if between the insides of the shock mounts. If I can figure out how to post a photo again, I'll do it.

Thank you.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Swing arm gap
Reply #1 - 06/03/18 at 21:02:43

Because these parts are welded up they may be different bike to bike ,so there is no exact measurement anyone could give you . If the gap has closed you'll just need to spread it open enough to insert all the parts  (and it's one of the reasons not to depend on the index marks to adjust the drive belt /rear wheel for tracking/ straightness). Measuring from the swingarm pivot bolt to the axle on each side is a better way to go.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/03/18 at 21:32:12

Before cutting or welding you should jig the swingarm with spacers the same width of rear wheel and swing arm pivot. Then do mods. If the rear is too narrow then the front is to wide. Made my spacers out of steel pipe.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 06/03/18 at 21:35:45

20/20 ya know, lol. Didn't do much so it shouldn't have moved as far as it did. I was just hoping someone had theirs open so they could give me a quick idea. I appreciate it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/04/18 at 03:34:03

Yep....been there, done that, made the same mistake.

After making a notch in mine for an 18" wheel and Kawasaki front pulley, I welded mine and found out after painting and installing the wheel the gap closed.  I put a bottle jack in there and spread them apart again - but I really don't know if the spread equally and the alignment is still proper.

I have a new swingarm without the notch all painted up and ready to go.  It turns out that with the double Kawasaki pulley conversion  my wheel is all the way back, and I don't need a notched swingarm anymore.

Yes it is hindsight for both of us - but a spacer needed to be in the axle slot while welding.  At this point you also need to know the offset spacing, as I don't know that the bottle jack method makes the arms spread equally, as one side may be stronger and not as easy to bend as the other side.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/04/18 at 03:41:44

I have one loose and measure just shade over 9 inches between the shock lugs and 9 3/8 between the axle plates.  Both measurements are inside to inside.  You should have a decent chance to pry it back open with a bottle jack or some similar arrangement.  Not sure what you modified but that amount of movement after welding is not unusual.  

FWIW the stock dimension when I add up the all the spacers and axle adjustment plates that stack up on the axle I get about 9 1/8 inches.  So in my opinion that would be enough between plates.  Assembly is probably a bit easier with the extra clearance but having to pry it open a tiny bit is also doable.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 06/04/18 at 08:33:49

Thank you, that gives me a great starting point to work from. I appreciate the input and advise.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/04/18 at 09:16:32

Assemble the axle and wheel
Measure
Put a spacer in the swingarm to equal
Run a long piece of something straight through the pivot, secured and centered.

Cross measure from the left end of the pivot to right end of swingarm
Write that down
Reverse and measure
If it's not even
The swing arm isn't square

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/04/18 at 10:06:07

After the mods are done & cooled remove the jigs slowly to see if it's good. If not tighten jigs heat center x-bar and let cool , try again at removing jigs. If still not right repeat with heat a slightly larger area & let cool. I had to do mine twice !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 06/04/18 at 10:46:06

Awesome thanks guys!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 06/04/18 at 15:09:42

Was it modified by Ryca ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 06/04/18 at 15:26:27

No, I'm working on making the bike a Solo, and doing some extra work on it, so I shaved off the rear foot peg mounts and filled them in so it would be smooth.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 06/05/18 at 10:59:55

After some thinking and rigging we were able to get it back within the distance that I needed hopefully.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 06/05/18 at 12:11:39

My problem was with the s/a pivot was way too wide , I would jig that too !
Be sure to let it cool down naturally with jigs in place.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:33:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Swing arm gap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.