Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Years (Read 200 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Y
Reply #15 - 04/11/21 at 19:08:19

RYCA was selling off their inventory last year - they got out of the business of making motorcycle parts and kits.  Last I saw they were looking for investors for some kind of design illustration software they were making or marketing....or something like that.

As oldNslow suggested - you might see if Blue Collar Bobbers has something you like.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 04/12/21 at 05:48:27

Dave wrote on 04/11/21 at 19:08:19:
As oldNslow suggested - you might see if Blue Collar Bobbers has something you like.

Or you might try rolling your own. If I knew then what I know now, I would have only purchased the rear-sets from RYCA. Several members have built their own rear-sets and mid-controls (depending on style of bike). I'd spend a few days going through the build threads for inspiration.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Smudger
YaBB Newbies

"There is No
Religion Higher Than
Truth"

Maryland
Reply #17 - 04/12/21 at 18:04:43

Thanks.  I've been through all the threads, made notes, etc.  I'm now thinking pf a fully completed Voodoo Vintage hardtail.  I just don't know how much further fabricating, welding, drilling, etc. may be needed, but I'll be calling them soon.  I can wrench but am not a welder (nor the equipment).  Got a 1-car garage woodshop to work in, and the time (retired).  LOL . . . my biggest hurdle is the wife.  She was pretty emphatic about not having another motorcycle (own an Indian).

All chrome is in great shape, wheels too.  Need to work to get it started and running before I commit to modifications.

Here's the acquisition, washed after sitting outside for 8 years . . . (2006 S40)

My_S40-1.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/13/21 at 05:15:07

Get it running and ride it for a bit before you decide what changes you want to make.

The VooDoo does require a lot of fabricating from what I remember in other threads, and the ground clearance is an issue as the frame is really low under the engine......and I remember seeing the long chain and getting it to not slap and rub is an issue during the fabrication.  I believe that using this option will result in a bike that you seldom ride......comfort and smooth riding are not the strong points of this frame.  I can't remember any forum member getting their bike turned into a VooDoo and them continuing to be an active member - they just seem to disappear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/13/21 at 05:36:32

Smudger wrote on 06/01/18 at 18:22:41:
Anyone have recommendations for getting a S40 engine (2006, 650) started after sitting for 5 years? Obviously, battery and spark plug, but what about cleaning out gas tank and old oil from case?

Any other tings I should do before attempting a start?
Don't intend to ride it, just want to get it started before I invest $$ in a complete RYCA rebuild.

I did bought my a 2000 Savage, sitting at last for 6 years, for no money at all.. 2000 dollars about! Huh

In anyway.. take a chanse, I thought.. I could always put in some more money to make the engin restored?

At last I got it, and I have to drive it home, frome the local storage!
After that i got new tires, new tubes, new oil and new oilfilter, to be safe.. at my local MC shop!

Its this, even as it was probably storaged in a warm garage for 6 years, befor I bouhgt it, what about the formar owners, I think they only polisch it, and/ or used it to drive to the church on Sundays? Shocked

In any way.. you still have to start the engin, to understand if its working/if there is water in your oil/fuel/if your petkock is clogged/if there is rust in your tank/if your carburator is clogged/ a lot of other things!

You have no alternative then to start the engin?

Check the oil at leaste, and thats even have some issues, the bike schould stay straight on level ground, then it should stay upright, befor one check the oil gauge on the right side of the engin!

Easy for you to do, let somebody to climb the bike and hold it.. stright up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 22:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.