Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Years (Read 200 times)
Smudger
YaBB Newbies

"There is No
Religion Higher Than
Truth"

Maryland
Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Years
06/01/18 at 18:22:41

Anyone have recommendations for getting a S40 engine (2006, 650) started after sitting for 5 years? Obviously, battery and spark plug, but what about cleaning out gas tank and old oil from case?

Any other tings I should do before attempting a start?
Don't intend to ride it, just want to get it started before I invest $$ in a complete RYCA rebuild.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Y
Reply #1 - 06/01/18 at 18:46:08

Been there....done that.

Don't drain the oil or change the filter - just check the level and leave it alone until you get it running.  Taking the old filter out will require the engine to run without any oil as it fills the empty filter housing and filter.  It is better to get it started and get oil flowing immediately.

Definitely drain anything that is in the tank and get rid of it.  You don't want to use any fuel that is older than the cottage cheese in your fridge!

If the fuel tank is clean inside, you may be able to leave it alone.

Wash the bike if it is dirty, take care to clean any dirt/crud away form the spark plug area, and remove the spark plug.  Spray Sta-Bil Fogging Oil into the cylinder and replace the spark plug.  Rotate the engine over a few revolutions if possible by removing the timing cover on the left side of the engine, and rotate it with a 17mm socket in the same direction as the wheels turn when the bike is going forward.

Remove the front (exhaust) valve inspection cap and spray some form of oil into the head to lubricate the cam and rockers.  Don't use WD40 or any light oil - use something with some thickness to it. (The Fogging oil is better than nothing).  There is a small rectangular well under the cam that retains oil and lubes the cam at the startup - if you can get some motor oil in there it is the best protection for the cam/rockers....use a squeeze bottle with a 6" length of tubing.

If your fuel tank was clean you may try the petcock to see if fuel flows.  Put fresh fuel in the tank, turn the petcock to PRI, and open the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl and see if anything flows out.  If it does and it looks clean - close the petcock.

You obviously are going to need a new battery.

Then.....see if it will run!

If it starts and runs.....you can change the oil and filter after it is running a few minutes.

The test ride will let you know if you need to clean the carb.

Good luck!

Here is the link to the bike I brought out of storage.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/01/18 at 19:44:42

That's how you fire one up after sitting.
Good thing you asked.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 06/01/18 at 21:47:13

Flush fuel system and fresh fuel. I prefer about 10 to 15 drops of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder and let it sit at least over night or a day or two. Fresh air filter. Change oil & filter after it runs and a fresh spark plug.
Then hit the road , RSD !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/01/18 at 22:48:27

Why does it need a spark plug?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/01/18 at 23:53:00

JOG has a valid point, unless the plug is worn, corroded or gummed up check the gap and use it. A little carbon/soot may wash off with petrol. If your start up and initial oil change are successful, why not ride it before you start your project and commit money to it?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/02/18 at 02:43:35

Ruttly wrote on 06/01/18 at 21:47:13:
Flush fuel system and fresh fuel. I prefer about 10 to 15 drops of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder and let it sit at least over night or a day or two. Fresh air filter. Change oil & filter after it runs and a fresh spark plug.
Then hit the road , RSD !

Marvel Mystery oil is fine - so is the Sta-Bil Fogging oil....just don't start it with a dry cylinder.  Use the old plug so you don't get a new one all cruddy for this first start.

If the RYCA you are looking at is a Cafe' bike - read this before you buy a rear tire.......a 130/70-18 tire should not be installed on a 2.50x18 rim, as the tire is too wide.  Either use a 120/80-18 tire....or get a 3.50x18 rim if you want the 130/70 tire.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Smudger
YaBB Newbies

"There is No
Religion Higher Than
Truth"

Maryland
Reply #7 - 06/02/18 at 08:20:57

Dave, et. al., THANK YOU ALL! Please keep the suggestions coming.
I read Dave's restoration thread, great stuff.  I am feeling much more confident now and will go ahead and purchase the bike. I'll be working on it, slowly, over the summer, in between my road trips on my Indian. Then, if all goes well, plan to begin the RYCA build as a winter project.

Glad I asked and glad I joined the forum. Looking forward to learning from everyone and adding to my limited experience.

WWW   IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 06/02/18 at 13:06:36

Just start one cylinder at a time. Grin

IP Logged
Smudger
YaBB Newbies

"There is No
Religion Higher Than
Truth"

Maryland
Reply #9 - 06/02/18 at 19:20:00

hotrod wrote on 06/02/18 at 13:06:36:
Just start one cylinder at a time. Grin

Oh yeah, right. Forgot to ask. Which one first - the one in the front, or the one in the back?   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/02/18 at 22:25:43

No, the one in the middle.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 06/03/18 at 10:51:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/01/18 at 22:48:27:
Why does it need a spark plug?

Maybe it needs it and maybe it doesn't , but if I'm taking it out I would be installing a new , correct , properly gapped plug. One thing less to worry about , one more thing to be sure of !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Smudger
YaBB Newbies

"There is No
Religion Higher Than
Truth"

Maryland
Reply #12 - 04/10/21 at 19:23:19

UPDATE:
Can't believe 3 years have past since I OP'd this thread.  Never did buy the 2006 Boulevard S40.  Other things got in the way.  Well today the neighbor who owned it was moving.  The bike still sat in same place as in 2016, the last time it ran.  Well, she saw me leaving in my truck and flagged me down.  She offered the bike to me FREE.  Signed title over to me, gave me the keys and said "good luck".  Now I have the bike - which is restorable and repairable.  Only 5107 miles on it, original owner, all original parts and paint.  

So I am back to first tasks, be sure engine isn't frozen, get it running, then begin tear down and rebuild. Problem, I'm not sure RYCA is offering the RR-1 Kit anymore.  They have changed there business direction.  No response yet to my email to them.

Anyone know what's going on with them?
Anyone have suggestions on other build kits? (Not Cafe racer - bobber or other).

« Last Edit: 04/11/21 at 11:13:47 by Smudger »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/11/21 at 10:39:56

Get oil in the cylinder before you rake the rings up and down it.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 04/11/21 at 14:01:37

Quote:
Problem, I'm not sure RYCA is offering the RR-1 Kit anymore.  They have changed there business direction.  No response yet to my email to them.

Anyone know what's going on with them?
Anyone have suggestions on other build kits? (Not Cafe racer - bobber or other).

I'm pretty sure RYCA is out of that business.

If you are looking for a kit you might try this place: https://bluecollarbobbers.com/explore-kits/suzuki-kits/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 18:03:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommendations for S40 Engine Sitting for 5 Years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.