Send Topic Print
muffler replacement (Read 81 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
muffler replacement
05/30/18 at 10:49:04

got this great muffler last year. Wish I could tell you how great is is... NO..!!!!!!!!!!!!11 third try and I'm still too stupid to even figure out how to get the muffler guards off. took off 5 bolt and still won't even wiggle, even if the whole muffler and pipe are loose.  

anyone wanna help me find all the boltsa?  the one I think is from the top I can't get a wrench on.. even long socket so if thats the one  I'm screwed already agaij./,

wow another great 100*  day too down here. ustspen 20 min trying to get verizon phone to send a pic to  my email.

spend half hour in the handyman photos too...and  photosuckit killed all our pics in the tech.  

EDIT won't take my pics as usual try againl
EDIT for second pic againnl...

11_ss_muf2.jpg

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Re: muffler replacement
Reply #1 - 05/30/18 at 10:53:14

second pic of the bolt I cant reach.  cant even get a wrench on it t.,o size it

11_ss_muf3.jpg

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #2 - 05/30/18 at 11:47:09

so now it's 'loose' and rotates half an inch. still stuck. bolts won't come off the muffler so I can't 'lift' it off the bracket.  do I have to remove akethe front pipe guard and take it off the engine just to get the muffler off?

thisk is kwhy I don't like here. eve4ryk time it's e becausei im too retarded to fix it without spending $110 just on toools..
\
l
pawn shop to find some sockets so I can take off th pipe complketly
\\

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #3 - 05/30/18 at 11:59:08

moot poijnt now. just got 30 day notice have to move.   put it back and if I can take it maan hybe next year.  in 5 years less than 2000 miles.  I walked momre than thant.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/30/18 at 12:57:53

I've heard it can be pretty hard to get the stock muffler off the header pipe and that it's recommended to take the whole system off.  The amount of force it may take to get the muffler loose from the header puts too much stress on the header bolts.  Better safe than sorry.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 05/30/18 at 14:13:19

Tocsik wrote on 05/30/18 at 12:57:53:
I've heard it can be pretty hard to get the stock muffler off the header pipe and that it's recommended to take the whole system off.  The amount of force it may take to get the muffler loose from the header puts too much stress on the header bolts.  Better safe than sorry.

^^ What he said.

Undo the the header bolts
Undo the muffler bracket bolts
Undo the heat shelf bolts
Lift the whole lot off
Then disassemble the exhaust system

It's much easier.

But when reinstalling, first attach the header pipe (loosley, so it can still rotate) then get the muffler in position and attach (loosley). I only used one bolt, and loktite, because it doesn't line up exactly with the muffler rail. Then attach the heat sheild (very loosley). Then you can rotate the header a little, and jiggle the muffler to get it lined up the best you can. I slipped the home-made Hadley in at this point and got in position as best I could. Then make sure the heat sheild still lines up well enough. My header is slightly rotated away from the bike after all is said and done.

Oh! Don't forget to slip the muffler clamp over the intake on the muffler before doing all of that - doun't ask me how I know!

Then you can tighten up the header bolts first (do not over do it - light finger and thumb pressure is enough - too light is better than too tight!). Then tighten up the muffler clamp, then tighten up the heat sheild bolts.

Before you start, read the tutorial on here about cutting slots in the end of the Dyna muffler - if you haven't already.

Oh! And one of the heat sheild bolts is a through bolt that needs held on both sides of the bike. DO NOT reach around the front of the bike, to hold both bolts, if the header is hot - don't ask how I know.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/30/18 at 14:34:32

I swapped one out a year or two ago, it'll be easier off the bike, but it won't be easy.

Basically, you gotta loosen up the flange.
place 2 blocks on the floor, lay the muffler and header between and step on it.  Then rotate it and repeat.

You got it loose enough to rotate... you are half way there.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/30/18 at 20:54:59

There's no rules for getting out of a wet swimsuit. You get it to move and then you find another way to move it.
Don't leave it on the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 03:11:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.