rear tire 1 - me 0 (Read 245 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
rear tire 1 - me 0
05/27/18 at 18:46:04

I hate to admit this but it looks like the rear tire beat me. I wanted to remove the old rear tire, patch the tube and put the old rear tire on again while I await my new tube for my new tire. I was able to break the bead but with the tire irons from Harbor Freight and no rim guards it looks like I was starting to damage the rim. I tried putting a leather glove in between as protection for the rim but it just got in the way. It was 100 degrees out there with around 100% humidity and I finally just gave up. I guess I will not be riding until that new tube gets in and I will pay to have it all properly installed. Angry

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: rear tire 1 - me 0
Reply #1 - 05/27/18 at 18:56:05

Did you use the new zip tie tire changing method?    Or did you just wrestle with it twice, once for each bead?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/27/18 at 19:08:20

Sorry to read about that score, sounds like the Cleveland Browns.  I usually don't use the irons much when breaking the bead, I just try to squeeze down on the side wall and break it lose.  I don't use the irons (or spoons) until I've broken the bead. There are lots of ways to do it.  Some of the youtube videos are pretty good.  I did buy a couple rim protectors but mostly I just use some plastic cut from a laundry detergent bottle or something like that usually does the job.  Seems like heavy leather should also work, like from an old belt.
A hundred degrees and high humidity, that would drive me indoors for sure.  Get a cold one out of the fridge and watch a few of those guys on youtube changing tires.  You might change your mind and want to go at it again tomorrow.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 05/27/18 at 21:19:50

Fairly recently I removed a tire. That was enough for me, I took it to a dealer to have it put back on and I am not likely to ever do my own tire changes again. It really is a lot of sweaty work. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/28/18 at 03:27:35

Try letting it sit in the sun for a while before you start, the rubber gets more compliant if it's warmed up.  Then there is old adage, 'if you love it, lube it'  This couldn't be more true when it comes to tires.  If you don't have tire lube use soapy water liberally sprayed on both sides between the tire and the rim and find a way to keep the beads pushed into the rim on the side opposite where you start with your irons.  I usually work on with the wheel flat on the floor and put my knees on the edge closest to me to keep the beads compressed and pry on the other side.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/28/18 at 03:40:52

I am not sure the Zip Tie method works on a spoked rim - I watched the YouTube video on a tubeless sport bike rim, and it appeared to work well.  I suspect the center groove is deeper - I know for sure the wheel is wider and gives more room.

I have a couple pair of irons - the thin BikeBandit pair is my favorite:
https://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-tire-rep...

The BikeMaster pair is too thick and bulky:
https://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-tire-rep...

I have 4 of these rim protectors and it is the minimum number you can get by with.  I have learned to dislike these as they often fall into the tire as you are mounting the last bead....boy is it hard (impossible) to get them back out without taking the bead off again.

I have a pair of these, I need to get another pair and start using them as they are thinner and easy to keep in place.  (Want to buy my old white set with the strings?)

I also lube the tire with RU-GLYDE...works better than dish soap or WD40.
https://brocksperformance.com/ru-glyde-tire-mounting-lubricant-8-oz-bottle/

Even with all this stuff, sometimes they can be a pretty tough wrestling match.  Some tires are pliable - while some are incredibly stiff.  Even after doing a few of them every year....it is still a job that can be sweaty.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 05/28/18 at 05:34:52

Dave, I personally use the zip tie method on the Savage spoke rims.   The zip tie video examples I originally posted came from dirt bike tires.

I am at the weak edge of being strong enough to bead wrestle any more, but by using the zip tie trick it allows me to keep on doing it a little bit longer.    

Plus having two of these extra long curved "good leverage" Motion Pro tire irons  .....

.... and a couple of the long straight ones.

Did I ever mention Dave is quite strong?   He is, really.   Proof is his preference for tiny short tire irons that require much muscle instead of the good leverage they don't have.

Wink     Old fat guys like me need all the zip tie tricks and extra leverage that they can find to replace the muscle mass they no longer have ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 05/28/18 at 09:38:43

If I lived near I would come help. Its not just strength its technique that matters , something to work on helps too. I use a grease barrel with heater hose on the edge so spokes aren't scratched or damaged. Also use 2 sets  of rim protecters with 3 sets of levers ( different styles for different style rims/tires). No way to explain how cause it's different every time.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 05/28/18 at 19:14:51

Don't forget about SOAP , it is super important to lube that tire .    The rear of the Guzzi was SO EASY using the Zip-Tie method … but it is Tubeless too .   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/28/18 at 19:18:51

Thanks for the pointers. I did try getting a zip tie through there but was not successful. I think the zip ties I have were just too thin. Breaking the bead was easy using a ratchet strap to attach it to the jack and just a few strokes and the bead broke. If I decide to try again I think I will need at least one more spoon. Two just does not seem to be enough. Oh well, Memorial day weekend is basically over and I did not get to ride. Cest la vie!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/29/18 at 09:25:42

I'll try a front tire, but the rear is just too much. I'm old, beat up, out of shape and I don't want a real wrestling match with anything that isn't, well,  you work it out...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/29/18 at 09:33:52

I have to agree with you JOG, if you are going to wrestle, you may as well enjoy it.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/29/18 at 12:11:44

Even if you lose,
You win

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/29/18 at 18:54:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/29/18 at 09:25:42:
I'm old, beat up, out of shape and I don't want a real wrestling match with anything that isn't, well,  you work it out...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/29/18 at 19:11:43

I don't think that one would be fun.

Oh, by the way. Rear tire 2 - me 0. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 21:08:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › rear tire 1 - me 0

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.