Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 31
Send Topic Print
2020 -- new Intel failures & successes (Read 12299 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 2018 -- new Intel failures & issues
Reply #30 - 08/08/18 at 12:02:04

If you have turned off Windows updates, are they still @visiting@ your computer at night?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 08/08/18 at 12:16:02

Eegore,

To you, it is the same thing.   You were paying for your support blended into the cost of the new machines, now you will monthly lease the hardware/software package as a set.

Until the prices become published, nobody knows how bad the monthly bite is really going to be.

But I expect you will pay "more" this way .....       Roll Eyes    (in Mickey I can always trust it costs more and you have to pay it all again and again and again)

JC,

I suspect MS can visit you anyway as they have done so no matter what OS version you have used (including XP since they patched it 2 years ago so they could visit it).

Generally, MS leaves the XP machines alone since the machines are too weak to run Win 10 well at all.

« Last Edit: 08/08/18 at 17:01:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/08/18 at 17:14:49

What I'm wondering is if I will still need to pay an IT guy to hang around waiting for problems to occur, or can I just pay I guess Disney to do it as part of a monthly lease.

With that maybe I can lease the hardware and exchange it out every year, instead of buying 2 sets of everything annually.  

However I imagine if someone wants the same PC for a decade then they will have paid for it multiple times over.  Similar to how people lease an $80 modem from a cable company for $10 monthly for 5 years.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 08/08/18 at 17:38:10

I think your lease periods start at 3 years and go up from there ......  longer works better for MS so expect longer and "much longer" to be what is offered.

....... and over half of what your IT guy fixes are being done on Micky's fixes which are screwing other things up unexpectedly.

« Last Edit: 08/14/18 at 06:22:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/09/18 at 06:31:38

So what happens to companies like Dell?  Will I end up purchasing Dell hardware and leasing Disney or MS software, or will Dell just have to start using another software package?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 08/10/18 at 06:54:15

Dell will supply the machine with the software preloaded and MS will then require you to set up the payment plan with MS in order for it to work past that first initial period of time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #36 - 08/10/18 at 12:17:49

Just keeping you posted OF, Linux seems to be going ok, virtually no Google crashes, I note a number of Linux updates concern themselves with "Google Stability". Still have to use Windows for getting photos out of my phone.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 08/10/18 at 12:39:43

Intel is only half intelligent.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/10/18 at 14:24:41

Interesting that Microsoft would invest in creating a hardware competition against companies already packaging their product.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 08/10/18 at 19:45:35

Microsoft is acting to try to protect their monopoly position.

Chromebooks are getting ready to begin supporting MS applications based off of Wine and other FOSS Office running open source tools.

Although market share numbers are relatively low right now, Chromebooks are eating into business and Microsoft is acting first to first solidify and "guarantee' their dollar flows out into the future.

Discussions on Windows sites are centering around the "double pumping of charges"  (you paid once with the machine and now (when the software support stuff kicks off good) "you have to pay again in the monthly software charges".

There are many many user complaints now about MS's nightly update "service".

Nightly update errors are proliferating as MS shows all signs of knowing the updates are not ready but MS is wanting to go ahead and send them out and then correct them on the fly next week.

Sometimes corrections are very slow in coming ......   This poor level of user service is at the root of many MS complaints.   MS is actually creating a user mental impression of a "need" for them to constant fiddle with your machine.   They are also very carefully creating a mindset of complete dependency on the part of casual users.

If MS owns both equipment and software, they can do such activities on their machines both summarily and legally.    And charge whatever they want for the "service".

« Last Edit: 08/14/18 at 06:24:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 08/10/18 at 20:07:37

jcstokes wrote on 08/10/18 at 12:17:49:
Just keeping you posted OF, Linux seems to be going ok, virtually no Google crashes, I note a number of Linux updates concern themselves with "Google Stability". Still have to use Windows for getting photos out of my phone.

I don't follow this ...... you HAVE to have a gmail account that is linked to that android phone or else it simply won't function.  Really, you have one.   Find out what it is by following the instructions below.

"What Gmail account is my cell phone linked to?"

http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions.com/content/how-to-check-primary-gmail-a...

Now you need to set your phone to automatically back up your photos to Google Drive.   This is already done by default by the phone manufacturer in most cases.   But here are the steps in case you got a phone that didn't do this for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=setting+up+google+automatic+picture+backup&oq...

If you are saying you have to use Windows to move the pictures, this simply isn't so.   But the key element is finding your gmail.com account name and then telling your phone to save all your pictures automatically (automatic backup) to your Google drive that is linked to your phone account (this stays inside that 15 gigs they give you for free).    This gives you the constantly available source to get to your pics, from anywhere / any OS / any browser.

Your photos will go automatically to your Gmail Google drive within a minute or so after taking them.  Once your photos are backed up to your Google Drive you can go to your gmail.com account through anywhere / any OS / any browser, log into your gmail account and then cut and paste your pics (copy them manually) to any desktop (and that specifically includes Linux Mint Mate desktop) and then do whatever you want to do with them.

I keep an icon on my Chrome browser task bar that leads directly to my gmail.com account which is set up to remember the password, so to me it only a few clicks to get to all my pics.

Another way to get to them is to select the pics you want in your Google drive and download them (downloads shows up in your download folder and also along the bottom of a Chrome browser bar -- from there you can cut and paste them easily.

Tell us what you are having to do now to get your pictures off your phone and we can see if we can help you out there a bit.

« Last Edit: 08/23/18 at 18:25:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #41 - 08/11/18 at 23:06:18

OF, thanks for your assistance, there is some issue with the Google account and Google will help me resolve it, I think.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 08/12/18 at 21:03:02

https://liliputing.com/2018/08/would-you-dual-boot-windows-on-a-chromebook-if...

Windows Apps are coming to Chromebooks

I tell you about this stuff early, then we all track it as it arrives.  All of Android and all of Linux have now arrived on Chromebooks with us tracking it together as it happened, so you know about how this one is going to happen.  

Next thing coming to Chromebooks are Windows Apps, and they are coming to the beefier spec'd Chromebooks starting sometime around Christmas time .....  with MS Office likely being the very first item to jump over.   MS is pushing hard to require a SEPARATE Win 10 license for the Chromebook, a "required purchase" if MS gets their way.

FOSS is pushing for use of Wine code and the use of REACTOS base code instead of a full installation of Win 10 OS from Mickeysoft the way Mickey wants it to happen.

The Google code name for this effort is Campfire (Apple users from years back will get the semi-ironic Campfire reference).  Campfire involves existing legal physical copies of software (dvd or CD based software can be put on USB sticks) and downloaded live copies of licensed legal MS software.   It is being done as part of ChromeOS by Google, so it is and remains totally on the up and up.

Google is slowly breaking down the MS Office monopoly layer by layer while at the same time MS is trying to build it up and bind it all up even tighter and tighter together, now by actually owning the machines in question and locking down software to the individual hardware that resides on "their" machine.

Many people will not allow MS to take over legal ownership of their machines through a carefully and cleverly written EULA statement.

Enough MS functionality is already available in Wine and is also available in Reactos right now to support older versions of MS Word and older versions of the rest of the Office softwares completely separate from MS, while certainly not requiring the special Chromebook MS Win 10 installation/license that Mickey is currently wanting to have happen at this point in time.

I for one think MS Office actually hit its peak at Office 2007 / Office 2010 and MS Office software has declined yearly ever since then.   For me, drop down menus simply work a lot better than multiple copies of overly busy ribbon bars ever could, the six deep ribbon bars currently used struck me as confusing, distracting and intrusive and space wastingly STUPID when they first came out, and that opinion really hasn't changed very much over the years.    

And I think that the newer Word document save formats that actually require MULTIPLE FILES for each document (each saved separately) to be build up to the finished document were nothing more than a gimmick to lock in an entire generation of Word users into having to upgrade their machines and software.

Plus, I find the doc system used by FOSS Libre Office to be quite usable, I can use Libre Write with no more real effort on my part than it would take to re-look up the old Office 2007 commands & menu locations.    

FOR EXAMPLE, on my big Linux box the defaults for Libre Office are set to match up my wife's favorite MS Word version so she can open and save her docs to and from my machine with no extra thought on her part.   The only complaint she has made is "Your menus are funny" but she can use it just fine when she sits down at my machine.

What makes this all work together now on Chromebooks, when it couldn't in the past ???

Chromebook processors have all gotten a lot stronger, and Chromebook systems memory has grown to be large enough to hold it all Mickey style.  The newest generations of Chromebooks all include 128 to 258 gigs of on motherboard SSD memory courtesy of the new fast inexpensive SSD chipsets that solder directly on to the motherboard (chip is about the size of a large postage stamp).   These were developed by Samsung for cell phones, btw ......

This MS Software using evolution of Chromebooks is intended to ease Google's way into the Business world, and it is being done very logically and completely on the legal up and up.    MS's reaction (new leasing of machine and software and rolled over to a locked down software hardware set up) is a move that IT managers as a whole ARE NOT GOING TO TOLERATE.  

The IT managers will simply send the nonsense over to Legal for litigation, as they know they have over 10 years remaining on their existing current licenses and matching service agreements ........

Roll Eyes

A Chromebook is always less expensive than a Windows machine, and it now runs ALL forms of software with the exception of the Apple Mac stuff, which nobody really wants to do that all that much anyway.    

Those few that do want to run Apple Mac software on Windows machines use Virtual Box software to do so .....  so yes it can be done if you really really want to do it.

« Last Edit: 08/14/18 at 18:26:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 08/12/18 at 22:13:47

jcstokes wrote on 08/11/18 at 23:06:18:
OF, thanks for your assistance, there is some issue with the Google account and Google will help me resolve it, I think.

Many folks get issues with Gmail.com due to changing over their phones multiple times (phones come and go after all) and leaving them all linked to the same old Gmail account.   Or in my case I had my wife's phone linked on the same account as my two phones (that got confusing to no end, believe me).

People forget that their Gmail.com account was set up under old (sometimes quite old) versions of Android and that old stuff goes obsolete and flat dies section by section after a while.

I learned a trick back then, I always start up a new Gmail.com account for each new phone / Android version and carefully delete all the old Gmail.com accounts associated with your name when the phones are gone.

This maintains the 15 gigs of free storage for each separate account/phone and if you name the accounts right you can instantly know which account supports which phone.

When I did this I lost a whole world of crap vendor calls and tons of phone adwares that were getting to me courtesy of some old Samsung phones that were gone like over  5+ years ago ......

It is simpler to start over fresh once per phone than to endlessly fight the reoccurring problems that can come from reusing ancient old Gmail.com accounts, really .......

The effort to start up a new Gmail.com account is easy, actually, and the effort to associate that new account to your new phone is dead easy if you are cranking up a new phone anyway.   Doing it on an existing phone requires going through some menus, but it isn't all that bad.

« Last Edit: 08/16/18 at 13:41:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 08/16/18 at 00:11:01

https://liliputing.com/2018/08/linux-based-steam-os-may-add-support-for-windo...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/valve-seems-to-be-working-on-tools-to-...

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/15/windows-steam-games-linux-compatibility-stea...

As we read more and more about Windows apps running on Chromebooks we began looking for the reverse corollary move to take place, which involves sucking certain select Windows apps into the world of Linux.  In looking at this, we do find there is one something that MS forbids in the most rabid fashion possible.  

Games, baby, its all about the games ......

MS has spent CONSIDERABLE effort and $$$ in corralling games all about so that they will only run on Windows.

In the age of Snaps and Flatpacks and with all the efforts FOSS has spent on getting Wine and Reactos drivers to run Windows Apps on Chromebooks, this means the tools now exist to put together a Snap or a Flatpack to run a Windows game on a specific Linux distro.  

With a little cooperation and legwork from the gamer side of things, the most modern version of the proposed gaming Snaps & Flats should run on ANY Linux distro.

Gabe at Steam has been working along with gamers and FOSS to make this happen.   MS is upset with Gabe, very much so as this threatens their gaming monopoly in a big huge fashion.

MS is now attempting several new lock downs on their OS to stop this from working.   FOSS enthusiasts and their lawyers are using the term "actions in the restraint of free trade" over these changes which is all the pre-suit warning they are going to give MS that MS is going a few steps over the line that are simply too too far right now .......    

MS shows no signs of giving a crap about restraint of trade because if they lose their gaming lock along with their Office lock then that is the potential start of "game over" for MS.

Roll Eyes           ....... after 3 weeks, some sage words from an early user/developer ........

There are a bunch of warnings indicating that if you try to run games that haven’t been verified to work, they might crash or you might have problems saving games, among other things. But SteamOS would certainly be a lot more attractive if it suddenly gained access to even a small fraction of the Windows-only games that don’t currently run on the operating system. Steam Play might be able to accomplish that.

Here are a few things to keep in mind though:

Valve hasn’t officially confirmed that it’s working on the feature, so there’s no word on when it will launch… or if it ever will.

It’s unclear if Valve is building its own Windows compatibility tools or just integrating WINE, an existing open source compatibility layer that already makes it possible to play some Windows games on Linux (or Android). If I had to bet, I’d say the latter is the more likely option.

Games tend to run somewhat slower on SteamOS than they do on Windows.

« Last Edit: 08/23/18 at 18:30:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 03:18:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2020 -- new Intel failures & successes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.