Send Topic Print
bullet proof clutch (Read 117 times)
Danmiller369
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bullet proof clutch
05/25/18 at 07:25:26

This may sound ridiculous but I love reeving out my ls650 and dumping the clutch on a take off. I love this bike cause the lack of power it has and my ability to just molest it at every stop light and corner.

With that being said, the clutch doesn't grip like it used to. Before I could wheelie the bike and now it wont. It hasn't held up like my spot bike clutches have in the past. (to no surprise)

anyways, what the best clutch out there for these bikes? I need something that is bullet proof and grabs like hell.

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Re: bullet proof clutch
Reply #1 - 05/25/18 at 07:52:14

Check out the Chain Conversion thread. Post #4 talks about clutch slippage due to the increased torques. Buy multiples if you're going to abuse the clutch. No judgement, it's your bike, just remember that your smoking the clutch and will have to replace the parts more often.

Also if you really want to pop-up the front, the chain conversion will allow that without putting as much stress on the drive line.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

"tbalam wrote on 03/25/07 at 17:52:20:
Since hutch mentioned clutch slippage, if you go to a gear ratio that is high like 2.5-2.75 it may be an issue.
the springs on the savage are not that good so here are the part numbers for a high friction plates and springs from bike bandit.

Bike bandit sells the vesrah plates and springs for the savage.  

VC330- Plates - 79.95
SK330- springs - 10.95

These should take care of any clutch slippage that is caused by the additional load generated by these gear ratios.

Oh, and the conversion was totally worth it. at 17/43 in fourth gear i am where i used to be in fifth gear. SO now I have an extra gear to play with 80 mph is now an easy lope with still alot more throttle to go.

"

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/25/18 at 08:13:32

The clutch on the Savage has not got a lot of "extra ability".  If you use a good 10W-40 oil and avoid friction modifiers and Moly, and you keep it properly adjusted and don't abuse it....it does the job.  I always make sure when I am riding that the lever is all the way out and the clutch is fully engaged before I apply the throttle.

I have just installed EBC springs and Kevlar friction plates - it is too early to report on how well they work, as I have only put about 200 miles on them and I have not tried to abuse them yet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/25/18 at 17:41:16

I really enjoyed revving up my 283 , 1962 model Impala and dropping it in Drive. I Knew it was a bad idea, but it's So Fun, I just had to do it..
And then one day it started slipping,
And I bought a transmission and took the last thirty something bucks from that hundred dollar bill to a shop and they put it in. A hundred bucks for the fun, I never regretted that, but I didn't do it anymore.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/25/18 at 20:42:46

DM369,     I think your asking the impossible ,I doubt any clutch will put up with that kind of abuse forever, you need to chill.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/26/18 at 04:28:14

If you did get the clutch bulletproof and continued dropping the clutch - the belt may be the next thing to protest by failing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/26/18 at 07:53:02

This is the same design as most clutches but doesn't seem to be built heavy enough for a 650. The baskets and retainer are weak and won't live long under such abuse. I use the Barnett clutch and spring kit , works good.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/27/18 at 06:06:51

Even if the clutch holds ,I'd be watching for stress on the teeth of the front pulley/main shaft ,if the pulley nut got loose from your hotdogging ,those teeth would be damaged fairly quick.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/27/18 at 08:54:53

If you enjoy flogging it, flog it.
It's gonna cost.
Eventually, it's gonna stop playing.
It's not designed for that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/27/18 at 12:53:43

Hey Ruttly, where did you get that Barnett clutch kit?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/27/18 at 16:49:05

As I recall it was on eBay. Was a kit steel plates , friction plates & springs for a Savage , think it was $110.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 05/28/18 at 14:27:42

Current list price for friction plated and springs is $105.03 from Barnett.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:43:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bullet proof clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.