Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Running rich? (Read 166 times)
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running rich?
05/24/18 at 15:21:21

I went for a ride yesterday and had a buddy following me on his bike, he told me that if he ever wants to get high that he will just let me lead....... if he can smell that its rich going 25mph and following me then would you say I might be a little rich???? Straight pipe with a baffled dump tip, 55pilot and 160 main if i remember correctly and the adjustment screw is about 2 turns out also a open filter set up... just seeking a little input, thx

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Running rich?
Reply #1 - 05/24/18 at 15:23:30

A 160# main is huge...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/24/18 at 16:29:20

I'll double check it maybe the 157.5. I thought that was big too

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/24/18 at 16:45:04

What made you decide to go with a 160 main jet ?
Or even a 157.5 ?

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/24/18 at 17:04:05

Some of the advice from others on a particular forum......... ahem ahem. Lol I was having tuning issues with my carb and the whole running to lean thing scared me a bit. Also I have a needle that's adjustable to simulate the white space mode or no space setting. I would like to jet down and not hurt anything or get to lean but after my buddy told me that he could smell it while riding g behind me I think I'd be ok to go with the 155 main?

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/24/18 at 17:10:11

Just went through my jets and I do have the 155 jet in.... jeez I'm all over the place any way given the circumstances of rich exhuast could I still jet down

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 05/24/18 at 17:55:19

It's good to remember that all your jets are cumulative, that is when your at wide open throttle ,you are still getting fuel flow from the pilot jet and everything in between. If your friend is smelling you at 25 mph, it doesn't have much to do with your main jet that really doesn't come into play until 3/4 throttle, so your 155 main may be fine. I would think,  either your pilot jet is to large or your needle is adjusted to high or both . Then again your running a straight pipe which gives you a very narrow power band,and may be giving you good performance at higher speeds and bad performance at lower speeds , and maybe no amount of carb tuning will give you good overall performance.(without a muffler)

« Last Edit: 05/27/18 at 07:13:47 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/25/18 at 02:55:05

What elevation are you riding at?  What air cleaner you using?

My "GO TO" place to start with jetting is a #150 main and a #50 pilot, and 3 washers on the needle in place of the white spacer (I ride between 500 - 800 feet msl).

On a few bikes the #52.5 pilot works better....I have never needed to go bigger on the main jet.  The higher elevations need smaller jets to account for the thinner air.

I would start with the clip in the middle on the needle, and raise the needle (lower the clip toward the tapered end) a notch at a time if you get a slow speed surge at 1/8 throttle.....like when you are leaving a STOP sign at a school crossing and the Police are watching you.

Your open pipe may give you some problems with jetting and may require a bit bigger jets than I use - but it is obvious you have gone too large with your current setup.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/25/18 at 18:48:40

Thx I'll adjust the needle and go down to the 150 main jet and order a 50 pilot.  My air cleaner is just a big open double foam UNI with the factory connector from the carb.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/25/18 at 18:58:56

And elevation is between 500 to 2000, mostly of it is about the 800 ft mark for my daily riding

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/25/18 at 20:28:04

At 0 to 1000ft above sea level most run a 55 pilot and a 155 main jet and two washers (1/2 SPACER) to raise the needle, but that's with a muffler . a straight pipe may require you to run richer. I believe a 50 /150 jets would have you running much to lean, but I would be looking at lowering your needle, at 25mph your just past max flow of the pilot,  and the starting to raise the slide/needle and getting to much fuel.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/26/18 at 04:37:55

Shrulk wrote on 05/24/18 at 17:10:11:
Just went through my jets and I do have the 155 jet in.... jeez I'm all over the place any way given the circumstances of rich exhuast could I still jet down

Shrulk wrote on 05/25/18 at 18:48:40:
Thx I'll adjust the needle and go down to the 150 main jet and order a 50 pilot.  My air cleaner is just a big open double foam UNI with the factory connector from the carb.

Not sure about a big foam filter.....the #150 main and #50 pilot may not be right (but those jets do work well with the stock paper air cleaner).

If you are currently running a #155 main and a #55 pilot and your bike is stinky.....it is pretty obvious that it is too darn rich.  I still stand by my suggestion to try a #150 main...the pilot could either be a #50 or #52.5 - you need to determine which one works best for you by setting the idle speed really low, then adjusting the air/fuel screw for the smoothest idle.  If you can turn the needle all the way in and the bike still runs - the jet is too big.  If you have to turn the screw out more than 2.5 turns to get a smooth idle, then the pilot jet is too small.

Here are a couple videos to help you understand how to set the idle fuel/air screw.  Be sure to set the idle speed back up to 1,100 rpm after the adjustment is completed (low idle speeds don't provide enough oil pressure to keep the cam lubed).  The Savage has a "FUEL" mixture screw, and turning the screw out provides a richer mixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpQjDQzX7g&t=22s

Are you still running the stock vacuum petcock?  It could be that the diaphragm is going bad and you are sucking fuel into the vacuum line from the petcock.  If so.....disconnect the vacuum line and you should not see/smell any fuel in that line.  You can plug the line with a golf tee or screw put a rubber cap on the nipple, then set the petcock to PRI and go for a ride with your buddy behind.....and see if the rich smell is gone.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/18 at 20:54:07

I swapped out the main jet for the 150, bike accelerates much better. I have a knock off raptor petcock which will be replaced with a genuine one soon as this one still feeds in the off position and the fitting for the fuel line falls out... when adjusting the fuel mix I am a bit lost. I know seems easy. I have my mix screw about 3/4 turn out,   anything other than that it stalls. How many turns out from bottomed out should I start with the idle adjustment????  Seems like I adjust mix scree and it seems to be around 1000 rpms once adjusted. Will be playing with it more tomorrow, have to get that fancy harbor freight impact screw driver to get to the needle

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/30/18 at 21:50:31

You adjust the idle speed with the knurled screw on the left side of the carb which controls the butterfly valve . You adjust the fuel mix ,(air to fuel ratio at idle) with the fuel screw on the right side of the carb. You don't adjust the idle speed with the mix screw.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/30/18 at 22:11:07

Yeah I get that part. Is there a starting point with the knurled screw like X amount of turns from bottom to start with?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:52:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running rich?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.