Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low MPG and Clunky w/o Choke... (Read 56 times)
Citysavage88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Low MPG and Clunky w/o Choke...
05/23/18 at 07:47:37

I'm a bit stumped as to what's happening with my bike. It's a 2009 - I've been riding it for a year and purchased it with only 400 miles on it. The person who had it before me said they rebuilt the carb because it'd been sitting for a long time without being ridden.

My issue is that I'm experiencing two things that seem to signify two opposite problems. I've only been getting about 50 miles on a full tank before I have to refill which would seem to mean that I'm running rich; at the same time, the bikes been running really clunky when I push the choke in - it runs much better and much more smoothly with the choke out, which would seem to mean that it's running lean.

I'm not sure how to deal with both of these problems. I've changed the Petcock to the Raptor.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Low MPG and Clunky w/o Choke...
Reply #1 - 05/23/18 at 08:07:26

I would suggest starting with a fresh carb cleaning......then you have some basis to suggest that the jets are clean and working as they should.

Once the bike is started and warmed up.......you should never have to use the choke again for the rest of the day (unless it is 30 degrees).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/23/18 at 08:15:09

Air leak?...  Is the vacuum tube outlet capped?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/23/18 at 20:56:54

If you have to run with the choke on ,I would guess that your pilot jet is plugged (which would make the carb run lean without the choke) but when you pull the choke out ,it's running way to rich ( which accounts for your 50 miles /per tank full, when you should be getting 50 mpg, and you poor running) You should clean the carb , and check to see if the PO changed jet sizes. If you tell us about your intake, and exhaust systems along with your elevation above sea level we may be able to suggest proper jetting.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Citysavage88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Reply #4 - 05/24/18 at 05:55:54

Thanks all - this is really helpful. The vacuum line looks like it's still plugged...I'll take a look at the carb to make sure the jets are clean and let you all know what happens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 06:18:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low MPG and Clunky w/o Choke...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.