Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2004 Savage with 300 miles (Read 66 times)
RoughRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2004 Savage with 300 miles
05/21/18 at 10:43:32

New member here so hello. I do some small engine repair and got in a 2004 Suzuki Savage with a no start condition and that at the time had 295 miles on the odometer (it has about 30o now as I have been working on it and test riding it).

It was easy to get it started and tuned up a bit so it didn't backfire (very lean, carb had all kinds of gunk from bad fuel) and it now runs great and I kind of like it for a bar hopper bobber project. The owner bought it and then parked it in a barn for years and now indicates she is interested in selling it.

So my questions are:

1. The NADA has it pegged at about 1K in value and it has some tank dings, it will obviously need new tires, the rear wheel has serious corrosion from chicken nuts in the barn, and it just frankly isn't a real valuable bike so I was thinking of starting off with a $1200 cash offer. Any comments? Too insulting? What would any of you think the top price you would pay for something that sat for most of 14 years?

2. I don't want to set the idle too low for oiling reasons but it really does not like to go slow in first gear without slipping the clutch and I can't really find out what is normal and what indicates a problem. I live on a farm and have a gravel drive so slow is the go to for obvious reasons; is slipping the clutch to go slow normal?

3. I think I have covered most of the items to check for a long term stored and neglected bike (I am well familiar with the Suzuki pet thingy issue for instance, the Savage isn't the only Suzuki bike with that problem) but is there anything savage specific to be aware of? The bike seems in great shape with little corrosion except for the back wheel and the wiring is amazingly untouched by rodents.

I have been riding since the late 60s when I got my first dirt bike and I have had numerous bikes over the years but never a one cylinder and a 650 like this is about the smallest bike I have had in decades but one twist of the throttle in second gear and I was kind of hooked! Thanks to all in advance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2004 Savage with 300 miles
Reply #1 - 05/21/18 at 10:59:49

I bought a similar bike a few years ago for $500, it was a 2002 model with 3,800 miles on it.  The bike was stored in a storage shed with a dirt floor, and it actually cleaned up pretty well.  I took the head cap off to fix an oil leak and I found the cam and rockers were worn.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732

In this area you can buy pretty nice bikes for $1,500 - so the only thing this bike has going for it is the low mileage.  Corrosion is nearly impossible to correct - so if that kind of thing bothers you spending more money for a cleaner bike is likely a better way to go.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 05/21/18 at 21:01:48

The mileage is low, but it's 14 years old. There is no shortage of Savages/ S40's to be had for about a grand, and they are running and on road. I don't know that there is any insulting offer for a bike that's been sitting and collecting rust for "years".

Slipping the clutch is normal for go slow. It's got a lot of torque and long gearing. It takes a little getting used to when just playing around in the driveway and parking lot.

I'd be inclined to start at, or a little above what Dave indicated and realize it's a negotiation. NADA is always above what the street is paying and reflects what dealers are "reporting" they price them at. They are a popular trade-in at Harley dealerships.

IP Logged
RoughRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/22/18 at 07:04:04

Thanks guys. My biggest concern is that I want to be fair and not seem like I am taking advantage of someone as the gal is on the lower end of the economic scale. I should also clarify, its not a rust bucket by any means and I will try and post some pictures, it just has some severe corrosion on the back wheel from the urea in the chicken litter and a few rusty bolts.

I am glad I was doing it right with the clutch slipping at low speed too, I have been bikeless for about 9 years now and am coming down in size. I have had numerous Harleys, a VTX, KZ1000, Viragos, an old Triumph, several CBs and my all time favorite bike a 77 KZ900 Police Special.

I cannot ride long distance due to a spinal fusion and numerous titanium plates keeping me together (I retired as an Infantryman after 24 years active duty) so I am mostly looking to get back into it as a local fun bike.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/22/18 at 09:56:18

Tons of clean, low mile examples in my area for $1,500 and few decent ones for $1,000.  I'd offer $1,000.  Your $1,200 might be a fair price if it cleans up fairly well, but it probably won't be worth much more than you have in it when you get tires on it.  But it's low miles and you have plans for it...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 14:12:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2004 Savage with 300 miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.