Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble with a new-to-me Savage (Read 201 times)
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Re: Having trouble with a new-to-me Savage
Reply #15 - 05/19/18 at 18:59:54

Quote:
Pop the cap after it stalls see if it starts.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

2002 Suzuki Savage LS650P
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 05/19/18 at 20:18:59

If the vent holes in the cap are plugged you should hear air being sucked in as you remove the cap and it should start almost immediately .If not I'd pull the carb and do a good cleaning. You did plug the opening in the carb for the vacuum hose, right?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Reply #17 - 05/20/18 at 00:35:52

batman wrote on 05/19/18 at 20:18:59:
You did plug the opening in the carb for the vacuum hose, right?

Yep. I'll try to get it to die on me, and then see if it restarts with the fuel cap off in the morning and report back.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #18 - 05/20/18 at 05:23:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/18 at 06:57:51:
Test?
Mine was fine when I bought the bike.
Got the raptor and shelved it.
It was a good thing.
The old one went tits up in no time.
They are just a problem waiting to happen.
Get ya a nice new Raptor, in a Genuine Yamaha part box.

I agree, a tried and tested solution to a problem that WILL happen!
Steer clear of the cheap knock offs, O.E.M. Yamaha as stated

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Reply #19 - 05/22/18 at 19:57:36

Okay, time for an update.

I got the new Yamaha petcock and the new not-soaked-in-gasoline-and-who-knows-what-else air filter in today, and went about changing them out. The petcock fit perfectly, and I inspected over and over to make sure there were no leaks. All gravy. I drained yet more gasoline from the air filter housing (assuming this was thanks to the original vacuum petcock not functioning properly). I made sure the vacuum port on the carb was capped off.

So, once I was sure everything was right and clean, I fired her up. She started with no problem, and this time she sounded smoother and stronger than she has since I got her. I made sure to sit down and keep her upright while idling (and giving a bit of throttle to hear if there was any popping or hesitating at higher RPMs...there was a bit), and let her run for a good little while.

She ran really well. Just as I was thinking it might be safe to go ahead and take her for a spin around the block...she sputtered and died again. Just like before - ran strong for about five to ten minutes, then died as if out of gas, and is refusing to start back up (will probably start back up in about ten minutes or so after sitting for a bit).

So, running down the list of things to check:

• Replace the stock vacuum petcock with a Yamaha Raptor - check
  • Replace the clogged, soaked air filter with a new clean filter - check
  • Replace the hasty bent-over-and-clamped vacuum hose with a cap - check
  • After the bike died, I opened the gas tank lid to ensure it wasn't a clogged cap vent - bike still did not start back up
  • Checked the oil level - oil seems fine. Impossible at the moment to do a sniff test to check whether there's gas in the oil, since the entire garage currently smells like fuel, but I'll be changing the oil in the next day or so anyway
  • Put Seafoam in the gas tank to help clean the carb (at least as well as it could with the limited time it's able to stay running)

It would seem I'm running out of solutions that don't involve tearing down the carb and cleaning it by hand.  Undecided Anyone have any ideas before I get my hands really dirty?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 05/22/18 at 20:09:09

Did you pull the gas cap and hear a sucking sound?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 05/22/18 at 20:32:57

Sorry, but I think its time to break down and clean the carb, or at least pull the float bowl and clean the jets, and fuel filter that sits above the float valve seat. It is the last thing in the fuel line ,an may well be the problem ,if partly plugged it would allow you to idle the bike for a few minutes before the bowl level dropped below the jets and stalled. but the faster you ride the bike (40) the faster the level drops. It would allow starting the bike after a bit of time because the bowl level would recover. but than the same cycle would repeat .you sould also check your float for leaks or improper level.

IP Logged
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Reply #22 - 05/23/18 at 05:50:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/18 at 20:09:09:
Did you pull the gas cap and hear a sucking sound?

I pulled the gas cap, did not release any pressure, and the bike still refused to start.

batman wrote on 05/22/18 at 20:32:57:
 Sorry, but I think its time to break down and clean the carb, or at least pull the float bowl and clean the jets, and fuel filter that sits above the float valve seat. It is the last thing in the fuel line ,an may well be the problem ,if partly plugged it would allow you to idle the bike for a few minutes before the bowl level dropped below the jets and stalled. but the faster you ride the bike (40) the faster the level drops. It would allow starting the bike after a bit of time because the bowl level would recover. but than the same cycle would repeat .you sould also check your float for leaks or improper level.

Yep, I figure that's where I am at this point. Weekend project this week.

IP Logged
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Reply #23 - 06/04/18 at 19:53:15

Figured you guys were due for an update!

Alright, so the last couple weeks have been interesting for me. After all the previous trouble, I decided that this thing just needed to be torn down, cleaned out, and brought back to "certified pre-owned" status.

So I used the guides on this site (thank goodness for you guys!) to tear half the bike apart, pull off the carb, tear it down, and clean it. Lo, and behold - the jets were completely and totally gunked up - one had what looked like solid carbon buildup totally stopping up a jet to the point you couldn't even tell there was supposed to be a hole there. A few hours with a brush, a rag, and some parts cleaner later, and everything was shiny and new and non-sticky. Putting it back together, though, I wasn't paying enough attention when I went to put the float bowl cover on, and when I pawed at the gasket...I snapped it. Because of course I did. So I decided to put the carb rebuild on hold until I could order a new gasket, but there's other maintenance to be done!

So I decided to change the oil and oil filter while I've got everything all torn apart. I drain the oil, and it's a good thing I did - there was so much fuel in the oil that it was basically just oil-colored gasoline rather than anything resembling oil anymore. No wonder it was running rough! Go to change the filter, and as soon as I get the filter cover off, I'm greeted with a torn O-ring covered in RTV. That's right - the last guy to do an oil change tore the O-ring, and instead of replacing it like he should have, just stuffed it back into the cover and smothered it in RTV. Spent the next few minutes cleaning blue silicone out of everything, and realized I don't have a new O-ring that will fit. Welp, I've already gotta order a gasket, so might as well add this to the list!

Cleaned even more fuel out of the air filter housing, and then waited. Took about a week to get my new parts in the mail, while my poor bike languished in the garage, torn to pieces. But finally they came, and today, after lots of cussing at myself for putting things together out of order, having to take them back apart and then do it correctly, I finally got it all done.

Flipped on the fuel flow, opened up the choke, and...IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to adjust the idle, I think I might have it set a little high right now. It took a little coaxing to get it to stay running without the choke open, but after it ran for a few minutes and warmed up and everything got to cycling like it was supposed to, it sounded great (to my untrained, non-ASE-certified ears, anyway), it ran strong, and most importantly...IT DIDN'T DIE! I let it run for a bit (kept it upright and not on the kickstand) and then took it for a couple spins around the block. It ran strong, didn't give me any hesitation on acceleration, and never acted like it wanted to die.

I feel great. This is the first time I've ever pulled apart a bike to this extent, and the first time I've ever disassembled a carburetor, and I feel like I've truly accomplished something. I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who gave me advice and answered my questions, and thanks to all the folks who wrote the awesome, awesome guides on this site. You're all saints in my book.

Next week, I get it tagged and registered, and I'll get to start (legally) driving it to work for the summer. I'm really excited. Thanks again, everyone!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 06/05/18 at 00:25:24

Idling on the sidestand will wreck the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HenryTM82
YaBB Newbies

Total Newbie

Manhattan, KS
Reply #25 - 06/05/18 at 00:28:21

I'm aware, which is why I specified:

”kept it upright and not on the kickstand"

Wink

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 06/06/18 at 08:41:52

Good job!  Enjoy!  ( you may want to check  the front drive pulley for tightness , valve clearances,  and cam chain tensioner -depending on your mileage )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:01:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble with a new-to-me Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.