Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade (Read 546 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade
Reply #45 - 05/30/18 at 23:50:44

Then I made a 11/16" diameter hole with a step drill at the rear portion of the muffler just aft of the perforated plate.  The step drill is the way to go, it works great.

Here's a pic of that hole.

IMG_03081.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 05/30/18 at 23:58:56

The pictures and sketch should provide you with a general idea where the mods are done.

I drilled through two of the 5/8-18 UNF bolts with a 7/16" bit.  To make things fancy I cut back the undersides of the bolt heads so that the corners of the hex head don't contact the interior of the muffler and prevent a decent seal.

Then I bored out one side of each 90 degree fitting to accept 1/2" conduit.  I wanted to set it up with a slip fit to accommodate expansion.

Here's a pic of the fittings & bolts.

IMG_03101.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 05/31/18 at 00:00:00

Here's another shot of the modified hardware.

IMG_03111.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 05/31/18 at 00:12:30

Once I had the hardware fabricated, I cut a section of 1/2" electrical conduit to a length that would provide about 1/8" axial movement when everything was assembled.  I wanted the conduit to be able to expand and contract without being restrained.

I assembled the fittings and conduit and installed the end cap with attenuation tube.  It was time for a sound test.  I was concerned that the sound level would increase to a point that was unacceptable to me.

Here is a pic of the assembly prior to the sound test.

IMG_03061.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 05/31/18 at 00:24:51

The sound test was great.  Best as I could tell, the sound level was pretty much the same.  So I knew adding the additional transit tube (3) from chamber "X" to chamber "Z" would not alter the sound appreciably.

Now it was time to improve flow between chambers "Z" & "Y".  That's pretty easy to accomplish.  I wanted to try and keep the flow rates balanced so I calculated how many 3/16" diameter holes have a cross sectional area equivalent to the 7/16" diameter holes I drilled in the 5/8-18 bolts.  It works out to about 5.4 so I drilled 5 holes 3/16" diameter through solid plate "C".  This allows the hot gasses to transit from chamber "Z" to chamber "Y".  It was very easy to drill the holes using a long 3/16" drill bit (12" long).  I chose 3/16" because if I want to reverse the mod all I have to do is fill each hole with a #14 sheet metal screw.

Here is a pic of the long drill bit.

IMG_03091.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 05/31/18 at 00:39:25

After I drilled the five 3/16" diameter holes in solid plate "C", I reassembled everything and gave it another sound test.  It was a bit louder but still easily passed my personal evaluation.  This thing is very quiet.  Very, very close to stock.

On the poor man's flow bench the backpressure registered at 27-3/4" H2O.  So the backpressure was reduced an additional 1-1/4" H2O.  I thought it would be more but I'm not gonna look any gift horses in the mouth.

I took it for a road test and it was sweet.  Very quiet, no afterfire, good power all around.  It felt a little light on fuel so I upped the main jet to a 152.5.  It really came alive after that.  The modified muffler really compliments the airbox and cam.  With everything working together this thing really scoots.  It loves the freeway.  Screw it on and it just goes.  I love it.  It might even be able to take a 155 main.  

Here's a pic of the modified exhaust with the extra transit tube.  Ooops! Can't see the tube?  That's cause it's pretty stealthy.

IMG_03141.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 05/31/18 at 00:40:39

Here's a pic at a different angle.  You can see the transit tube peeking out.

IMG_03161.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 05/31/18 at 00:42:07

Here's a shot from down low.  You get a good view of things from this angle.

IMG_03171.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 05/31/18 at 00:53:04

So far, this line of modification has worked quite well.  The sound level is still very close to stock.  The power feels very good.  There are no carburetion problems.  It pretty much looks the same unless you bend down and take a peek.  I like it.

If you wanna keep your stock muffler, these mods will improve performance without making a bunch of noise.   One very nice feature is the fact that the noise level is so low.  When you screw on the throttle you get the sensation of acceleration without being biased by a bunch of thunder clap from the exhaust.  It just loves the freeway with this setup.

You can go WOT without attracting all sorts of unwanted attention.  You don't alert every cop in the surrounding counties when you hit the wick.  You don't scare the bejesus out of granny in the next lane when you blast off.  Silent but deadly.  Sweeet!

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 06/16/19 at 17:12:57

I'm pulling this old post forward so Junker can get a look at what's should be inside his stock muffler.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:48:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.