Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade (Read 546 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade
Reply #30 - 05/18/18 at 17:38:14

I scrounged up two more mufflers for comparison.  A stock Harley muffler from a 1990 FLSTC (Heritage Classic) and a Supper Trap for a Harley Softail.  The stock Harley unit is pre Catalyst and it did not flow as well as the Dyna unit with a catalytic element.  I tested the SuperTrap with several disc combinations.

Here's a pic of the Heritage unit under test.  It pulled 31" Hg.

IMG_02881.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 05/18/18 at 17:47:09

Here's a pic of the SuperTrap.  With 21 discs it pulled a measly 13" Hg, best so far.  Beats all others in the flow department.  With 14 discs it pulled 14.5 " Hg, and with 7 discs it pulled 17" Hg.  So even with only 7 discs it still flows much better than all others.  I ran these mufflers on my Harley about 20 years ago.  They were too loud, and I even flunked safety inspection with them.  I had to go home and install the stock exhaust system to get my safety sticker.  The inspector was a jerk, but what can I say, he was only doing his job.  When I returned for reinspection he showed me a letter that the state had sent to all the inspection stations.  The letter said SuperTraps were considered  "cutouts" because you could remove the  disc element.  Those mufflers were a bit too loud for me, but they were quieter than any other system I ran on that bike.

IMG_02891.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 05/18/18 at 17:48:43

Look what I found in my junk pile.  I think this is a perfect chunk of tubing for Stage II.

IMG_02861.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 05/18/18 at 17:55:28

When I bought my Savage it has a Supertrapp on it - it was too loud for me and I liked the Dyna muffler that replaced it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 05/18/18 at 23:05:30

Dave , Did you notice any difference in high speed performance between the two mufflers? Are we talking about your café bike ? Are we talking about before or after the high comp. piston and cam?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 05/19/18 at 04:07:19

batman wrote on 05/18/18 at 23:05:30:
Dave , Did you notice any difference in high speed performance between the two mufflers? Are we talking about your café bike ? Are we talking about before or after the high comp. piston and cam?

When I bought my used Savage it had 262 miles on it, and it was stock except for the Supertrapp.  I don't ever remember challenging any high speed with the bike, as I didn't like the seemingly high rpm that the low gearing imposed......65 mph was about as fast as I can remember riding it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 05/19/18 at 07:24:19

Dave , I didn't mean top speed ,I simply meant ,did you notice any difference in performance generally . did the bike seem to prefer one over the other ? ( just looking  for a " seat of the pants" opinion).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 05/19/18 at 12:50:58

Nope....my seat aint' all that sensitive.

IP Logged
ruckus430

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/21/18 at 10:14:18

But did your mods remove the whistling sound from the stock exhaust? thats the main downside about the stock ones.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 05/21/18 at 23:39:23

I didn't note any whistles before I started on the mod, and I don't hear any whistles after.  The acoustic frequency seems a bit lower but the volume seems about the same as stock.  It's very quiet, and it looks stock.  I'm currently working on the second stage.  I have what I think is a good idea and intend to start on that in a few days.  Goal remains the same, more flow without appreciably increasing noise.  You can't make good power without good flow.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 05/22/18 at 14:38:03

DBM, Is there a point were good flow, may become to much flow ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 05/23/18 at 02:38:24

I personally don't believe so, at least not with this muffler.  Maybe a glass pack with a straight through flow path the same diameter as the header could be interpreted as "too much flow".  I often hear stuff like "you gotta have some backpressure".  I think its more like you need some junk in the flow path to break up the acoustic waves and prevent harmonic reversion.  I don't think I've ever seen a maximum effort engine using mufflers unless mufflers were required by the sanctioning body.  Top fuel dragsters run open headers.  

With this stock muffler I believe I can achieve a significant increase in flow, and that should permit the other components like the airbox, carburetor and head to do their job better.  I want to achieve that while maintaining low levels of noise.   I will have to retain all the twists and turns and collisions and attenuation.  If I don't, it will be too noisy.  The torturous flow path will break up the acoustic waves so I shouldn't have problems with reversion.

Even if I fail, I'm still gonna have fun with it, and I will learn a lot of really good stuff.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 05/30/18 at 23:39:16

For Stage I of the modifications I grabbed the low hanging fruit, the attenuation chamber & tube.  I made that decision because those components had to be removed in order to inspect the interior of the muffler and figure out the flow path, and those components were easiest to restore to the original configuration if things didn't work out as planned.

I mentioned earlier in the post that, in my opinion, the best place to make improvements was in the flow path between chamber "X" & chamber "Z".  Making those two chambers available to hot gas flow and expansion takes advantage of the muffler's large volume.  Using that large volume to store the expanding gasses and allow them to exit gradually between exhaust events keeps the pressure in the exhaust system to a minimum.  There's around 500 degrees of crank rotation between exhaust events.  A muffler with more volume can store the exhaust gas and allow it to bleed off, which prevents the back pressure from increasing.  As the engine RPM increases there is less time between exhaust events so the ability of the exhaust system to store the hot gasses becomes more important as RPMs increase.

The obvious solution was to increase the flow rate between the first and second chambers in the flow path ("X" & "Z").  There really is no practical way to make an internal improvement to that flow path.  So I decided to make an external connection between chambers "X" & "Z".  As it turns out, that was easy to do.

Here is a sketch of the improved flow path.

New_Flow_Path.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 05/30/18 at 23:44:36

I found that 3/8" pipe elbows match up perfectly with 5/8-18 UNF bolts.  I was able to buy a box of 25 bolts from Grainger for a whopping $2.35.  That's right Ladies & Gents, two dollars and thirty-five cents.  Go figure that one.

Two 3/8" black iron pipe elbows (90 degrees) set me back $4.24 at Lowe's.

Here's a shot of those Grainger bargain basement bolts.

IMG_03121.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 05/30/18 at 23:48:10

I attacked the muffler by first using a 1" hole saw to cut through the heat shield at the front portion of the muffler at chamber "X".  Then I used a step drill bit to make a 11/16" hole through the wall of the muffler.

Here's a pic of that portion of the mod.

IMG_03071.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 11:51:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.