Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade (Read 546 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade
Reply #15 - 05/16/18 at 00:48:35

I cut off a new section of conduit 8-5/16” long and perforated it over a 4-1/2” section.  I attached that to the new end cap with some 10-24 stainless steel screws.  I did an additional counterbore in the end cap to accommodate the 1-1/2” stainless tube that will serve as a chamber.  Then fabricated a collar to hold the stainless tube in place and centered about the conduit.  I don’t have any photos but I wrapped the perforated portion of the conduit with about seven or eight layers of stainless steel screen (a hot commodity in my neck of the woods) before I slipped the 1-1/2” stainless tube over the perforated conduit.

Here is a pic of the completed assembly.

[img][/img]

IMG_02661.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 05/16/18 at 00:49:34

Here is a pic of the individual pieces except the screen.

[img][/img]

IMG_02671.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 05/16/18 at 00:50:36

Here is a pic looking through the stock tube and the new tube.

[img][/img]

IMG_02801.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 05/16/18 at 00:51:51

Here is a pic showing the major difference in diameters.

[img][/img]

IMG_02811.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 05/16/18 at 00:52:53

Here is a pic of the little dog ears I used to hold it all together.

[img][/img]

IMG_02751.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 05/16/18 at 00:55:05

Flow test of the completed muffler showed a decent improvement.  Now it pulled 29” H2O, a six-inch improvement.  With the muffler back on and the engine running it seemed just as quiet as the stock muffler.  The frequency of the exhaust note seemed a bit lower but the audible volume seemed just like stock.  Very quiet, just what I was hoping for.  Keep in mind that this configuration was quieter than just simply running an unperforated section of tubing from chamber “C” to the end cap, yet it reduced back pressure by an additional 2” H2O.  Testing pays off.  That attenuation chamber really works, it totally cuts down the audible energy.

Here is a pic of the completed muffler prior to road test.

[img][/img]

IMG_02791.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 05/16/18 at 00:56:37

The road test went very well.  Very quiet, good power all around.  No noticeable change in low end power.  Nice hard pull up top.  Just as quiet as stock under all conditions (idle, surface streets, accel, decel, freeway, WOT).  No afterfire whatsoever.

After the road test I removed the muffler to permanently install the new attenuator tube.  I painted the end cap with VHT to make it look as close as possible to stock.  When I reinstalled it, I sealed it with a bead of high-temp RTV.

Here is a pic of the finished product.

[img][/img]

IMG_02831.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 05/16/18 at 01:00:44

I believe this would hold up better if I made the end cap and collar from steel rather than aluminum.  I wasn’t sure how it would work and I hate making steel chips on my little lathe.  If the aluminum fails, I’ll make some new parts from steel.  I also think that a resourceful wrencher could fabricate something equivalent to this just using regular tools (hand drill, hack saw, jig saw, grinder, files, etc.).  The materials are cheap.  I’m sure conduit and universal exhaust tubing are cheap and plentiful in the continental US.

Tip 1:  The muffler clamp bolt is really humbug to access when the head of the bolt faces up.  Turn the clamp over so the bolt head faces down.  Then you can easily access from underneath the muffler.  You will have to bend an orientation tab flat but it’s very easy to do.

[img][/img]

IMG_02771.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 05/16/18 at 01:02:06

Tip 2:  The sharp edges of the passenger peg assembly chew up the chrome plating on the muffler as you wiggle the muffler around trying to get it off the header pipe.  Wrap the peg assembly with tape to protect the finish on your very stylish muffler.

[img][/img]

IMG_02821.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 05/16/18 at 01:09:04

The next stage of this project involves figuring out a way to provide an additional, or larger, flow path from chamber “X” to chamber “Z” without allowing significant leakage into chamber “Y”.  Either replacing transit tube 1 with a larger transit tube, or putting in an additional tube, will accomplish this goal.  This particular change would capitalize on the volume of the LS muffler (the feature that enamored me to this muffler in the first place).  

The final stage would be to figure out how to provide an additional, or larger, flow path from chamber “Z” to chamber “Y”.  Essentially, I want to maintain the stock flow path to scrub off the noise.

I hope this post provides some useful info for any of you who are contemplating modifications to your stock muffler, mods to some other muffler, or changing to a different muffler.  At least you will have a better understanding of what’s inside the stock muffler and the flow path.

If you have any good ideas, LMK.  BTW, I already got all the ideas about “simply installing a Dyna muffler” or “just put a Trap on it” or “the Jardine works sweet” etc.  Remember, I want it to look and sound as close to stock as possible.

This concludes my initial post.  Comments are welcome and encouraged.

Aloha Mi Amigos

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/16/18 at 04:26:39

That is quite a science project - well done!

I agree that a pleasant exhaust tone and a lack of "noise" from the exhaust  makes for a very peaceful ride.  The stock mufflers on the Savage and sport touring bikes I have owned do a really good job of quelling the exhaust pulses......all I hear is wind  and a pleasant purr from the engine.

I also agree that the larger the muffler volume - the more effective the muffler will be.  There just isn't enough space in a small, compact, light muffler to dampen the pressure pulses and sound waves.  Most of the new bikes have a "box" under the engine in series with muffler(s) on the side - or huge stand alone mufflers (the Indian Scout has obnoxiously huge mufflers that look really out of place on the bike).  The smaller the muffler - the louder it will probably be.  The small KTM 390 bikes have mufflers that make them sound like weed wackers!

I have been "eyeing" take off mufflers on eBay from sport touring bikes like the BMW RT's, Honda ST's, etc. - adapting one of them could be easier than modifying a muffler for most folks without a lot of fabrication skills and tools.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #26 - 05/16/18 at 19:04:36

Has anyone tried a V-rod muffler ?

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #27 - 05/16/18 at 20:02:23

To my eyes the savage stock muffler is incredibly ugly and moreso on a svelte bike like the S40. I love the way the dyna is not only narrower but tapers down to a small diameter exit.

Might be a lot of work but have you thought of tapering the end of the pipe down to a smaller exit?

As for noise, to each their own of course but I really disliked the sewing machine sound of the stock muffler, although I do like the buttery smooth sewing machine sound of my Bernina 730 record sewing machine!

I find that when cruising that wind noise can be deafening and tiring, whatever type of helmet so when on a tour I'll use ear plugs anyway.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 05/17/18 at 09:16:16

It's hard for me not to like a Dyna. My stock muffler rusted out ,and replacement cost was over $300, I went to the nearest HD dealer and bought 3 Dyna and two HD clamps for $15 . The Dyna weighs less ,sounds a bit deeper, and isn't very much louder ,  at steady speeds , and just a bit louder at WOT . After 4 years it doesn't show any rust (good chrome)  and with a slight rejet the bike runs stronger. I like the look much better than stock. The crossover on the Harley,s helps them produce low rpm torque ,which they need ( how do you get a bike that weighs 800lbs with two riders up a steep hill?)

« Last Edit: 05/17/18 at 23:27:20 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 05/17/18 at 17:51:28

Good comment about  the V-Rod muffler Papa Bear.  It might be an excellent candidate.  I believe there is a V-Rod model that is called the "Street Rod" (hope I have that right) that uses a nice big turned out can on each side of the bike.  They have a cool looking flame spray coating.  They certainly have enough size.  The big FL touring bikes are also supposed to make several more ponies than say a Softail or Dyna.  The increased power is supposedly due to the larger mufflers.

Hey Dave, I'm not too familiar with the models you mentioned in your post.  Are they in-line fours?  If they are, I personally think you would be better served by a take-off unit from something like a BMW cop bike (1100cc opposed twin) or some other BMW that uses a boxer engine, or possibly something off one of these new Yamaha FZ vertical twins, or maybe even that Yamaha Bolt.  They're all mufflers that have to service two large displacement cylinders rather than four small displacement cylinders.

Nothing like a fun project with lots of twists & turns to keep you young.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:18:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler Eval & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.