Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Its running....like crap :( (Read 125 times)
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Its running....like crap :(
05/05/18 at 20:14:18

Hey y'all!
Going to try and make this short, but give all the details!!!

Last night heading to the local moto shop when my throttle started to get stuck at high revs/speed...usually deceling from 4th. Landed me in a few sketchy situations near intersections but luckily made it to the garage. Looked over the bike and throttle cable seems fine, moves nicely, doesn't stick. My choke has been an issue from the start and immediately pops back in the second the bike vibrates. Used brake cleaner to check for air leaks, none. Turning air/fuel screw wasn't doing anything. Decided to pull the carb and make sure all the insides are working. Things seemed fine (other than what's listed below). Put the bike back together and it ran decently...a bit "blippy" while in 1st/2nd... then I road 30kms home, with 90km wind gusts!!! I want to say the bike ran fine but to be honest, I couldnt actually hear the bike or feel the vibrations due to the wind storm I accidentally found myself in. I also had to "kill switch & cruise" numerous times due to those strong winds. But the bike got me home so I "assumed" things were decent.

Today, I decide to take it out again...starts right up, sounds & feels like it's normal thumpy self but after 10-15mins or so gets really "blippy" in 1st & 2nd, almost lightly pulsing...after another 10mins (if that) the throttle starts to rise & vibrations go up. I'm stuck at an intersection I know pretty well, so I pull the choke to see if it slows the Revs down (like it did yesterday) but instead it kills the whole bike! Turn everything off, then back on again...try to start. Nothing. Try a few more times. Still nothing. Hop off and jog the bike to the gas station down the street (yay light bikes!!!)

Takes a few more tries, plus a 5min shut off and chill, and it finally starts up! I make it home, but definitely felt lucky!

Here's the bike info (I got it like this last fall)
53200kms (the 200kms have been the last few days)
Emgo pod air filter

These past few months I have:
Raptor 660 swap
New battery
New sparkplug---Prior to the changes I did, it was blacksoot in colour....I havent checked the new one yet (totally forgot to when I had the tank off last night, duh me!!!!)
Carb complete teardown & cleaned x 4 (all this past month, one being yesterday) When taking out the fuel/air screw the spring/oring/washer get stuck inside
Main is 152.5, pilot is 55 (was thinking of putting the 52.5)
Have the air/fuel mix screw at 1.5 turns out, seems happy there
Oil change (x3 since I got it cuz gas kept going in my oil)

Not sure about cam tensioner-ill check & measure this my next full day off!

SO....basically with my minimal knowledge I know I need to check my sparkplug & possibly change my pilot jet? Is there something else I need to be looking for? I gotta be missing something because the bike is just acting so weird & "seems to me" it's a fuel starving issue?

I'm really trying to do a week long bike trip in June and ole rob roy (my bikes name) is cramping my style!!!! (Not his fault the PO was neglectful)

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Its running....like crap :(
Reply #1 - 05/05/18 at 21:25:27

Your present jet sizes seem right for your elevation --217 feet /66 meters above sea level.   Have your done the spacer mod on the carb? And did you install the present main jet?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/05/18 at 22:03:25

I wouldn't use brake cleaner on rubber parts, it tends to eat them up.

I think you got a intake leak... after warming up.  Use WD40 to check.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/06/18 at 03:36:52

It does sound like an air leak......check the rubber manifold between the carb and cylinder.  It should have an O-ring, and be flexible and without any cracks.

A sticky slide can also create some uneven running problems, it needs to be very clean.

Does the POD filter block the vent at the top of the carb inlet?

Your choke button is worn out......you need to buy a new one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 05/06/18 at 03:41:15

Ok thanks!!!  (Fella who owns the moto shop used brake cleaner and I didn't object!)

Ill warm it up and check intake!

Batman:  I didn't do the WSM but I moved my clip to the tip of the needle (Was in the middle before)

The jets I got from Versalvy, the ones that were in the carb were 145/50. Now it's 152.5/55.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/06/18 at 03:43:36

Castheandra wrote on 05/06/18 at 03:41:15:
Batman:  I didn't do the WSM but I moved my clip to the tip of the needle (Was in the middle before)

Moving the clip to the top of the needle lowers it.....and makes the bike run leaner.  The white spacer is thinned which raises the the needle up as the spacer is above the needle (same as moving the clip down raises the needle).

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #6 - 05/06/18 at 03:45:28

Dave wrote on 05/06/18 at 03:36:52:
It does sound like an air leak......check the rubber manifold between the carb and cylinder.  It should have an O-ring, and be flexible and without any cracks.

A sticky slide can also create some uneven running problems, it needs to be very clean.

Does the POD filter block the vent at the top of the carb inlet?

Your choke button is worn out......you need to buy a new one.

POD doesn't block carb inlet (double checked for that)

Choke is definitely worn out. I should be able to just buy that part solo, ya?

I'll check for the o-ring at the carb/cylinder...I didn't bother to take the whole rubber boot off at the cylinder cuz it looked in decent shape, but I'll do this!

Think I'll re-clean the carb too...doesn't hurt cuz my assumption is the bike sat for a few years.

Thanks so much fo the tips and I'll be going through them on my day off, will update with results!

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #7 - 05/06/18 at 04:06:28

Dave wrote on 05/06/18 at 03:43:36:
Castheandra wrote on 05/06/18 at 03:41:15:

Moving the clip to the top of the needle lowers it.....and makes the bike run leaner.  The white spacer is thinned which raises the the needle up as the spacer is above the needle (same as moving the clip down raises the needle).

And I did the opposite....hrmm, ok, will change that too!!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/06/18 at 11:03:11

I asked if you installed the jets because sometimes the brass washer that goes between the main jet and the needle jet is left out or lost, something else you might check if your cleaning the carb.Dave is correct about your needle chip ,this would lean your mid range rpm and what your feeling is a surge ,lean at first and then when the needle jet finally comes off seat the motor suddenly picks up speed.

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #9 - 05/06/18 at 12:27:15

batman wrote on 05/06/18 at 11:03:11:
I asked if you installed the jets because sometimes the brass washer that goes between the main jet and the needle jet is left out or lost, something else you might check if your cleaning the carb.Dave is correct about your needle chip ,this would lean your mid range rpm and what your feeling is a surge ,lean at first and then when the needle jet finally comes off seat the motor suddenly picks up speed.

Ok, cool that makes sense!!!

And thanks, that brass washer is definitely in there Smiley 🍻

Next day off is Wednesday, will get to all of this then!!!

Thanks so much!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/06/18 at 21:12:28

There are a lot of tiny holes that need checking/cleaning:
-jets
-little brass tube sticking down about 1.5" from the carb body into the float bowl; one in the very end of it and two more on each side about 1/2" from the tip
-either 4 or 6 holes on the sides of the needle jet
-intake side of the carb, lower right side as you look in the throat, 1.5-2" long and part of the pilot system
-under the little cover on the right side of the carb, with 3 screws, remove it and there are a couple of tiny holes in there that run to the choke and the other to the top of the throat on the side that attaches to the head

All of those are known to clog and if they are the carb WILL NOT function as designed.

VERY SMALL wires are needed to clean these holes.  A "Jet cleaning tool" is made for this but you can substitute some very small safety wire instead if needed.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 05/07/18 at 03:50:06

"Turning air/fuel screw wasn't doing anything."

That sounds like 'a thing' to me.

Turning the air/fuel screw SHOULD make a difference.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/07/18 at 05:31:59

IslandRoad wrote on 05/07/18 at 03:50:06:
"Turning air/fuel screw wasn't doing anything."

That sounds like 'a thing' to me.

Turning the air/fuel screw SHOULD make a difference.

If you attempt to adjust the idle mixture screw with the engine idle set fast......you may not be able to hear any difference.  The idle speeds needs to be really low when setting the mixture - then turn the speed back up after you are done with the adjustment.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/07/18 at 16:15:58

I'd wait to set the mix screw until after you deal with the needle jet.

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #14 - 05/11/18 at 15:41:48

Update:

Checked for air leak with wd40-nothin'

Then took my jet needle out & placed the clip back in its original spot (middle)...took the bike for a run-still bogged in 1st & 2nd but felt great in 3rd/4th. Decided to take out the jet needle again & swap the white nylon spacer for the 3 metal washers that came with Lancers jet set (I didn't realize this was the purpose of these until now! Duh!).....so I made it to my destination for my "test run" and things seem great! Bike runs better than when I bought it! No bogging between gear changes, seems like a semi-happy machine!

Haven't experienced any weird surging/pulsing like last time....but the bike still vibrates endlessly :/  (no knocking it crazy sounds, just vibrationssss)

I'm in the city so nose-to-nose traffic happens where I'm left idling for longer than necessary, and in those moments I can feel my idle raises ever so slightly...then I can flick the throttle a touch & it dies down.

Ordered a new choke from dealership-$65 Sad

Intake carb boot is another $60, so I'll be ordering that too as currently it's a total pregnant dog to put the carb back on myself (although I've since realized I can access what I need without pulling the carb)

Feel like I'm getting closer to a nice running savage though!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Its running....like crap :(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.