Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard luggage suggestions? (Read 105 times)
cl492
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hard luggage suggestions?
05/03/18 at 19:03:08

I have some studded leather saddlebags on my Savage right now. And while I love the gimp look, they're kind of small and I hate that I can't secure my possessions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hard (preferably locking) luggage? Pictures would be greatly appreciated too.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Hard luggage suggestions?
Reply #1 - 05/03/18 at 23:01:49

Search the web? I'd look for smaller slanted hard bags due to the position of the savage shocks.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 05/04/18 at 02:11:25

The stock position of the rear turn sign also limit the options for saddlebags a great deal. Moving them to the licence plate bracket opens up a world of possibilities.

... and then there is the issue of mounting!

I did a lot of research when choosing saddlebags (I wasn't after hard-mount, and I ditched them in the end anyway).

There is virtually nothing available in the 'aftermarket' for this bike. If you search specifically on this site, there are some really clever options that users have come up with.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/04/18 at 03:59:06

I have used the Matazu bags a couple of times.
The LN style: https://www.mutazu.com/collections/fy-bags
The GA style: https://mutazu-inc.myshopify.com/collections/ga

These are NOT real high quality, but aren't expensive either.  They are ABS plastic.  They do lock.
The lights on the LN bags are useless unless you put in brighter LEDs or bulbs.

Pics of the LN bags here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681027531913994&set=pcb.6810278019139...

Pic of the GA bags here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=998732566810154&set=pcb.9987326334768...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/04/18 at 04:48:07

I just got some viking saddlebags with the shock cutout. They come with the turn signal relocation bracket to put them back further and off your license plate mount.

Together the two bags I got are 4095 cubic inches of space, even with the shock cutouts.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/04/18 at 04:48:27

I couldn't post a link in the first reply, but here are the ones I got.

https://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boulevard-s40-savage-ls650-spear-shock-cuto...

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #6 - 05/04/18 at 14:31:38

IslandRoad wrote on 05/04/18 at 02:11:25:
The stock position of the rear turn sign also limit the options for saddlebags a great deal. Moving them to the licence plate bracket opens up a world of possibilities.

... and then there is the issue of mounting!

I did a lot of research when choosing saddlebags (I wasn't after hard-mount, and I ditched them in the end anyway).

There is virtually nothing available in the 'aftermarket' for this bike. If you search specifically on this site, there are some really clever options that users have come up with.

Islandroad, that is what i did, moved the rear turn signals to the license plate bracket

Slanted bags are the way to go for sure.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
cl492
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/04/18 at 16:39:59

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I agree the as-is position of the shock and turn signal was limiting.

I'm actually really digging those Viking bags.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #8 - 05/04/18 at 17:09:21

-

How big were you wanting?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 05/05/18 at 02:04:23

cl492 wrote on 05/04/18 at 16:39:59:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I agree the as-is position of the shock and turn signal was limiting.

The lockable Viking bags do look great ... especially with the slant/cut-out. But, don't believe the term "universal" bracket for mounting. You are going to have to make something up.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 05/05/18 at 02:08:10

DieselBob wrote on 05/04/18 at 17:09:21:

I hope they're carrying polystyrene in that rear 'bag'! ... anything else, and the steering is gonna be ... well ... 'light'!

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/06/18 at 03:48:38

IslandRoad wrote on 05/05/18 at 02:04:23:
cl492 wrote on 05/04/18 at 16:39:59:

The lockable Viking bags do look great ... especially with the slant/cut-out. But, don't believe the term "universal" bracket for mounting. You are going to have to make something up.

Oh sure, the install video definitely tells you that there's work to be done, but it's all on the bag side.

https://youtu.be/w49Y2_E9Low

I haven't installed mine yet, I am wanting to get different signals since one of mine is cracked to hell (previous owner), which I'm picking up today. But they're on the short list for the new bike.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/06/18 at 17:42:59

Installed tonight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MI9GsXfIUn0Rb7n83

I'd upload them here, but they're far too large. I added quick disconnects to the new lights that I had to relocate further back (I wanted rid of the plastic factory ones anyhow). I also added a gear shelf on the sissy bar mounts.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 05/07/18 at 01:14:52

That's some tidy work right there! They look great.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/07/18 at 04:53:06

IslandRoad wrote on 05/07/18 at 01:14:52:
That's some tidy work right there! They look great.

Thanks, installed using the gear they send, along with the signal relocation. Took a lot of work to make sure it was all buttoned down and measured right, but it was worth the afternoon/evening it took.

Not to derail the thread, though, just wanted to give you guys an example of large slanted/cutout bags that won't make your wallet weep too hard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 21:40:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard luggage suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.