BMW Scarver (Read 127 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
BMW Scarver
05/03/18 at 14:45:37

Has anyone ever owned or ridden a BMW F650CS? Any opinions on this bike?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: BMW Scarver
Reply #1 - 05/03/18 at 21:14:15

Only 4 year production run ... ?

That don't mean there ain't a lot of Harley parts that  won't fit it !   Grin

50 HP .  and 405 lbs .  sounds like fun !  Cool

makes me think of  my Guzzi 48 HP and 412 lbs.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/04/18 at 08:56:26

Yep, short production run and good power to weight. One of these is being sold at what seems a reasonable price in a town about 90 miles from where I live. Sort of interested.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/04/18 at 09:43:30

I just found out that my current BMW....when it needs an oil change the "service" light comes on, and only the BMW dealer can reset it.....unless you or a friend buys the $400 tool.  If you change your own oil - you have to be tolerant of the light being on all the time.

Evidently the law that requires the Service light to be user friendly on cars....doesn't apply to motorcycles!

Motorcycle guys call it the "Dealer Extortion Light".

https://www.amazon.com/GS-911-Diagnostic-Tool-BMW-Motorcycles/dp/B00OC1FFGM

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/04/18 at 09:51:20

That's what tape is for and it comes in many colors.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/04/18 at 09:53:19

WWW   IP Logged
cygnet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/04/18 at 09:57:04

What BMW model do you have I have a F800st and I don't get a light I get a small "service" warning reminder, but you are right with out the GS911 only a dealer can remove it but it is so small I don't even notice it ant more.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/04/18 at 13:41:28

cygnet wrote on 05/04/18 at 09:57:04:
What BMW model do you have I have a F800st and I don't get a light I get a small "service" warning reminder, but you are right with out the GS911 only a dealer can remove it but it is so small I don't even notice it ant more.

I just bought a barely used 2016 model of the R1200RT.  The dealer did the service - so I haven't yet seen the indicator light yet and I don't know if it is easily ignored.  I do however suspect that the cost of the tool is not more than a couple of dealer service sessions! Wink

And.....if I carry the tool with me while on the road - I might be able to do $15 service light cancellations for folks.

Springman - so far I am diggin' my BMW....but I haven't broke anything yet and I haven't needed any service.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/04/18 at 15:47:06

Dave, I am glad you are enjoying the new bike. And glad you haven't broken anything yet. Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 05/04/18 at 18:19:42

DANG !

Ya'll just talked me into keeping my OLD Truck instead of trading it in !!!  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/05/18 at 03:39:54

Springman:

Where you looking at this same bike a year or two ago?

I would imagine the Scarver is a very hard bike to sell if you decide you don't want/love it anymore.  The styling is a bit different, and there likely isn't much of a market for it.  If you can get it cheap enough so that you don't mind owning it forever......and the idea of having to visit a BMW dealer occasionally doesn't scare you - it could be a nice/fun bike.  BMW has been using that same engine in the small GS bikes - so you could check on that forum for reliability issues. (I believe the engine is a Rotax).

I believe the Buehl Blast is a similar sort of a bike....fun with a few quirks - but hard to sell.

I was watching a BMW F800ST at the local Honda dealer.  They had it displayed outside in front of the shop everyday for almost 2 years, and it really bothered me to see it in the sun and rain every day.  The price started out around $5,000 and when it went down to $3,500 I was really tempted - but then I thought if a dealer can't sell it - what chance do I have?  It would have been a great bike for a single rider - the passenger seat is not much use.  Saddlebags and mounts are really expensive if you don't find a bike with them already included.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/23/bmw-f800st-best-used-bikes

A better choice may the the F800GT, as the seating and handlebar positions are supposed to be much more comfortable for long distance.  I believe I may start watching for a used one in a few years......time will tell if I need a single seater sport touring bike.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/26/2013-bmw-f800gt-first-ride-review-photos

If you are looking for a used bike that is comfortable and affordable and has a realistic seat height for those of us that are vertically challenged, don't forget to look at the Moto Guzzi and Triumph bikes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/05/18 at 11:38:10

IIRC there were odd transmission issues, up to and including
Failure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/07/18 at 08:26:11

Thanks Dave. No, I had not previously considered the Scarver. It has been on CL for over a month now but do not know if it was previously listed. The pictures show the plates clearly from which I can tell it has not been legally registered since 2014. If it weren't so far away I would have probably already tried to go see it.

I did a demo ride of the Ducati Scrambler Saturday. I liked the engine and the bike rode quite well and very stable. But overall I did not like the bike and it just felt so good when I got back on my S40. I am beginning to think I am not going to be comfortable on anything that has a seating position radically different than the S40. Maybe if that Scarver is still around in a month or so I may try to go take a look at it and if I like it just make a low offer and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that the owner will say no and I will have gone out for a nice long ride.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/07/18 at 08:55:48

Springman.

I would guess that riding/seating position is definitely a personal thing, and you are likely to prefer the style you learned on.  I learned to ride on motorcycles in the late 60's that had pegs underneath my butt....and I still prefer that over forward pegs.

I think you should go ride a Kawasaki VulcanS.  It has the seating style you like, it has a low seat height, and I bet the engine is very satisfying.  The chain drive is not a deal killer overall - modern chains are not horribly hard to take care of.  It likely is faster than the Savage and may be able to cruise for long stretches more comfortably, it might go farther on a tank of fuel - but it will not be as comfortably torquey and the parallel twin will sound busier.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/07/18 at 10:20:25

You are right Dave. It is tough to go against what we are used to. I would really like to have an extra 20 hp or so but I'm in no hurry for another bike. The Vulcan S is a bike I would consider. I hope I get a chance to demo it someday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:26:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › BMW Scarver

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.