Boat owners here....? (Read 117 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: Boat owners here....?
Reply #15 - 05/03/18 at 21:37:54

If you look closely you can see my wife is the "Skipper" that is, until it get's honky. But for your considerations, my best friend is a power boater and has had several, I spend much time on his boat and have been to a lot of look overs with him, and spent way to much time in discussion.

What we have found is Bayliners are basically good boats. But there have been exceptions and at some point in the line they are considered throwawys, that is they do the 20 years.

The pictures, it looks clean and in good shape, but they all do. Hire a surveyer and have it inspected and sea trialled, worth every cent. It it's Merc, all the better.

IO's are, in general, less hassle until they go bad. If it's clean with little corrision you are better off. It looks nice and it's of sufficent size and ammenities to provide you a nice weekend cruising experience.

Thing about boats is they are built to 2 different markets, fresh water and sea-worthy. Folks on lakes even big ones, don't often experience the conditions of off shore, in nasties. We regularly race our boat in 25 plus mph winds and 5-8 foot seas, you don't see that as much on lakes. So boats are built to 2 different standards based on where they think they will be used.

The boat you are looking at is a very popular model and I'm sure there has been plenty written and available about it. Check Soundings, they may have reviewed it. Look to Boats US for any problems with it.

It's not a recomendation to buy this specific boat, but if it looks and proves to be good, you will disscover a whole new world of experiences. In boating there is an old adage, If the wife goes along, go for it. In the end many a guy fights the wife over attention to her or the boat. if she is "on board" 3/4ths of the battle is won before you even have an adventure.

Picture is of my wife driving in a race off shore in 25 plus winds and the sea's had just deminished from 4-7 foot. It took a lot of years to get her there, but she has begrudgingly enjoyed most of the ride.

20141005_124633_001.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 05/03/18 at 23:25:57

B.O.A.T.=break out another thousand! Sad

The smaller the boat the more you'll use it ,and less time and money you'll spend maintaining it -which gives you more money and time to use it.(see how that works?) If you boat is sea worthy, why go bigger unless you intend to live on it.

there are lots of old wooden, and metal hulled boats around but few fiberglass ones ,Why? because once you damage the thin layer of gel coat ,water moves through the fiberglass (which is not waterproof ) and attacks the frameing (wood that rots and can't be seen )and the boat twists and warps and is then bonfire material .If your looking at a boat made  of this stuff take a long metal straight edge with you to run over the surfaces looking for any warpage .If you find any , it's time to turn on your heel and run like hell.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 05/04/18 at 08:55:09

WOW SoC...... she is a great skipper!

Thanks for such great advice, I will use it, thanks!  Smiley

Shot of the engine, fuel tank, and below deck system eyeballed.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 05/04/18 at 09:07:45

batman wrote on 05/03/18 at 23:25:57:
B.O.A.T.=break out another thousand! Sad

The smaller the boat the more you'll use it ,and less time and money you'll spend maintaining it -which gives you more money and time to use it.(see how that works?) If you boat is sea worthy, why go bigger unless you intend to live on it.

there are lots of old wooden, and metal hulled boats around but few fiberglass ones ,Why? because once you damage the thin layer of gel coat ,water moves through the fiberglass (which is not waterproof ) and attacks the frameing (wood that rots and can't be seen )and the boat twists and warps and is then bonfire material .If your looking at a boat made  of this stuff take a long metal straight edge with you to run over the surfaces looking for any warpage .If you find any , it's time to turn on your heel and run like hell.

Well I am sure you might find some folks in disagreement with your views on fiberglass....
Hatteras uses it, as does Grand Banks, and lots of other high end builders.

This baby of mine is a dinosaur, as far as glass, it was made by Bill Trent, who started Glasspar, which had a major share of the boating market in its heydays.
My gal is a 1959 Seafair, original gel coat, etc.....
Only thing I've changed is the wood, that didn't last.
I have a new deck on her, and transom, both wood.
The stringers are as sturdy and as strong as the day she was made, they are encased in fiberglass.
This was all hand laid fiberglass construction of heavy matting, she is tough, and her downwestern flared bow can really take head seas, dry!

BTW, the Break out another grand is for folks who have no desire, or knowledge, to do it themselves.
I enjoy working on my stuff, from remodeling my house, to rebuilding my boat.
I rewired her, new fuel tank, upholstery, etc. Even bought a non running Suzuki DT85 and fixed her to where she starts with just a turn of the key, no cranking, etc.
A 4000 dollar motor, for 500 bucks.
You can do this frugally too, and it doubles your fun  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #19 - 05/04/18 at 09:31:20

I once had a Mercruiser 4 cylinder 170hp I/O. That engine leaked coolant from every joint on the engine. It was "half" a v8 engine,  Ford I think, but it could have been a Chevy. I got rid of that thing quickly. Subsequently, I heard about major engine troubles with that engine, I think I dodged a bullet.

This was around 1985 but I do remember lawsuits against Mercruiser because of repeated engine failures.  The one I had ran beautifully but I knew enough to tell that it was going to be trouble.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 05/04/18 at 10:04:41

norm92de wrote on 05/04/18 at 09:31:20:
I once had a Mercruiser 4 cylinder 170hp I/O. That engine leaked coolant from every joint on the engine. It was "half" a v8 engine,  Ford I think, but it could have been a Chevy. I got rid of that thing quickly. Subsequently, I heard about major engine troubles with that engine, I think I dodged a bullet.

This was around 1985 but I do remember lawsuits against Mercruiser because of repeated engine failures.  The one I had ran beautifully but I knew enough to tell that it was going to be trouble.

Thats a bummer......

I know before I bought my new truck (to me) I was looking at the Ford diesels, and boy howdy, talk about design issues.
The old ones were OK, but to get a newer truck meant a Ford engineered motor, they are expensive to fix, and I wasn't going to fork out the money for a brand new truck to use part time.

I think I made the right choice with my super duty gasser.....

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 05/04/18 at 10:55:34

You replace the decks and transom ,what were they? plywood incased in that wonderful fiberglass? if the plywood had been painted first with epoxy ,they would have never needed to be replaced as they would have been protected from water /rot.  fiberglass hides damage ,where metal and wood damage can be seen and more easily repaired . but to each is own.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #22 - 05/04/18 at 11:47:11

Wood.....
They were protect, look at the original finish on the boat, no paint, etc.
However the deck from a 60 year old boat  will not last that long, not if you use it.
I know if many wood boats that don’t last that long...
Olderwood boats, are cheap, requires a lot of upkeep.
Of course, if you do your required maintenance, you can alleviate at lot of the future repairs.
Aluminum is nice, but it  better be welded as oppose to rivets.

BTW, I love the old wood boat Criscraft made, the 20 sumtin footer Catalina model was wide and sweet. I spent days on one years ago.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 05/04/18 at 17:36:14

well your right there aren't many old  wooden boats around but " Old Ironsides " will be 221 years old on Oct 21 of this year.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #24 - 05/04/18 at 21:59:26

batman wrote on 05/04/18 at 17:36:14:
well your right there aren't many old  wooden boats around but " Old Ironsides " will be 221 years old on Oct 21 of this year.

A wood boat called Ironside  Grin
I get it, just kinda funny.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:22:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Boat owners here....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.