Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The reloading bench -- aged nostalgia stuff (Read 414 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: The reloading bench -- aged nostalgia stuff
Reply #15 - 05/09/18 at 06:57:49

Ed, scrape us up a goodly bucket full of brass and next spring I'll come by and get it.

I missed seeing you guys in Florida as I was really looking forward to it.

Trip had a good plan, but stuff happens ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 05/09/18 at 15:25:11

Oldfeller, The range officer is pretty cool about letting me be a brass rat, I'll scoop what I can each trip and put it aside for you. I'm always looking for 7.62x54r and 30-30 brass and look at .223 brass as a by catch. The best picking is at the 50 yd range where the AR's play.
 I've jumped down the Black Powder rabbit hole right now and am working on making my own with readily available house hold chemicals in the proper ratio.   Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/09/18 at 20:28:50

Ed, if you like range brass you will jest love this new $23.99 trimmer design from Dave Holub.   I personally use it and I verify it works exactly as shown in this YouTube video ....

https://youtu.be/XMYAdkeDPBU

.... and you can buy it from Ebay and other similar sorts of "cheap source" places.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223-5-56-Case-trimmer-HMR-WCT-Worlds-Cheapest-Trimme...

It is an excellent trick for range brass lovers (and reloaders in general).

Other Calibers available:

(if you pick 8mm Mauser you can cover most of these other cases)

300 Blackout

.308 Win

30-30

6.5 Creedmoor

.243 Win

22-250

8mm Mauser

7.62x39

.204 Ruger 
6.8 SPC

Think a bit ..... any of the long or short case extended 30-06 family can use the same device by a simple set-up change for correct depth, and by that I mean 308, 7mm-08, 243 Winchester, 30-06, 270, 25-06 etc. etc.   It can also do 8x57 and 7x57 as well if you are smart enough to start with the larger necked 8mm body instead of say a 308 body.   Going long bodied (30-06 length) isn't needed, and yes you can shorten the delrin body if you need to (if the hole is too deep and swallows up your case).

It indicates and centralizes off the neck shoulder alone -- everything else (including the neck diameter) is in clearance during trimming.

All it is is a Delrin body with the neck angle and rough clearance size/depth step drilled into it, facing a standard two flute HHS end mill held in place by a set screw.   You set the neck length off a trimmed case (proper dimension) and it stays right there until the end mill gets dull (5,000 plus trimming ops) then you take it apart and sharpen the simple straight edges of the end mill with a fine grit diamond file, put it back together and re-set the length and go back to cutting.    No case pressure is needed to get it to cut, but please note the half wrist twist that is applied to each case during cutting -- you are seeking the cleanest clearest mate up angle to the neck taper form to get the smoothest squarest cut.

For equipment,  a 3/8 drill is perfectly fine.   Half inch drills get too pokey slow though.

Wink

If you have several different caliber case mouth diameters of this item, realize that swapping the end mill from A to B gives you a new set of VIRGIN cutting edges at the needed mouth diameters to use all over again ......      And you can buy suitable 3/8" HHS milling cutters for 2-3 bucks each on Ebay or Amazon.   I bought spiral ground four-fluted cutters for that low low cost for my set of two case trimmers.

Remember, CLEAN THE BRASS REALLY REALLY GOOD and resize the brass before trimming as shoulder/neck form consistency is what you get back in overall trim length consistency.

I set up a drill sideways using a small table clamping vise, trim all the cases to length and then pull the trimmer  and replace it with a chamfer cutter and lightly deburr the inside of the case mouth.   Outside mouth burr is very minimal and gets removed by firing, cleaning / tumbling and resizing so I generally don't bother with any mouth OD deburr ops.

« Last Edit: 05/20/18 at 19:27:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 05/10/18 at 06:39:21

I've a Mini-mat micro lathe that I use for trimming which gives about 2 thousands of an inch accuracy on my cases and for the amount I actually shoot is plenty fast enough once it is set up. I shoot 30-06 and 7.7x58 Jap which is part of the 30-06 family. Just about anything that is close gets resized and reloaded, 8x57, 7x57, 270 and even some 30-06 blanks got resized for the Jap. I mainly load lighter cast loads for the Jap. I can shoot all day for about 8 cents a round and the accuracy is good enough out to 50 yds to have fun. If I want to go longer I break out the 30-06's. I have a Sedgley Springfield and a Remmy BDL 700 in that caliber, both shoot better than I can most of the time. Too many toys and not enough time. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/10/18 at 11:31:57

Too many toys and not enough time. Wink

My address is available.

I will send pictures of your toys
Playing and having fun and show you the comfortable environment they live in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 05/12/18 at 08:26:44

Ok Justin,

Here is my new toy, all disassembled, cleaned, oil/greased, forearm clearance floated, scope mount reapplied with locktite, bore sighted, locked down and all ready to go.

Time to build me some fitted ammo ......

Comment time:   Bergara built CVA rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwDcP-_WSw   yep, watch the YouTube video

I did not have to do very much to this gun, say as compared to a Savage/Stevens rifle or to a Remington rifle.

Trigger was fine from the box, best stock "low end" trigger I have ever dealt with.   Trigger sear and lock up toggle system were both treated with moly grease by me which assures they will function smoothly for decades into the future.   Neither required any sort of honing or tuning --- nice.

As rec'd the barrel required cleaning (gun was proofed before boxing after all) and the rifling is a very smmoooth button rifling job.  Crown is very crisp and showed some fine attention to finish lapping that was done right at the crown exit.  This is the only factory production level barrel I have ever seen this done on -- a nice touch to be sure.

Comparison to American scope base mounting systems (which use like two screws to hold the whole scope base and mount assembly in place -- drop it and have it it hit wrong and the scope mount screw shanks themselves can break off on you, yep, it surely does happen).  

The Bergara mount system uses FOUR substantial hardened torqx headed fasteners to hold the little break open's scope package on to the barrel -- despite whatever handling and abuse that may come to it during its lifetime of hard use.   Mine is seated with locktite on the base radius and on all 4 screws, as my scope mount habits were formed on the weaker American mounting systems that absolutely require this sort of reinforcement.

All in all, I was impressed.

« Last Edit: 05/15/18 at 13:24:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180512_111504329.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 05/12/18 at 10:15:40

Neither required any sort of honing or tuning --- nice.

I am not worthy...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 05/15/18 at 12:10:20

And for those who are curious, this is what 500 finished rounds in .223 looks like.   A small box, dense and heavy, but still a small box.

Mine are 62 grain Fusion bullets running 200 fps faster than some of these due to increased barrel length and a larger powder charge of a modern specialty powder .....  faster fps tends to mean a greater diameter in the blow up zone and a trade off in less penetration depth.   Which is all to the good, BTW as them NC deer are fairly smallish critters anyway.   Most traditional rounds are only opening up good on the far side of little NC deer -- which is why the through the shoulders shots and neck shots are so beloved in NC woods.   Even a 30-30 gets "mostly wasted" on the partially expanded flying exit from the far side of their little bodies .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol8tgGtoXus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otou1Fws4cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DejxnUqQ92A

And yes, I'd carefully shoot a deer in the neck with one of these, or if he was further away go for a "through the shoulders" shot.

I would not lung shoot a deer with a .223" diameter Fusion bullet -- far far too many NC deer have run off into the woods further than the un-aided (no dog help available) hunter can blood spatter track them when they are lung shot with  .308  caliber bullets that didn't open up well until in the last 10" of deer meat.  

Small NC deer require a fast moving, fast opening bullet .... and these blow up jobbies do not always penetrate through and through to leave a good visible blood trail.

Neck shots do shock damage to the spine and the through the shoulder shots bust up the front mobility joints, and the deer always tends to just flop over and park itself, kicking just a little bit until it quietly bleeds out.

"Hunting distance accuracy" on this rifle will be function tested by a small 3 by 5 index card with a dot in the middle, zero'd 1.25" high at 100 yards (it is hard to see out past 200 yards inside NC woods, period).   A solid, sturdy little .223 rifle can safely ignore any woods distance drops as it is "within the index card" at twice the distance that you can actually see while hunting.

Wink

« Last Edit: 05/20/18 at 19:41:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180515_145332757.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 05/17/18 at 04:54:42

A sling is needed for a carry gun.   People get careless about sling installations, they need to fit right so they act as a shooting "tension" support when properly wrapped over your left forearm and elbow.  

I once had an old dry rotted leather sling rip at the top sling loop while actually shooting it so I use ballistic nylon now for all my slings (plus it is a softer, more comfortable carry on the shoulder bone).  Nylon is just a better material as the sling itself is strong enough to hold you up if needs be ..... and it doesn't rot over time.

However, nylon slings have dual adjustment straps and use plastic buckles that can break or work loose (had me one that did once) so I now sew upholstery thread (doubled) up both sides of my nylon slingwebs, bonding the two webbing strands into one thick strap and the continuous stitch lines up the two sides goes right on past the various adjustment buckles that now are just ornaments instead of adjustments.   Slings are therefore a custom fit to just one rifle and the slings still can detach using the Uncle Mike's sling bevels that are now a permanent part of the sling assembly.

So this little gun is done, finito, pau, 30.   I now have several carry rifles for larger game up to elk (7mm-08, 30-06, 8mm Mauser) and I also have a .223 carry varmint rifle good for game up to the size of a small deer.

The lighter guns that would actually get carried by me are the 7mm-08 and the .223 -- weight and pointing stability do count for more when you get older and weaker.

« Last Edit: 05/17/18 at 13:24:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180517_072854622.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #24 - 05/17/18 at 08:10:18

A lighter gun for hunting is a must, my Remmy in 30-06 has the lighter barrel, sometimes at the range I wish I had gone for the bull barrel but back when I hunted I remember how the rifle got heavy real fast.
 One of the guys I used to hunt with would carry a 357 Blackhawk, a 270 rifle and a 1911 along with extra rounds for each piece. I told him that if he ever stepped into a swamp all we would find of him would be his hat. He sounded like a tank going through the woods.  Wink
 Nice toy you got there  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 05/17/18 at 13:13:35

You'd like my 7mm-08 for carrying and light handling, but shooting it a lot at the range has some of the raw brutality factor still peeking out around the edges.   I had to locktite the scope barrel inside the rings to stop it from walking on down the scope barrel (sharp abrupt recoil from the light 120 grain bullets, no less).

I have a bull barrel Police Tactical Barrier 30-06 with a 26" long barrel (intended for 180 grain AP rounds to shoot through car doors and bodies) -- but MM managed to split his eyebrow with it by getting all close focused and lost inside the end bell of the big scope .....

Everything kicks, some loads just do it more than others ......

« Last Edit: 05/21/18 at 05:17:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 06/12/18 at 12:17:49

Finishing details

See the butt stock holder for 9 finished rounds, nothing like having a fairly quick follow up shot without a lot of fumbling.

See the sewn elastic band over the trigger trick (an old Handy Rifle trick).   By moving the simple elastic band up the back side of the trigger guard the effective trigger pull is adjustable.   Moving it up the trigger guard increases the pre-pull and the trigger force needed to fire the gun goes down .... and down .... and down to mere ounces if you want it to.

This is one of them good old tricks that youngsters these days do not know about at all it seems.

Is it safe?   Yes, because if you put too much elastic pre-pull on the trigger the trigger won't engage and you can't hold the hammer back on the gun at all.   Low enough pre-pull to "click" to re-engage the hammer   =   approximately half a pound to a pound of force needed to pull the trigger.   This very light trigger pull is safe enough since you don't ever pull the hammer back until you are ready to shoot (this constitutes your safety release on any form of single action pistol or rifle -- yep, pulling the hammer back has provided "safe action" for over 200 years now)

This elastic booster was called "a poor man's set trigger" back in the day ......

..... note:  this trick is not safe on bolt action or auto-loader rifles --- it is only is safe on "thumb action on a pull back hammer" type guns.

« Last Edit: 06/13/18 at 11:12:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180612_150109084.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 06/12/18 at 13:27:39

I stuck that in the
Don't Ever forget this
File.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:13:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › The reloading bench -- aged nostalgia stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.