Send Topic Print
newbie electrical (Read 46 times)
Jack C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

newbie electrical
04/29/18 at 08:33:10

Hi everyone, just bought a 1999 savage. Owner said didn't run.said it quit on him while riding. Found the main fuse blown, replaced it and it fired right up. I'm aware that fuses don't blow for no reason and I've been looking for bare wires and haven't found anything yet. I will keep looking but I was wondering if anyone else has had fuse blowing problems. I was also toying with the idea of replacing the fuse with a circuit breaker (same 20a) so if I have a problem I can fix it without blowing a handful of fuses. BTW I would like to thank the group for posting the wiring diagrams. I have not searched the site but am looking for a parts list(exploded view)of the bike.I find them to be invaluable when assembling things as they not only show the order that parts go but they give the proper name of the part.
   Again, I would like to thank the group for the helpful information members have posted. I look forward to being an active member of the group in the future. Jack c.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: newbie electrical
Reply #1 - 04/29/18 at 08:39:32

Year and mileage help.
If it's not newish the wiring in the headlamp bucket can get messed up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #2 - 04/29/18 at 08:49:49

I had a problem with 2 other vehicles, one not mine, intermittent fuses blowing. what happened was wire rubbed off the insulation but wasn't contacting all the time, so when it did contact the fuse would blow. I got pissed when it quit in the middle of nowhere and stuck a razor blade in the fuse block and a little wisp of smoke came out from under the seat, I removed the seat and looked under the main wire group and found the bare spot. I rotated the wire until I got home to tape it up. The second one was an atv. same problem, but I just ran a finger under the wiring and got a little shock and fixed it the same way.

IP Logged
Jack C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/29/18 at 08:55:06

I'll check out the headlight bucket. BTW I found the parts list & downloaded it. It will be a big help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/29/18 at 08:58:20

check the wires running to the headlight.
the hole in the shell is small and there's some flexing there.

in the tech index there's a link the parts list, it's a pdf of the oem phish.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/29/18 at 09:03:19

That's what I figure is probably the trouble. I'm retired telephone company so wires don't intimidate me. (There's only four types of electrical troubles. Shorts, grounds . opens and crosses)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/29/18 at 10:11:07

go to sites like Ron Ayers , put in the year and model of your bike for exploded views and parts numbers .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newbie electrical

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.