Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2003 Voluisia Headlight Wiring Help (Read 47 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
2003 Voluisia Headlight Wiring Help
04/29/18 at 07:04:49

Gang,
Helping out a friend. He has the stock headlight and has one of those headlight bars he added with the two small headlights on each side. He apparently wired them direct and uses a separate toggle to control on off. Has had bulbs in the two small lights blowing. I want to help him track the issue but also think it would be nice to just tie them into the main headlight feed so the stock low beam feed controls power them. I don’t know the amps or volts for his bike, but in general would it be acceptable to tie in these two additional bulbs on the low beam feed without pulling more current than that end of the system can handle?

Thanks

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2003 Voluisia Headlight Wiring Help
Reply #1 - 04/29/18 at 12:15:36

Normally you would put the running lights on the wires of the turn signals that run the daytime running lights ...

Did that feller keep the orignal turn signals ?    If he is ADDING  lights then I hope they are LED ... remember the Alt. output and electrical system are Blanced .     If your adding to the system then perhaps a LED headlight and extra lights added together should equeal 55 watts .

(Wattage/Voltage = amps).  or/and ( Wattage/amps = voltage)  and/or  (amps X Voltage = Watts)

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/30/18 at 06:50:03

Thanks MM.  Let me clarify that these are not replacements for the stock running light/turn signal combo, these are additional mini-headlights. It's similar to the photo here, with the two headlights on the side being the new items (disregard the hanging turn signals as his are stock).

Yeah, I'm really not sure how it is wired up as I just saw it at night for a few minutes.  The stock front running light set-up is like the S40 in that it has the front running lights and turn signal combo with a dual filament bulb.

So what you are suggesting is to tap the additional L and R mini-headlights into the L and R power feed that feeds the stock running light/blinker combo which then splits the power requirement to the two separate feeds versus hogging it all on on the single main headlight feed?  This way the lights come on with the key, etc. like we would want.  

OR...is it proper to remove the running light feed to the stock running light/blinker combo and send that to the new mini-headlights whereas the stock running light/blinker comb is now ONLY a blinker this reducing the power draw since we aren't trying to run both the stock running light and new mini-headlight at the same time?

I don't think he has any LED lights or anything reducing the power consumption to the main headlight or stock running light/blinker combo so whatever these new lights are, are additional. And I don't think they are LED because he said he just put new bulbs in 2 days ago and they both blew. For all I know it could just be a wiring ground, or an improper connection, or an inline fuse somewhere that blew because it was pulling too much current. I have no clue but can quickly figure that out with my meter once I have a chance to get in there.

I want to help the guy out, and as Mike Holmes says, "make it right."  He is a really good guy and is also my flight review instructor that has become a friend, and we have an informal deal to trade off motorcycle work for flight time. Cool Cool Cool

lightbar.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 04/30/18 at 07:26:23

You have not said how much power they draw. If they are filiment bulbs, you said they had blown before so they most likley are, check the number on them ( 1157 or something ) then you can look-up online how much power they draw, X2. If they are LED you can check with a meter.
The S-40 does not have a lot of extra unused power to run electric add-ons. I run 2-15 watt led extra lights at night, BUT, I have changed the headlight bulb to a 20/40 watt LED daymaker sealed beam. If you add 30 to 50 watts draw with the stock H4 55/60 watt bulb you would really be pushing it. If he REALLY wants those extra lights at night, wire them on a seprate switch and only use them as needed, adding them all the time would most likley cause problems.  OR, change the main bulb to a LED with a lower draw to make ''room'' for the extra lights.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:11:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2003 Voluisia Headlight Wiring Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.