Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got my ole thumper running!!!! (Read 101 times)
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Just got my ole thumper running!!!!
04/28/18 at 06:09:22

Hey y'all!

Newish member here from Ottawa, Canada!

I picked up a 93 savage back in September for $1000cad. At the time it ran fine and the only visible issue was the choke popped in as soon as the bike started. PO said he put in a new battery & cleaned the carb. (Mistake #1 was believing him).  Past past owner, put on a pod filter, custom highway pegs (pretty sketchy, but fun) and a decent sissy bar. Other wise the bike is stock.

I got just over 100kms of riding in, when my bike started dying at high speeds on decel. Not even thinking it could possibly be the battery (cuz ya know, it was "new"), I had made the assumption my carbs were dirty & probably not jetted for the pod filter. Get the bike home & start investigating- oil smells like gas, battery visibly looks too small, pod filter is attached with plumbing tube. Check PC to see if it's faulty- and it is.  Decide my riding season is over & it's a winter project now.

Spent the majority of winter endlessly reading this forum. Thanks so much!!! You have all helped me endlessly! My mechanical skills are minimal at best, but I've been determined to work on my own motorcycles from the start (this will be my 3rd Suzuki, first LS650 & first-time doing all the work myself).

Yesterday was my reassembly day and here's how it went:

I replaced my stock PC with a raptor 660. Ordered jet kit from Lancer & then Pulled the carb, tore it apart completely, switched my jets to 150 & 55 and cleaned everything up real good (I did this 4 times, as I had stripped screws & broken gaskets etc etc). Adjusted my air/fuel mixture screw 1.5 turns out. I left the white spacer washer stock, as I'm not totally sure what that mod is & then I moved the clip up one slot (to the tip of my needle). Capped my vaccum line. Replaced my air pod with an emgo & put on a proper rubber boot instead of the plumbing tube. Changed my oil & filter, spark plug.  Bought correct battery for the bike. Reassembled, put new gas in and then crossed my fingers!!!!

The bike started right up!!! Started blowing some smoke so I killed it. Started it again, no problems, no smoke. Idle was lagging so I turned my mixture screw another half turn, and it started to sound really great!!

Heres a YouTube video of how it sounded after a 20min ride. I think I can still adjust my throttle & mixture screw, but otherwise I think I did a good job!  Next test will be high speeds & see if it still does on decel, but we're currently being hit with a bunch of rain.

https://youtu.be/pyRqJCwaXcs

Added bonus, popping is minimal compared to when I first bought the bike. Let's out one small "poof" as shut off and I'm cool with that!

My future plans are: changing the bars to ZED Biltwell bars & getting a custom sporty style exhaust made & then I'd like to swap in the Mikuni VM carb by next summer. Hoping to take this bike across Canada & visit some friends in the mountains!

Cheers!!!!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Just got my ole thumper running!!!!
Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 06:23:34

Welcome to the Forum,  Ms. C!

As you already know, there is a ton of good info here. The Savage/S40 is a bit of a Different Critter, but in a good way.

Safe rides!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 04/28/18 at 08:30:57

Depending on mileage ,you may want to check the cam chain / adjuster before investing in the new carb. Moving the clip on the needle (raising the needle jet) has basically done the same thing as the spacer mod would have ( if it's enough or to much I can't tell ) the poof at shutdown should be ignored , you tune the carb for running. It sounds like your in the ballpark. welcome !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #3 - 04/28/18 at 08:33:28

Oh yes! Good point, I do want to check the cam chain & get that mod done too. Current mileage is 53000 (I'm assuming in kms).

Thanks!!!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 05/02/18 at 11:51:17

Just under 33000 miles

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Tippyman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/05/18 at 12:13:00

Nice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got my ole thumper running!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.