Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ford is going to quit making most cars (Read 219 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Ford is going to quit making most cars
04/27/18 at 00:44:28

Ford is going to quit making most of their line of cars in 2020.   Nothing new for next year but a Mustang, a truck and a crossover.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ford is going to quit making most cars
Reply #1 - 04/27/18 at 00:55:02

Get your Crown Vic now.
I wonder what that is gonna do to the used car prices.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/27/18 at 10:03:43

Where did you hear/see that ?
I have not heard anything on the news/

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 04/27/18 at 10:36:18

LANCER wrote on 04/27/18 at 10:03:43:
Where did you hear/see that ?
I have not heard anything on the news/

It was all over the web yesterday: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/ford-is-basically-giving-up-on-us-car-busines...

If you read between the lines, it's all about profit. The SUVs, CUVs and trucks are making money and the sedans ain't.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 04/27/18 at 12:59:12

Makes complete sense. Why continue to produce something if you lose money on every sale. Focus (no pun) on what you do best.

The market wants SUV's, so that's what should be produced.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/27/18 at 18:34:34

Selling into the market,
What a concept..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/27/18 at 20:46:17

Of course none of it has anything to do with the EU forcing a change over to electric cars by year 2022 ......   Ford does sell internationally after all.

Keeping one large powerful 4-W drive cross over for hauling a boat up and down a boat ramp, one sporty sports car and one Midwest "long long haul between gas stations" sedan may be all they plan to still be using with a gas engine by year 2023.

You know, the sort of things electric cars simply aren't good at yet.

« Last Edit: 04/28/18 at 10:47:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 04/28/18 at 05:03:48

My "Cristal Ball" shows an increase in fuel prices , (Demand goes up so does PRICES) , and fair enough. Wink       These Low Fuel Prices aren't good for the World's Physical well being !  

The sad part is :  The Big Three American companies will Fight (tooth + Nail) to keep OUT the lower-price/smaller trucks we see in parts of the world that have Honest Fuel Prices.

I have a Ford Ranger with only 127,000 miles on it , and a Chevy S-10 , both of which I'll never wear out so what they do with newer trucks don't really affect me much .  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/28/18 at 19:11:03

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 04/29/18 at 06:09:59

One reason you sell a vehicle that you don't make money on is to have an entry level product. HD and the Brits stopped making small bikes in the 60's because they could make more money on big bikes. Brand loyalty actually means something. Get people in the door with your entry level car, and they buy one of your nice ones someday.
Personally, the idea of the roads full of SUVs, trucks and other land yachts makes me crazy. People have convinced themselves they need a 7,000 lb SUV to go to the grocery store.
Waste of gas. Waste of metal and materials. Waste of space. And HUGE debt as we convince ourselves that we have to have large expensive trinkets.
The housing bubble/crisis was news 10 years ago. The student loan crisis a few years ago. The automobile debt crisis will be the next crisis.
If all those folks had slightly cheaper/ smaller cars and put the few hundred bucks a month into savings/investment, the country would be much stronger in 50 years.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/29/18 at 07:55:26

Nah, the Nissan rogue size offers not even the seating of a sixties Galaxy 500.
People generally don't want the big sedan, I never did. A station wagon made sense to me, but weren't nearly common enough, until the suv. And the sizes are cool. The Pontiac Vibe was a cool car but the wife wanted something else,,
No, armen, people don't want the big stuff, they want different stuff, some people want and some Need big trucks and cars, but the small suv and the regular f150 aren't going away

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/29/18 at 08:28:05

A year ago I went shopping for a new vehicle and a salesman told me that no one came in looking for a sedan, everyone wanted a SUV or a truck.  You can't sell something that people don't want.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/29/18 at 12:56:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/18 at 07:55:26:
The Pontiac Vibe was a cool car but the wife wanted something else,,

My Pontiac Vibe is a 2006, and it is the best car I have ever owned.  I put lowering springs and 16" wheels with low profile tires to make it handle a bit better (15" wheels with snow tires in the winter).  I can haul 4 folks to dinner, fold the rear seat down and haul the dog or stuff......or haul the dog and stuff when we go camping.  It gets 30-32 mpg most of the time, and the mileage drops to 25 mpg when I haul the enclosed motorcycle trailer/camper behind.  I am approaching 150,000 miles and I wore out a bearing in the transmission at 100,000 miles - it now has a 6 speed which is reported to be more durable and it works a bit better when hauling the trailer.

It has been a very long time since I owned a sedan.....it was a 1978 Dodge Monaco that I bought when the City of Fort Thomas put it up for surplus auction.  It had been the City Manager's car, then became a detective's car......I bought it in 1983 for $850 and drove it for 2 years and sold it for $500.  It was big, and roomy, and cheap to own, and handled like a big yacht!  I was just out of college a few months and starting my working career - cheap transportation was a necessity.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 05/10/18 at 21:59:27

Dave wrote on 04/29/18 at 12:56:33:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/18 at 07:55:26:
The Pontiac Vibe was a cool car but the wife wanted something else,,

My Pontiac Vibe is a 2006, and it is the best car I have ever owned.  I put lowering springs and 16" wheels with low profile tires to make it handle a bit better (15" wheels with snow tires in the winter).  I can haul 4 folks to dinner, fold the rear seat down and haul the dog or stuff......or haul the dog and stuff when we go camping.  It gets 30-32 mpg most of the time, and the mileage drops to 25 mpg when I haul the enclosed motorcycle trailer/camper behind.  I am approaching 150,000 miles and I wore out a bearing in the transmission at 100,000 miles - it now has a 6 speed which is reported to be more durable and it works a bit better when hauling the trailer.

It has been a very long time since I owned a sedan.....it was a 1978 Dodge Monaco that I bought when the City of Fort Thomas put it up for surplus auction.  It had been the City Manager's car, then became a detective's car......I bought it in 1983 for $850 and drove it for 2 years and sold it for $500.  It was big, and roomy, and cheap to own, and handled like a big yacht!  I was just out of college a few months and starting my working career - cheap transportation was a necessity.    

Golly Dave, are you legal and old enough to vote and buy beer ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/11/18 at 03:03:14

Lancer:

It took me a long time to get to college......and to graduate.  I graduated from high school in 1974 and had no intention of going to college, and I had not taken any college prep classes.  I was working as a mechanic at a mower shop, then got a job in the A&P meat packing plant, then at a steel mill in Alliance, Ohio that made railroad undercarriages.  I finally decided to go to college and started at the University of Akron in a 2 year technical degree in Electronics.  After 2 quarters of that I realized I didn't want to spend all my time in a lab environment.  I stopped going to Akron at the end of winter and I went back to the mower shop, and the next fall I enrolled at the local branch of Kent State in a 2 year degree in Land Surveying....there were only 5 of us in the class and they dropped the program after 2 quarters.  The next fall I enrolled in engineering at the University of Cincinnati....and since I didn't have college prep classes that included calculus or geometry I was way behind.  I had to take some 3 hour calculus classes to get me up to speed with the 5 hour engineering level calculus and differential equations math classes.  I graduated from college in 1983....9 years after getting out of high school - so I was a late bloomer and I was 27 years old when I graduated from college!  It was not a quick and easy path - but it did motivate me to be a hard worker and to be thankful for all the blessings in my life.  

Those were kinder/gentler years and my full time tuition at the University of Cincinnati was $275 a quarter when I started and about $600 a quarter when I graduated. I worked as a surveyor on Saturdays and with the City of Fort Thomas on my summer quarters, and in the fall/winter/spring months I worked part time at Burger Chef across the street from the university and a couple blocks from my house (walked to school and work).  I was able to pay for all my tuition and living expenses and I didn't get any loans.....and $850 car was a big expense for me.

I was also a bit of a late bloomer when it came to drinking and voting and was long past the legal age before I did either.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:29:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ford is going to quit making most cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.