Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch Lever Hard to Close (Read 184 times)
aearil
YaBB Newbies

El Sobrante, CA
Clutch Lever Hard to Close
04/25/18 at 11:10:23

Hi all!

'15 Boulevard S40 with 13k miles on it. Only owner, I did all of the recommended maintenance through the dealer until late last year when I started doing it myself (with more or less success).

I've had an issue with the clutch lever being difficult to pull closed (disengage?). It's less like being stiff and more like a stepping motion - pull, stick halfway, release, pull all the way. At first it would only happen after I'd been riding at high speeds, but on my ride today it happened probably every third time I used the clutch (with some of these being described more as stiffness).

On a side note for consideration of damage caused by riding style - I ride almost every day and spend a lot of time on the highway and a good portion of that in traffic/splitting lanes.

I know very little of how a clutch works. I've done some research and here are my thoughts on it:

A) I probably need to use a better motor oil. Currently using Lucasoil 10W-40, but from what I read on this forum that's probably not great. I also usually replace every 3k miles since I'm mostly on the highway, and I'm at 2.6k now. Going to replace with Rotella T-6 5W40.

B) Damaged clutch cable. Could possibly be frayed and catching on something. I plan to take it out and check sometime today or tomorrow, once I do some research on how to do it!

C) I've read I might need a new clutch basket but I really DON'T want to do that.

Tbh I just want to know what's causing it so I can go about fixing it, but right now I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

Some background for when you respond/ask questions:
I've only ever worked on this bike and some minor stuff on my Mini. I've been riding this bike three years, only started doing my own maintenance since late last year. That has mostly involved changing the oil, tightening some of the bolts and such to spec, replacing the front brakes, and installing heated grips. I know I'm due for a valve adjustment but I need to figure out how to do it first.

Thanks in advance!

2015 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 15k miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Clutch Lever Hard to Close
Reply #1 - 04/25/18 at 11:24:02

Start with the easy stuff first..
Lube the cable, and make sure it has free motion.
Try some Rotella.

Cross fingers... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/25/18 at 11:44:23

The feel of mine changed
Not long before it
Broke.
Inspect it.
Look up underneath the lever.
Cable passes through a short rod, which is Supposed to rotate in the lever as the angle changes.
If it's not swiveling
The cable is being flexed in a short radius, causing the little wires to fray.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aearil
YaBB Newbies

El Sobrante, CA
Reply #3 - 04/25/18 at 12:29:45

Serowbot wrote on 04/25/18 at 11:24:02:
Lube the cable, and make sure it has free motion.
Try some Rotella.

Thanks, I'll try that! Would a regular lithium grease work for this or does it require a specific type of lube?

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #4 - 04/25/18 at 13:44:22

I lube my cable with engine oil and grease the cable end with a copious amount of wheel bearing grease at the barrel end in the lever (the knarp)

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 04/25/18 at 19:38:22

I did all of the recommended maintenance through the dealer

There's your problem right there. Dealerships will not lube clutch cables because they couldn't really give a toss. Also doing it yourself will get you used to examining the bike closely which is essential to catch that rusty screw or loose bolt or some other thing that looks different to what you recall.

Agree with earlier comment that this might be a precursor to snapping. If, after it is oiled you find the problem goes away, it would probably be advisable to purchase a spare clutch cable and keep it on the bike. (ask me how I know)

As for what product you use, I'd venture to say just about anything is good. Make sure plenty goes in so that it comes out copiously at the other end.

If you're going to attempt the valves, it is not difficult but is very time consuming the first time you do it, it is an absolute must to use the motion pro feeler gauge to make life very very much easier. https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0393 get  two.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/25/18 at 19:50:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/25/18 at 11:44:23:
The feel of mine changed
Not long before it
Broke.
Inspect it.
Look up underneath the lever.
Cable passes through a short rod, which is Supposed to rotate in the lever as the angle changes.
If it's not swiveling
The cable is being flexed in a short radius, causing the little wires to fray.

I know what can happen and why it happens.
At least look up under it and squeeze the lever and see if it's swiveling enough to not be twisting the cable back and forth. Lubing the cable in its housing won't fix this.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/26/18 at 04:16:43

Cables and levers need to be maintained, as the lube tends to collect grit.

Remove the lever and cable, clean the pivot points including the cable end.  The cable can be lubed with a "cable luber".....or Oldfeller pokes a hole in a baggie and pushes the cable into the hole - then tapes the baggie to the cable, then puts light oil in the baggie and lets it seep into the cable for a day or two.

You need the cable tool and a can of spray.
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/26/18 at 06:54:29

And if the rod isn't swiveling enough to not bend it, it's Gonna Break.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/26/18 at 08:15:37

I generally use a thin spray lube that will mostly wash out the end eventually.  I don't want oil that's thick enough to gunk up inside the cable and collect dust and grit.
Barely any oil remaining is the goal.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 04/26/18 at 08:35:56

aearil

My Cristol Ball see's  a new clutch cable in you near future !  Grin    They don't cost that much anyway , put the new one on and if that don't solve the problem its no really big lost.

FYI , I use T-6 and change ever 10,000 miles or once a year (which-ever comes first)  wether it needs it or not  .     My guzzi owners/maintance schule calls for T-6 type oil and change every 10,000 km. (6,200 miles).  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
aearil
YaBB Newbies

El Sobrante, CA
Reply #11 - 04/28/18 at 13:18:30

Figured it out!

So I started by disconnecting the top of the clutch cable so I could A) inspect it and B) lube it. Lubed it, connected it back up. Adjusted the play, and when I went to test it... It got caught again!

Turns out the glue on my handgrip had broken loose. The hand grip would occasionally twist enough that the wire coming out of it (heated hand grips) would block the clutch lever from closing. I feel like an idiot but at least it works now.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #12 - 04/28/18 at 13:53:10

I'm in Canada (the other CA), I wear gloves.  Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 04/28/18 at 16:38:55

I have never had a clutch cable failure. All I have ever done is to turn the bars to the right to raise the clutch lever as high as possible. Then dribble a little engine oil, or whatever, on to the cable, pull the clutch a few times and a little more oil. That's it. The same with the front brake cable when we has them.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 04/28/18 at 18:24:39

Aearil have the heated grips been turned on long enough to kill your battery yet? How many watts do they draw?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Lever Hard to Close

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.