Send Topic Print
HELP (Read 77 times)
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

HELP
04/21/18 at 21:28:52

So I recently swapped my bars on my 2004 suzuki Savage from stock buck horns to 10” mini apes. I made sure it was a good fit and all my connections were good. My pops took it for a spin down the road and about 4  miles down the road as he slowed down the bike died on him. I came down and jumped the bike and drove it back. As I was riding home the bike started backfireing and bogging down (I thought maybe from when I disconnected and reconnected the fuel line there was some hiccups in the line or something) but I made it back. I put the charger on the battery and let it get to full charge. (back story on the battery, it’s a year old and I have had it on the charger all winter, only removed it to ride a couple times.) Here is where things are weird. When I turn the key on the bike to turn the lights on I get nothing, even though the trickle charger said the battery is at max. But if the charger is hooked up to the bike/battery when I turn the key the front headlight and the front left blinker comes on but that’s it. The other blinkers don’t come on but they do work for example when I turn on the hazards or blinkers they function properly. I even tried starting the bike with the charger on but it just clicked and shut off and I had to wait a moment for the lights to kick back on after that. I checked the fuses and there all good. If you guys have any idea what’s goin on let me know! Thanks! I’ll post pictures if needed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: HELP
Reply #1 - 04/21/18 at 21:35:31

The connections under the tank can cause some odd stuff.
Getting wires in the tank mounts is something I've never seen, but it's not impossible I guess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/22/18 at 09:53:12

This all happens with or without the tank being connected

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/22/18 at 10:02:36

There are other connections under there.
Disconnect, inspect, each

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/22/18 at 10:31:43

The connectors for the left and right handlebar controls affect a lot of things.......if the left one is loose the headlight, running lights, turn signals and horn can all be affected.  If the right one is loose.....the starter and kill switch can be goofed up.

It is most common for the left one to have issues.

And.....you put  on taller handlebars that are likely pulling on the wires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/22/18 at 10:46:57

The front left light that comes on with your headlight is not the turn signal ,it's the front running light ,as the front lights are double filament bulbs. this leads me to think that you may have swapped connectors /or have a pinched wire / shorted filament ?)on the right running light (it should also be on with the left and headlight) sending the power to it to ground .  You should check all your connectors and check battery connections .  Leaving your battery on charge all the time may have damaged it, if you used a trickle charger rather than a battery maintainer.  You should get a volt meter ,charge the battery ,then let it sit 24 hrs.  and see if it maintains most of  it's voltage level(12.3-12.7v).You can also check that it is higher than 10 volts when you engage the starter ,as this much voltage is needed to produce a spark .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/22/18 at 11:38:47

This is the charger I use and left it on for the winter. I’m currently in the process of testing the battery.

1B08C0AB-A199-405C-86B6-016FE0E6CA33.jpeg
  IP Logged
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/22/18 at 12:28:22

Update: I disconnected and reconnected the battery to make sure the connections were solid and I get power to the bike now without the charger. Just the same problem remains with the running front right and rear blinkers. All the switches (horn, blinkers, hazards, starter) are working. I’m going to put my tank back on and try to fire it up.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/22/18 at 12:38:04

OK it's a battery tender, that shouldn't have damaged the battery,but do you have a volt meter? how low was the battery voltage that you had to jump the bike to get it back home? That's why I think you might have a grounding problem , and the front lights are the only wiring with three separate connectors,one for each wire. keep in mind that the flasher is the brighter of the two filaments. the rear blinkers probably won't work without the fuel tank connected.

IP Logged
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/22/18 at 18:05:12

I’m un-sure of the voltage reading when the bike was being jumped but I did take the battery to autozone to get it tested and it’s functioning perfect. I took it for a ride and is running good plus noticed the front right running light periodically working. The connection for this light is inside the headlamp?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/22/18 at 19:38:22

Pull the lens, pull the bulb, eyeball the bulb and socket, even if you replace it, eyeball the socket for corrosion.
Then go hunting for an electrical problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/22/18 at 20:53:53

Or swap it for the known good left bulb just to test, still making sure the socket is good . Then if it doesn't work check the connectors ,yes that wiring is all inside the headlight . the running lights are usually (don't know about all years) gray wires (2) one for each light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.