Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
best choice for larger rear rim? (Read 221 times)
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
best choice for larger rear rim?
04/20/18 at 16:09:54

Looking to finally get back to building my voodoo vintage chop project savage. Im looking to get a new larger rear rim for it now. Either new or used. Whats the best options out there for either? I kind of plan on buying a rim and having a local shop lace up my stock hub assembly as i'm told thats really my best option. Thinking 17 plus for ground clearance now that i'm chopped. Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: best choice for larger rear rim?
Reply #1 - 04/20/18 at 19:16:02

One of the problems in getting a different rear rim....is that any "old" rim you find that has the spoke holes angled to match a rear hub with a drum brake....is that the rim is likely to be only 1.85 - 2.15 inches wide.  That narrow of a rim doesn't work with new style tires, and you will be forced to go with a narrow tire that has tall sidewalls.  Vintage sizes are listed like 4.00 x 18, 3.50x18, etc.

The best choice for a modern rim that is wider - is Buchanan's Spoke and Rim in CA.  They can punch the rim to match the angle you need for the Savage hub, and they can also sell you the correct length of spokes....and they likely can lace the wheel as cheaply as your local shop.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 04/20/18 at 19:55:27

I used Woody's Wheel Works in Colorado. They built up a 2.5x18 rear wheel with alloy rim and did their tubeless conversion thing, as well as stainless spokes and nipples.
Nice folks

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 04/21/18 at 05:38:27

+1 for Buchanan's. Great product, support and communication.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Grinin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/18 at 10:56:37

do you have any idea how much they charge for drilling a 3.50x18 rear rim for a LS 650 rear hub

IP Logged
Grinin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/18 at 11:06:25

Im wondering for you guys going with the 18" rear tires. Im trying to figure out what the problem is with the stock frame for trying to do corners well. Its not my desire to be a big knee drager but want it to look cool(to me) and feel sort of cool in the corners as well. If brought this up before with some others and any attempt to get any kind of cornering performance tips are met with get a sportbike. I dont want a sportbike. I just want simple and fun. I dont understand the hatred of wanting to talk about putting a little performance cornering into this bike. I assume the 18" rear wheel people (tracker, cafe racer whatever) wouldnt mind a few cornering tips as well. I look forward to your replies.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/21/18 at 13:21:22

The stock Savage suffers from having to wide a rear tire, 130 -90-15 tire would allow it to turn into curve better, the other problem is it's neck angle of 35degrees ,where most sport bikes, are more like 27-29 which gives faster turning and shorter wheel base , You can improve a stock bike 's handling by use of the 130tire, taller and  better shocks,and a fork brace.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #7 - 04/21/18 at 14:12:18

Well put Batman. The Savage was meant to be an entry level cruiser. Sportbikes are somewhat specialized machines, much like the Savage is, but both are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither bike can be made to do the others job well, so it will be a compromise and not do either job very well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/21/18 at 15:34:14

MMRanch and Oldfeller have proven the Savage can corner really well in the twisties.......it is not all that good at high speed sweepers and tends to wander a bit when the speeds increase.  It is not a great handling bike or fast in the corners compared to a dedicated sport bike with a good rider.....but it does a lot better than most of the bigger cruisers.

The 140/80 and 140/90 tires are heavy - the 130/90 is a good fit on the bike if you want to keep the rear rim size.  Using a "cruiser" 15" rear rim diameter really limits the type of tire you can buy.....you cannot buy a sticky performance tire.

Changing to a 17" or 18" rear rim will dramatically change the type of tire you can buy - you will be able to find tires with multiple compounds and modern tread styles.  If you use a common vintage 2.50" wide rim you will be limited to something around a 120/90 tire - changing to a 3.50" rim will allow you to use a more modern  130/70 tire and make the tread profile much better.  I have run the Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax BT45 - both of them wear out in 6,000 - 8,000 miles if you ride around corners briskly.

If you change the bike to a Cafe' or Tracker style bike it drops the forks, raises the back, and the result is the fork angle steepens, you get more weight on the front wheel, and the trail in the forks decreases - the bike steers less like a cruiser.....it is still not a sport bike but steers very nicely.  

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 04/21/18 at 20:01:57

I did the 18" to quicken the steering, raise the gearing, and allow me a better choice of tires. I went narrower because the stock tire is too much rubber/weight for a 30HP bike.
Sending the hub to Woody's for SS spokes and nipples, alloy rim, the tubeless conversion, and labor was about $600.
I asked, and Buchanans won't do the tubeless conversion.
Less weight, easier roadside flat fix, and never buying another tube, were my reasons to go tubeless.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #10 - 04/25/18 at 03:14:37

Suzuki DR750 with drum brake has the same hub and and 2.5x17" rim. That's the cost effective way, can be bought for 100 euro or less.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/25/18 at 04:07:16

kojones wrote on 04/25/18 at 03:14:37:
Suzuki DR750 with drum brake has the same hub and and 2.5x17" rim. That's the cost effective way, can be bought for 100 euro or less.

For those of us in the US - the DR750 or DR800 wheel is likely not a workable option.  Those bikes are very rare bike in the US.....the only wheel I could find listed on eBay recently was in Germany and was not in great condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Wheel-Rear-Wheel-Suzuki-Dr-750-sr41b-/112951497...

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #12 - 04/26/18 at 17:51:28

Good info thanks everyone. Trying to decide if 17 or 18 inch would be best to go with and what width. This is all new to me being my rear end now is a voodoo vintage hard tail now. Kind of a guessing game at this point ha.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/26/18 at 18:34:18

yetimeister wrote on 04/26/18 at 17:51:28:
Kind of a guessing game at this point ha.

Have you looked through the Bike Builds section to see what others have done?

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #14 - 04/27/18 at 14:14:43

Dave wrote on 04/26/18 at 18:34:18:
yetimeister wrote on 04/26/18 at 17:51:28:
Kind of a guessing game at this point ha.

Have you looked through the Bike Builds section to see what others have done?

Yeah I have been. I haven't found much yet for rear rim info set ups honestly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › best choice for larger rear rim?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.