Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Raptor petcock (Read 136 times)
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raptor petcock
04/19/18 at 06:49:06

I've just purchased a new Raptor petcock to replace the stock petcock on my 2006 S40. After reading several posts  I am under the impression that I need to turn the fuel valve to the off position after shutting it down and parking it.  Is this every time or only if I'm letting the bike sit for an extended period of time without riding it?  Clarification please.
Thanks

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Raptor petcock
Reply #1 - 04/19/18 at 06:52:35

I only shut mine off when I'm done for the day or I'm parked at work all day...you get used to it. If you leave it on it's not a big deal...there is a possibility that it could flood your crankcase with gas but very unlikely.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/19/18 at 07:00:02

Got it, thanks.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/19/18 at 08:46:15

It is dependent on the your float valve ,If your float valve is in good shape and holding ,it stops the flow into the carb ,If not the carb bowl will over flow and the gas tank empty, sending fuel into the air box or cylinder/oil sump  ,much as a bad stock petcock would do.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/19/18 at 10:32:04

As a safety precaution and not to create any issues, I’ll put it in the off position when I’m not riding. I’d rather be safe than sorry.
My parents raised only one idiot, that’s my older brother. 😊

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 04/19/18 at 10:53:36

I always turn mine off before I reach my house. I am familiar with the point to shut it off so that the engine quits when I get to my driveway.
The reason I do this is to make sure that that the float is down and the fuel valve is off its seat relieving the pressure on the rubber insert.

Just trying to outwit the carb. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/19/18 at 13:02:02

I do the same things......the STOP sign down the street gets me to my driveway before the sputtering commences, and I have a downhill driveway.

We have reformulated E10 fuel.....I don't like that stuff corroding things in my float bowl as the bike is waiting for the next ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/19/18 at 13:45:35

...and how many people get to say,...
"I  have a pet raptor"......

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/19/18 at 14:10:26

Serowbot wrote on 04/19/18 at 13:45:35:
...and how many people get to say,...
"I  have a pet raptor"......

Most people don't call hawks pets.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/19/18 at 22:38:37

Draining the level of the float bowl ,except for prolonged periods of disuse is not something I've ever done I can't see the logic . The float bowl being always open to atmosphere(oxygen & humidity) would seem to allow more metal open to corrosion than if they were submerged in fuel. The float valve tip sees more  force slamming up and down from fuel level movements caused by road irregularities ,than it will with the bike parked .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/20/18 at 03:54:22

batman wrote on 04/19/18 at 22:38:37:
Draining the level of the float bowl ,except for prolonged periods of disuse is not something I've ever done I can't see the logic . The float bowl being always open to atmosphere(oxygen & humidity) would seem to allow more metal open to corrosion than if they were submerged in fuel. The float valve tip sees more  force slamming up and down from fuel level movements caused by road irregularities ,than it will with the bike parked .

If I run the engine out of fuel, there is very little crappy E10 fuel in the float bowl to promote the corrosion or dissolve the rubber parts.  

New equipment is shipped with empty float bowls - and I can't imagine the mile ride to my house as the float bowl drains is harder on the float than being shipped from Japan or China.  All float assemblies have "stops" built in that prevent the float from dropping too far - the range of motion is limited and prevents any potential damage.

I have never had any problems with clogged up carbs or getting the bike started once I began to run the float bowls dry as I arrive home.

I do live on a paved road.......and how much "forceful slamming" do you believe 1/2 oz of fuel can impose?  Huh   

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/20/18 at 07:57:34

Ok   Dave ,how many rubber parts are you "saving" from all that nasty gas ? I count one ,the ($4.21 ?)O-ring on the  float valve seat. If your going to run the fuel out of the bowl ,because your not riding it for a while wouldn't make more sense to remove the bowl drain plug rather than leave a small amount of fuel to evaporate forming "varnish"? As for the float valve tip , I don't believe there is any more wear on it by not draining the bowl ,this was a reason someone else gave.(there's no speed bumps or RR crossings in Ky?) And what is the worry about E-10 ? what part of that fuel is going to plug your jets?My carb has been running 23 seasons on E-10 and I have never had to replace any parts rubber or otherwise ,nor have I replaced /cleaned jets other than for tuning.The fact that you may someday run out of gas while turning into your driveway in front of oncoming traffic gives me the "willies".

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/20/18 at 08:42:17

Batman:

My neighbor brought over his CR450 Honda, as fuel was pouring out the float bowl.  I took the carb apart, and discovered the rubber tip of the float valve had been pushed crooked by the white blossom of corrosion the ethanol caused.  Your fuel in New York is not the crap we get in Northern KY.....in a very short time this fuel will turn aluminum white and fuzzy, and turn rubber parts into taffy. (The problems begin when the fuel portion evaporates and leaves behind a high concentration of ethanol).

Your world and where you ride are obviously different from mine.  My use of the Raptor petcock works for me.....and I am going to continue to shut it off at the intersection down the road.

You might get the Willies on your local roads - mine are far more forgiving.  I shut off the fuel at same intersection (my visual cue to turn off the petcock at the end of my ride), and it begins to sputter as I reach my drive every time.....same routine for the past 6 years.  And most times I never see a car for that last mile, as I live in a rural area where traffic flow is low and speeds are slow.  "Oncoming traffic".....you will likely have to wait 20 or 30 minutes before any of it comes along.

Here is a photo that shows the road I live on - my driveway is on the left side, just beyond the tree line.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/20/18 at 08:44:37

I've seen my carb get a greenish slime in it. I'm thinking it was caused by not riding enough, the summer heat evaporated the gas, and after I let that happen six or eight times it harked a loogie into a jet.
I'm pretty sure gas is formulated different here .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 04/20/18 at 10:17:38

Well now I feel bad for you guys , I guess you have to do what works for you , thankfully I don't ,but Dave did mention they where getting rid of Reformulated fuel ( what ever that is!)  So maybe you'll have better luck in the future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 01:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.