Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to (legally) get rid of a gun? (Read 128 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to (legally) get rid of a gun?
04/12/18 at 08:42:19

This is not a motorcycle related question. This is a firearm related question, one of my other expensive, time consuming, pointless hobbies. I have a Survival Arms AR-7, .22, produced between 1990-1997, bought new. It has been an absolute disaster. A gun for "survival" must be, above all, reliable and accurate. This gun, despite many attempts to fix it, has never been either. This is NOT the Henry version (I wish it was!). It is actually not safe to shoot. Therefore I would never sell it even with a disclaimer. So, all you gun-smart dudes out there, what is a legal way to permanently take a firearm out of circulation and get rid of the aftermath? I have been waiting for a gun buy-back program to no avail.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: How to (legally) get rid of a gun?
Reply #1 - 04/12/18 at 08:59:01

Polish and clean it really good and head for you local pawn shop !    Trade it for something and wish the new owner Good Luck !    

Sell it to a Gun Smith  would be the best thing to do with it ... or ... I'm sure I could modify it to act right ... How far away are you from middle Tn. ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/12/18 at 10:11:53

Simple. If you want to take it out of commission, a band saw to the barrel, then filling all the voids with cement, will do the trick.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/12/18 at 10:23:58

Grind the numbers and other identifying info completely off and cut it up into little pieces.  Parts that can be smashed take a sledge to them so that all you have is a container with scrape metal in it.  Throw that into a box with other assorted metal pieces you may have collected, nuts, bolts, springs, rusty anything, and take it to a salvage place and sell the box of metal.  It will all be melted and gone.
If anyone asks you, them it was a danger to fire so you destroyed it.
You own it and you can destroy it if you wish.  It will certainly not turn up anywhere so no one can come after you for it.
You can even take a photo of the pile of destroyed parts and the receipt for the scrap metal you sold, if you wanted to keep them for proof of destruction.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 04/12/18 at 10:40:55

Don't grind off the sn#! You can go to jail for that!
I go along with cuting it up into peices, but turn the pieces into the local PD. They should even give you a reciept.
But a reciever with no numbers is a ticket to jail.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/12/18 at 11:34:53

badwolf wrote on 04/12/18 at 10:40:55:
Don't grind off the sn#! You can go to jail for that!
I go along with cuting it up into peices, but turn the pieces into the local PD. They should even give you a reciept.
But a reciever with no numbers is a ticket to jail.

JAIL...don't like that.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 04/12/18 at 11:46:15

Just turn it into the PD?  Why go to all the trouble cutting it up if you turn it over to the PoPo?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/12/18 at 12:13:31

Why do anything? I understand that those things aren't any great shakes of a rifle, but so what?Take it apart, store the parts in the stock like it's designed for,toss it in the back of your closet, and forget about it. You don't have to feed or water it, it doesn't take up much room, it isn't going to make any noise, and it won't crap on the floor or chew up your shoes. Someday you might wish you still had it.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 04/12/18 at 15:50:48

[highliWhy do anything? I understand that those things aren't any great shakes of a rifle, but so what?Take it apart, store the parts in the stock like it's designed for,toss it in the back of your closet, and forget about it. You don't have to feed or water it, it doesn't take up much room, it isn't going to make any noise, and it won't crap on the floor or chew up your shoes. Someday you might wish you still had it. ght]    [/highlight]

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/12/18 at 18:18:07

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I bought this thing in '95 on a whim, from a place with a "No Return" policy. If you are at all familiar with this travesty (see internet reviews, NOT the Henry version!) no one ever had any luck with it. It cannot be repaired; several gunsmiths have tried. It just has too many faults. The worst fault: sometimes the firing pin will jam, and when you charge the weapon, it goes off. If it actually feeds the way it's supposed to (rarely), it will exhaust all 7 rounds from the magazine automatically, in whatever direction it's pointing. Got thrown off the range when that happened. I suppose cutting it up is probably the best idea. Many shooters tell me that when Henry bought the rights in '98, they solved all the problems. Maybe I'll get one of those.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/12/18 at 20:52:01

You can just cut it up and turn it over to local police, if they wont for some reason take it then damage the parts further if you want, but do not file off those numbers.  

I've cut a barrel and turned in parts due to safety issues myself for a friend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/12/18 at 21:05:45

Does that manufacturer still exist?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/12/18 at 22:44:06

If you turn it in, take it all apart, take out a significant part and replace it with a piece of junk from something else.   Smiley  really piss someone off trying to put it back together.

WWW   IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/13/18 at 08:04:04

I would suggest you just ship it to me.....

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #14 - 04/13/18 at 08:50:54

A good way to make a gun inoperative?  Take the firing pin out. If you need help with disassembly, there are multiple online videos for just about any gun out there. Put the gun back together (without firing pin), and you know it will be safe.

Mere possession of a gun with ground off serial numbers is a felony.

Some people have been prosecuted for having a firearm capable of full automatic fire, even when it should have been obvious it was not their intent (the firearm was faulty).

A jamming firing pin may cause full auto fire, so will a faulty sear engagement (trigger assembly). A competent gunsmith should have been able to rectify that problem. It may not be cost efficient though, as the AR-7 is not a high end gun.

Where are you located?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:34:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › How to (legally) get rid of a gun?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.