Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2012 S40 stalling upon stop (Read 64 times)
Dennis m
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2012 S40 stalling upon stop
04/09/18 at 10:05:40

I am a newbie bought bike last year 1200 miles now 1900 miles. just started from last year. bike started quickly  and i took out for a ride, when i came to a stop sign i pulled in clutch and bike stalled. bike started up again with a bit of trouble. turned around immediately and it happened again. Got back to garage started up and it would stall. i increased idle speed and it stayed running. took out again and the same thing happened, stalled when i came to a stop.
I did not drain gas tank and put in new gas.
i have also read about petcock issues, carb starving for gas.
Any suggestions please. Thanks

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: 2012 S40 stalling upon stop
Reply #1 - 04/09/18 at 10:18:19

your problem seems to be in the idle circuit of the carb ,you didn't drain the carb? or use Sta-bil in the gas? if the carb sat with fuel in the bowl ,  you most likely have a plugged/dirty pilot jet .but it may be a good idea to clean the bowl and main jet as well.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/09/18 at 15:23:07

Low idle speed is deadly for the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 04/10/18 at 03:11:11

Mine used to stall also, until I raised the idle speed a bit, no more stalling. Cool

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 04/10/18 at 06:00:07

Make sure your idle is not too low.

I understand that too rich at idle can also cause a stumble and stall when snapping the throttle closed.

I had some intermittent stalling when coming up to stop signs after about a mile of 40-45mph running. It would happen when the weather was cool, about 55 degrees or less. It turned out to be the vacuum petcock. It got stiff when cold and engine vacuum couldn't hold it open. Shortly later it would start running out of gas during high speed uphill or against a stiff wind situations. You can test this by running on prime and seeing if the problem goes away.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/10/18 at 08:49:56

Order a manual Yamaha Raptor petcock and get rid of that stock POS before you do anything else. Mine is a 2012, and that stock petcock went wonky at around 1200 miles. At idle, your engine isn't generating enough vacuum to keep it open, especially if you have been running E10 with no stabilizer, and the rubber gasket has stiffened up. Knowing what I do about the otherwise bulletproof reliability of this bike, I would not start tearing anything apart, potentially causing more problems, until I addressed the petcock first. You can try switching to "PRI" while running, then switch back to "RUN" while turned off. See if that works first.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/10/18 at 09:05:38

If you don't buy The Yamaha part the fuel lines will be too small.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:13:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2012 S40 stalling upon stop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.