Send Topic Print
Front End Fear (Read 205 times)
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Front End Fear
04/06/18 at 09:25:27

Went for a ride today and it was pretty windy . The wind would catch the front end and push the bike around like crazy. I felt I could lose control at any moment, having to move around like a monkey, and counter steering at times. Wind will have a effect on any bike, but I never felt it this bad. Going from a Harley 48, with a fat front tire, to the Savage was a big difference . Everything is stock and in good condition and I have the front fender on. Is there anything I can do to improve this ? I don't want to have to plan a trip based on wind.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front End Fear
Reply #1 - 04/06/18 at 09:43:08

I get some good gusts and it does play with me from time to time.
I think it's steering geometry and a spoked wheel.
Also a windshield will affect how you sense it.

With my original windshield, I would feel my body being pulled into the wind naturally countering the gust.  
My current fly shields don't do that.

Gusts up to 30 mph don't bother me.  I can keep to my track.
I can remember driving a VW van during 1 wind storm, that thing was all over the road and it was a 6 lane freeway.  I turned around and went home.

WWW   IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #2 - 04/06/18 at 10:12:09

Forgot to say that I'm also using 1 inch longer rear shocks.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 04/06/18 at 10:33:52

There's nothing to fear here. Yes, wind will move a light bike across a lane. Be prepared;

- If the wind is blowing from your left, bias your position in the lane to the left so you have room to move to the right.

- Keep a loose grip on the bars, a white-knuckled death grip never helps with handling and it makes for sore shoulders and an uncomfortable rider. A loose rider is a rider that is agile and able to react.

- A tall wind screen is like a sail on a boat, especially in high wind situations. If you have one, remove it for the day.

- Here's the big one...don't over think it. If you can't help yourself, don't ride that day.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 04/07/18 at 08:48:48

Any chance you have a tool or roll bag strapped on the front end somewhere?  Others have reported odd steering problems with that setup.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 08:57:39

Nothing wrong with the bike,.. it's just fairly light.
Those taller rear shocks should actually help a little by transferring more weight to the front.

You might try relaxing your grip... sometimes the wind buffeting your shoulders will make you pull on the steering in a gust,... and then overcorrect... amplifying the wallows.
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 04/07/18 at 09:08:52

hotrod wrote on 04/06/18 at 09:25:27:
Wind will have a effect on any bike, but I never felt it this bad. Going from a Harley 48, with a fat front tire, to the Savage was a big difference.

That is a telling statement. You are used to a heavier bike,. The Savage is lighter and has a shorter wheelbase so you are feeling the effect of wind more than with the Harley. Plus you are using taller shocks which reduced rake and trail slightly making steering feel more responsive so that amplifies the effect. If there are no problems with your bike, give it a little time and you will get used to how it feels on windy days.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #7 - 04/07/18 at 10:47:35

-
"- Keep a loose grip on the bars, a white-knuckled death grip never helps with handling and it makes for sore shoulders and an uncomfortable rider. A loose rider is a rider that is agile and able to react."
"You might try relaxing your grip... sometimes the wind buffeting your shoulders will make you pull on the steering in a gust,... and then overcorrect... amplifying the wallows.
JMHO... "

As a kid I pushed through a front south of Minneapolis in an old freighter with no oxygen down at the treetops, throttles to the stops, losing altitude by the minute and with knuckles bright white. Finally my old WWII bomber co-pilot said "I got it kid" much to my relief. He pulled the throttles back, dialed in some trim and hardly touched the controls. As with bikes, a great lesson in white knuckled over-control.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 04/07/18 at 11:03:32

Thanks for all the suggestions  given.  No bags or windshield on the front.  Looks like the only adjustment I can make is from the neck up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/07/18 at 14:38:51

If you'll relax the front end will blow out from under you and counter steer you back onto your line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/08/18 at 03:55:59

Hotrod:

Are you a relatively new rider - first time in strong wind?

Most bikes will self correct when blown around, and you really have to do nothing......and tensing up on the bars/grips doesn't allow the bike to self correct.

Similar thing happens on some bridges with metal grating.  The front tire wanders around on the grates, and you just have to let it happen and not try to fight it.  (It is scary the first time you encounter it).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #11 - 04/08/18 at 05:47:42

Check the steering head bearings. Loose ones will make the bike a lot more exciting.
Longer rear shocks means the front end is tightened up. Good news is that the bike will steer quicker. Bad news is that the bike will steer quicker. Clapped out fork springs make the problem worse.
What tire pressures are you running on which tires?
How much does the front end sag when you sit on the bike?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #12 - 04/08/18 at 08:47:58

Steering bearings are about 4 months old. Sag is almost 1 inch. Using 10 wt. oil.  Tire pressure is 30 front, 32 rear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/08/18 at 09:14:41

Sit on it
Grab front brake
Push
Pull
Feel a click?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 04/08/18 at 10:39:19

1 inch of sag suggests that the spring rate is too high or that the preload needs to be adjusted. You should see over 1-1/2 of race sag. What is the static sag (the amount of sag with you off the bike?) Are they the original springs? Also, 10wt oil will not provide enough compression damping on an unmodified damping rod.

Tell me about your fork work.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:24:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front End Fear