Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn signals blink too fast; headlight very dim (Read 136 times)
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Turn signals blink too fast; headlight very dim
04/05/18 at 06:49:54

Hey everyone,

I just noticed today that when turning the ignition on, and also after the bikes started, that the headlight is very dim to the point of almost being off.  Also, when using the turn signals in each direction, both front and back blinkers flash very fast.  The front signals bulbs also appear to be dimmer than usual.    The hazards seemed to work fine.  Turned the ignition off and back on a couple times, still no fix.  The bikes a 2013 with a little over 6k on it.  Any ideas what it could be?  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Turn signals blink too fast; headlight very di
Reply #1 - 04/05/18 at 07:53:14

I'd start with a simple voltage check. If you have enough current to start the bike there doesn't appear to be a charging system problem - unless you are still operating on reserve capacity. Make sure that you have 14.2+ VDC at the battery while the bike is turning 4,000 rpm (give or take).

I'd also check the voltage at the H4 socket. If you have a voltage drop, I would suspect the left handlebar control unit as that controls both the light and directionals. How does the horn work?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/05/18 at 08:22:55

TTom wrote on 04/05/18 at 06:49:54:
Hey everyone,

I just noticed today that when turning the ignition on, and also after the bikes started, that the headlight is very dim to the point of almost being off.  

On later model bike the headlight power goes thru the starter switch.  You might clean it and also the 2 connectors under the tank.
Quote:
Also, when using the turn signals in each direction, both front and back blinkers flash very fast.  

Fast flashing usually an indication a bulb is out or you've changed to LEDs?
Quote:
The front signals bulbs also appear to be dimmer than usual.   The hazards seemed to work fine.  Turned the ignition off and back on a couple times, still no fix.  

Why are you doing that?

WWW   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/05/18 at 08:56:45

Here's a thought. Shortly after I brought my 2012 S40 home, the turn signals just quit. Headlight was dim, but the hazards worked fine. After much troubleshooting, I discovered a big green connector under the saddle had come loose. The detent that held it closed was defective, and engine vibrations caused it to come apart. I put it back together, and used a very small zip tie to wrap around it and hold it together. No problems since then. Good Luck!

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #4 - 04/05/18 at 10:21:20

I do not have a volt meter, but I'll see if I can borrow one.  I'm not a great electrician or mechanic for that matter so it'll take a little work on my part.  

I didn't think to check the horn, so I'll do that next.  I'll also check the green connector.  I believe that's the turn signal modulator or something like that?

My suspicion is something is maybe corroded in the switch or the grounding is off somewhere.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 04/05/18 at 10:35:23

TTom wrote on 04/05/18 at 10:21:20:
I believe that's the turn signal modulator or something like that?

It's the connector from the ignition switch to the harness.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #6 - 04/05/18 at 11:10:28

Great thank you Gary.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 04/05/18 at 11:39:47

Harbor Fright sells a volt meter for about $6.00 ,which comes with directions . the headlight ,  front turn signals,  and the horn all share a common ground wire (black with a white strip ) that runs to a large connector on the left side of the frame above the horn and spark coil , I'd check that to be sure it's clean and tight. It 's the only wire common to all your problems , headlight and front signals dimmer due to less power, flasher is faster due to less load ,it's only sending full power to the back signals because they have their own grounds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #8 - 04/05/18 at 15:10:11

Batman,
Thanks for the advice.  When I started the bike after work, I happed to click the high beam flasher button (yellow button)and the headlight came on and signals started working again.  After using the turn signal switch twice, the problem came back.  Horn wouldn’t work either so I started clicking it a bunch of times and it would work then stop.  Sounds like a short in the switch but hopefully I can troubleshoot further.  I’m pretty unfamiliar with electrical systems.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/05/18 at 23:07:34

TTom ,you don't need to thank me for advice you didn't use. then again you didn't fix anything.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #10 - 04/06/18 at 03:46:34

I've had the same kind of problem couple of times, there's a black box under the tank and it's connector has been loose or corroded. Six pins, controls the decompression solenoid too.

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #11 - 04/06/18 at 16:11:14

You guys were right, it’s the connector just above the horn and tucked under the tank.  Just by moving it the lights came back on.  Its pretty snug up in there so I’ll tinker with it a little more later.  Is there an easy way to get at it to clean without messing with the tank?

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/06/18 at 17:04:07

Glad you found it. You may have to pull the gas tank, which is pretty easy. Same with the saddle. If you're going to do that, you may want to change that petcock, if yours still has the stock vacuum actuated type.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 04/06/18 at 17:15:55

You'll need to remove the seat and then the tank ,you should clean the contacts if they need it, then make sure the connector is tight. You can place a plastic wire tie around it if you think it may loosen again, and your welcome.

« Last Edit: 04/06/18 at 19:56:35 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:16:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signals blink too fast; headlight very dim

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.