pacific northwest
What you gonna use?
04/03/18 at 17:12:40

You should know the answer by now  Grin

Back at work today, again....
It’s nice to see all my friends.
Funny how they seem so much more real
Than folks on the Internet  Cheesy

My wife is sad that I won’t be home to eat, walk, etc, with her in the evenings.
Been pounding this schedule for so long I forgot what normal looked like.
I informed them that I am going to guit.
I have a meeting coming up on Thursday, after I talk with my financial advisor...
I won’t stay on any longer, I don’t care what they offer.

It was amazing how my blood pressure was normal, not working like a fool.
If my doctor was to see my numbers, I am sure he would demand me to guit rightt now.

Just a matter of weeks now, and I will have a life again 😋
Too many unhappy and miserable people in this world, always mad, always blaming others and circumstances....

Don’t be one of them, tho you’ll have much company, it won’t give you the peace we need to survive and enjoy.....

All you still in the game, decide what’s important, then aim for that.

And finally, sunscreen  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: What you gonna use?
Reply #1 - 04/04/18 at 00:01:15

Raydawg, if you're talking retirement, I did it at just over 62, three years before the NZ pension. I've never missed paid employment and wouldn't go back to it if they paid me to. Balancing that, I have a friend whose wife is a librarian and she loves it, doesn't seem to care about retirement. An acquaintance of mine is a marine electrician, he is still working at ninety, and it's not out of economic necessity.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/04/18 at 00:40:12

Thanks for sharing your insight....

Yeah I am the guy who enjoys working, I like to keep engaged and active, always have been.
I spent my summers working, and weekends, right out of 8th grade.
I didn’t have to, my parents were upper middle class, I just enjoyed it.
Bought my first home in Southern California at 23 years of age.

I am not going to retire just yet.
I already accepted another job on the island, no commute, don’t even have to go to the office, and they give me a truck.
I will work only 3 days a week.
I believe it will be like having a foot inside the door, and one outside  Grin
My wife is under contract to work 3 more years, then I will retire in total, at that point and travel with her.
If I just decide to retire, I can, I have the luxury of that option....
I know the pace I am at now is not sustainable, not at my age.

Again, thank you for your reply.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/04/18 at 04:24:57

Ray:

There will be some adjustment for you - but you will find that the new attitude adjustment will come pretty quickly.

I am only 3 months into my "semi-retirement" job....and life is far less stressful now.  I find myself much more relaxed on my drives to/from work, I am not in a constant hustle to get things done at home or at work, and I find that I am much better at actually relaxing when my wife and I go do something fun.

I am learning how to relax and have fun again! Smiley

Sorry if this is just trashing up your thread.....but anytime sunscreen is mentioned, I think of this speech that was given at a graduation ceremony:

Wear Sunscreen
By Mary Schmich of the Chicago Tribune

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '98: Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blind side you at 4 PM on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium.

Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #4 - 04/04/18 at 06:00:15

I'll be 74 next month ... been "retired" for a few years now.

I'm a recovering alcoholic and never was able to keep a job long enough to acquire pension rights but did manage to save some money.
So I'm on Canada Pension and so is the wife. We manage to live quite well.

Retirement gave me the ability to attend & chair a few AA meetings in the area and my days mostly revolve around recovery thoughts/actions.

I was a dead man walking in July 1989, often spent nights with a pistol to my head and a beer in my hand.
Today is April 4 2018 and life is good  Wink
I'm off to chair the Wednesday morning meeting right now.

Things change and I need page 417 of the AA Big Book more today than ever.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/12-step-recovery/3eNzMv2tNuc/8GMJaCSv6DsJ

You'll be fine, Dawg.
Let it happen

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 04/04/18 at 09:24:31

I am only 3 months into my "semi-retirement" job....and life is far less stressful now.  I find myself much more relaxed on my drives to/from work, I am not in a constant hustle to get things done at home or at work, and I find that I am much better at actually relaxing when my wife and I go do something fun.

This is wonderful to hear Dave....THANK YOU, that is exactly my hope!

The rest of the thread/reply,  from the graduation, is just PERFECT!  Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 04/04/18 at 09:43:07

Papa Bear...bless your heart good Sir!

If the world had more of you.
Sad to say, too much pride for guys especially, to share with others ( I didn't  say "teach") their missteps and selfishness of their errors in life.

A sober mind is much more than alcohol free.

It goes way deeper, to our soul, or being, the very core.
Where fear has roosted, and festered, to a point that they still believe in boogeymen.
Yet (they) would never admit to their own actions, of allowing its grip to dictate the terms, upon how they live their lives......

The principals of any 12 step program is a cure, but as you know my friend, they must want it.
Lots, and lots of folks live in a world of pretending, like a Hollywood movie, except most of them end with a few hours....
Our lives go on for decades.

Thank you kind Sir, be well, dang, you don't sound that old!  Grin

BTW, I am heartened to see your governance has amply provided for its citizens, as it should.
Maybe someday your neighbors might come to understand you needn't be a enabler, to "fix" them, no, but offer the right tools, and opportunities, for them to provide for themselves!  WELL DONE!  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 18:16:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › What you gonna use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.