Send Topic Print
floorboard pics? (Read 123 times)
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

floorboard pics?
04/03/18 at 13:31:34

I did a search but couldn't find any pics of members with floorboards on their bikes.  I'm presently trying to mount a set of passenger floorboards from an 85 gl1200 in a forward and lowered position on my bike.  Just trying to find that perfectly comfortable spot for my feet.  I have a little extra height in the front now since I added some 3" longer fork tubes.  So hopefully things work out the way that I want.  Inseam is roughly 35".  I currently have horseshoes for pegs mounted on plates that are roughly 3-6" forward of stock peg.  The horse shoe gives a lot of variation in how and where you rest your feet, but it isn't the most comfortable.  Also, it doesn't fold so I'm pretty careful about not being too aggressive on corners which limits the fun a bit sometimes.  Probably better that I'm not tempted to get down that low anyway.  lol

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: floorboard pics?
Reply #1 - 04/03/18 at 16:41:13

Here is the link to some I made for my bike, simple and easy to make and they work great for me, short or long(4,000 mile) trips. Put your feet on them, lay your ankles on top of them to strech out, or put just your toes on them to block the cold air.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1493331156/0#0

Some other guys boards-

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1290745273/319#319

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1404749497/37#37

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/07/18 at 19:04:11

thank you for the pics!  I have mine mounted on 1/4" steel plates out in front of the normal control area.  They're not on the bike yet, I have to mount the posts for the shift and brake levers and the tabs on the brake side.  I'm wondering just how much weight I can hang off of those bolts that pinch the front end of the frame/engine together.  I'm going to cut as much steel from the plates as possible to get rid of excess weight, but how much weight is too much?  I'm out a good 8 inches in front of the original controls.   Will post a pic soon.

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/07/18 at 19:22:32

forward floorboards

suzuki_floorboards2.jpg
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/07/18 at 19:23:42

and one more

Suzuki_floorboards1.jpg
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 20:14:14

You look like you are getting something together fine. I would say don't trim them down till AFTER you ride with them some, then if you want to change the angle, height, or length you may still have enough material without having to start over, or worse yet put up with something that is just a LITTLE BIT ''OFF'' cause you trimmed off too much of something too early and did not want to start all over again. (I speak from experince)
Looking at what you have I would sugest a way to adjust the final angle might be nice, and if they are going to be at a upward angle a lip on the bottom to stop your feet from sliding down. But remember, the difference between making them and making them better for you is just -v1.0 and -v1.1.

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/08/18 at 06:28:06

instead of a stop for my heels, what I was planning to do was fit a standard fold up peg slightly behind and below the rear of the floorboard.  there is just enough space for it, and the mounting position would be about 3.5 inches directly beneath the stock foot peg.  I'm not sure how it will look (and that will probably be the determining factor) but if I don't like it I can always mount a heel catch on the back edge of the board.  Thanks for all your input!

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/10/18 at 16:09:01

put the boards on the bike today for fitment.  I got lucky with my angles.  They're extremely comfortable and relaxed.  I just need to make a heel stop, add the shift/brake bits and pieces and then slot the steel where I can to make things a bit lighter.  I'm very happy with the way things are turning out so far.

suzuki_floorboards_3.jpg
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/11/18 at 07:28:05

I drilled out a few extra plates (for future use and or to use as a template) while I was starting the current forward floorboard project.  Considering a second set of more traditionally mounted boards, lowered 4" and not forward as much.  That should eliminate the need for the angle that I put on the first set.  However, with lowering the boards comes the need to lower linkages.  Has anyone ever tried to make an angled (flat) slide type linkage for the savage?  I'm more concerned with the shift linkage.  I think I can manage the brake side.

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/14/18 at 11:12:34

This is where I am now.  Does anyone have a way to measure the position for the forward hole in the shift side control that is for the single short bolt other than assembling to take the measurement?

suzuki_floorboards5.jpg
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/14/18 at 11:13:31

and the other side

suzuki_floorboards_4.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:21:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › floorboard pics?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.