Send Topic Print
Yamaha SR400 (Read 123 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yamaha SR400
03/29/18 at 12:36:50

Does anyone own one of these? What is your impression?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Yamaha SR400
Reply #1 - 03/29/18 at 16:56:47

The cam has real bearings w/balls .  Grin

The 400 weighs more than the S-40 , but may have just as much power ?  Huh

Chain drive ...  Sad

« Last Edit: 03/29/18 at 19:30:01 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/01/18 at 15:01:03

I think it's a really good looking bike (I like the retro look), but I've never met anyone that owned one. I do know a local dealer has 4 new 2016s for $4999 each. Not a big seller in our parts, I guess. I did own a Yam XT225, air cooled dual sport single, 6 speed. Very fast and light. Would easily go 70 mph, top out at 84, but was very unstable at that speed, due to weight and (lack of) aerodynamics. I've always liked the Yamaha motors, very smooth and powerful.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/01/18 at 20:35:45

The Savage has one advantage over most other bikes, parts availability .I don't know how true it is but I've heard Yamaha doesn't stock parts for bikes over ten years old (could be BS ),if I'm wrong ,please let me know ,I've never owned one.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/01/18 at 23:09:13

It is true.   10 years and all old parts get discontinued and what stocks exist on hand are it.

People who put old Yamaha this and that back into motion are scroungers and board repairers par excellence.

My XV535 Virago and the list that supported it actually mourned the passing of the old dude that de-potted and electrically repaired hundreds of Yamaha electronic control modules over the years, he did it as a labor of love and a gift to Yamaha loyalists who would not let the old Yammie iron die.

We are very fortunate that our bike is still in production.

« Last Edit: 04/02/18 at 05:59:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/02/18 at 06:57:08

Here is a road test.....others an be found on Google.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/26/2015-yamaha-sr400-motorcycle-review-fir...

It is 24HP and 21 ft/lbs. of torque.....and for rural roads and around town it will do great - but speeds above 60 mph are making the bike work and it gets buzzy.  It will be a good bike for commuting if you can ride rural roads or city streets - but not on expressways where folks go 70mph or more.  Also it is not going to be a sport touring or touring bike - but will do great for local rides and may even be fine for trips that keep you on the local roads....and you can get by with a minimal amount of luggage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/02/18 at 10:11:50

Dave wrote on 04/02/18 at 06:57:08:
It is 24HP and 21 ft/lbs. of torque.....and for rural roads and around town it will do great - but speeds above 60 mph are making the bike work and it gets buzzy.  It will be a good bike for commuting if you can ride rural roads or city streets - but not on expressways where folks go 70mph or more.  Also it is not going to be a sport touring or touring bike - but will do great for local rides and may even be fine for trips that keep you on the local roads....and you can get by with a minimal amount of luggage.

In some of the countries I have been in you would have Dad, Mom, the Baby and a load of laundry on this thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:16:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Yamaha SR400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.