Stock market...... (Read 120 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Stock market......
03/26/18 at 15:01:42

Dang, it’s like watching a horse race.....

I think my heart will give out before my stakes  Grin

Anybody else playing this game?

I should just not look, Yeah, tell me, who doesn’t look after being stuck for 20 minuets in traffic, at the cause when you pass the smashed cars on the highway  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Stock market......
Reply #1 - 03/26/18 at 15:31:12

I never look.  When my guy tells me how we are doing, I'm pleasantly surprised.  When I don't hear anything, I figure i'll be disappointed and I don't ask.   Wink

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 03/26/18 at 16:40:58

ohiomoto wrote on 03/26/18 at 15:31:12:
I never look.  When my guy tells me how we are doing, I'm pleasantly surprised.  When I don't hear anything, I figure i'll be disappointed and I don't ask.   Wink

Ok, but do you look at the car crash?  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/27/18 at 10:01:36

I can't help but look. Though I really shouldn't. I'm sure it elevates my blood pressure.

Can you say V O L A T I L I T Y !!!!  Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 03/27/18 at 10:35:03

springman wrote on 03/27/18 at 10:01:36:
I can't help but look. Though I really shouldn't. I'm sure it elevates my blood pressure.

Can you say V O L A T I L I T Y !!!!  Shocked

Yeah crazy.....

I just boil it all down once the heat is turned off.
If it swings a few points, up, or down, after all that action, it’s right we’re it was suppose to be all along.

Sorta like Dorothy....
She didn’t need to go to Oz afterall  Grin

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/27/18 at 16:57:03

I got in to buy and hold around 1980, and its had its ups and downs. Overall, it has been real good. This is just a knee jerk reaction to some political BS. Buy quality and you'll never lose.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 03/27/18 at 17:36:19

Yeah, you hold for any time and more often than not, you will beat any savings account.
I’m 65, been holding my max, 30% pretax since 59 1/2 out of my paycheck and going into my investments, so I save on present tax deferral.
Just trying to figure if I want to draw on it, or not, when I retire.
Most likely I will keep working part time after I retire from my present employment at Boeing.
My old position on the island, in construction is wanting me to come back and at my pace, maybe 3 days a week.
I could just extend my social security out more, build that up, and then in 3 years, when my wife hits 65, I will quit in total with her and travel.

I will need to do more research, as this opportunity just came to me today over lunch.
I’m liking it tho.... Grin

1980, eh, you got a few dips in that run, but great growth if you didn’t touch anything  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/28/18 at 02:30:12

When I got my first job out of college, I bought an IRA for $1,000 in 1983.  That IRA has never had any money added to it - it has just been growing for the last 35 years......and it is now over $20,000!

Pretty cool to think my $1,000 investment can buy me a  new car.......or a 4 week stay in a nursing home!   Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 03/28/18 at 04:31:55

Prob a good time to invest in stocks that pay a serious dividend. The crazy growth period after the '16 election seems to have flattened. A lot of stocks doing 4-8% dividend. Not much growth, just a reliable dividend. Do a DRIP as long as you can, then use it for income when you retire.
Use the '72 rule'. Take 72 and divide it by the dividend and that is how many years it'll take to double. So, a 7.2% return takes 10 years to double. And another 10 to double again.
For a long time Americans had a negative savings rate. They spent more than they made. Nice to hear not everyone is like that.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #9 - 03/28/18 at 05:34:55

I followed the advice in the book "The wealthy barber".  
It worked well for me.
I learned to live comfortably beneath my means  Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 03/28/18 at 09:17:05

Papa Bear wrote on 03/28/18 at 05:34:55:
I followed the advice in the book "The wealthy barber".  
It worked well for me.

Always, not sure why folks spending more out, than what is coming in, makes sense to them.
I'd like to see how that mindset provides sustainability....maybe not  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/29/18 at 03:00:49

raydawg wrote on 03/28/18 at 09:17:05:
Papa Bear wrote on 03/28/18 at 05:34:55:

Always, not sure why folks spending more out, than what is coming in, makes sense to them.

The "more out than comes in" only works for the State of CA and the Federal Government..........but for some reason they don't see that it doesn't work well for them either. Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 03/29/18 at 07:20:43

Careful.....
I might have to alert a mod to move this if folks don’t heed the consideration of no religion or politics at the dinner table  Grin

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 03/29/18 at 08:06:06

I have another question....

How much cash does anybody keep on hand?
I have been told a years worth is plenty.
You figure out how much you need to live on, so you needn’t pull any out of the game, leaving the money in to recoup any loses.

Have any of you heard this before?
I generally keep 3 months at hand, but like this reasoning of recovering any loss.
Also, would you count social security and pension as cash?

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/29/18 at 08:07:23

The ups and downs are part of the game. Perhaps Ray you are in something too risky. It is not for everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 03:24:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stock market......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.