Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cams: Stage 1 vs Stage2 vs Srage 3 (Read 680 times)
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Re: Cams: Stage 1 vs Stage2 vs Srage 3
Reply #15 - 03/26/18 at 09:46:56

So what years of DR cams will fit ?  Is it a simple swap ?

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #16 - 03/26/18 at 09:53:14

hotrod wrote on 03/26/18 at 09:46:56:
So what years of DR cams will fit ?  Is it a simple swap ?

’90 to ’95. Bolts right up with the Savage sprocket. DR sprocket is different.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #17 - 03/26/18 at 10:10:33

Thanks kojones.

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #18 - 03/26/18 at 10:49:16

That camshaft you linked to on partzilla works? It’s about half the price of the stage three.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 03/26/18 at 11:00:39

The valve lift of .345 is outrageous for the savage ,as a general rule valve lift  should only be about 25% of the valve's diameter, which creates a space equal to the size of the intake port at the valve seat (- the valve stem) , an opening larger ,wont create much more flow due to the( velocity ) inertia of the fuel mix dropping to fast as the piston moves up to TDC on the compression stroke. The extra fuel you think you might be sending in will simply stop , or be pushed back into the intake port as the piston rises. The valve lift of .355 for the exhaust is also bad has it makes wavy tuning impossible .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
won in a photo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona City, Arizona
Reply #20 - 03/26/18 at 11:27:15

the Lancer stage 3 cam makes the bike fun to ride. I've had one in  for 3 months with no problems.

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #21 - 03/26/18 at 11:33:22

I just ordered one earlier today as well. I’m looking forward to getting it in. I have a 94 mm Wiseco sitting here also.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #22 - 03/26/18 at 12:16:22

batman wrote on 03/26/18 at 11:00:39:
The valve lift of .345 is outrageous for the savage ,as a general rule valve lift  should only be about 25% of the valve's diameter, which creates a space equal to the size of the intake port at the valve seat (- the valve stem) , an opening larger ,wont create much more flow due to the( velocity ) inertia of the fuel mix dropping to fast as the piston moves up to TDC on the compression stroke. The extra fuel you think you might be sending in will simply stop , or be pushed back into the intake port as the piston rises. The valve lift of .355 for the exhaust is also bad has it makes wavy tuning impossible .

Okay, that does sound logical. But there is more to it than that. The DR uses the same valves as the LS, so why doesn't that hurt the performance of the DR engine? Wouldn't that destroy the wave tuning of the DR just as much?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/26/18 at 18:10:02

I don't know about the wave tuning - but I do believe the exhaust port would not allow any great benefit from lifting the valve up a bunch more than the Stage 3 cam.

The exhaust port is still restrictive....no matter how far you lift the valve.  (And more lift creates more wear on the guides/valve stems, and creates more stress and wear on the cam and rockers).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 03/26/18 at 23:08:36

I agree with Dave , and there are other differences in the motors ,bore and stroke for sure , that would  change redline ,and  maybe exhaust header length ( that would  effect wavy tuning). I'm not a student of the DR650 , but we know the head design is much better ,doesn't the DR put out about 45-50 horsepower? Lancer's  stage 3 cam is designed to work in the Savage the lift is .274 just a bit higher than the stock .254 and this follows what I said above ,it is just slightly more than stock, and is designed to lift higher only to compensate for the area that the valve stems take up in the intake and exhaust ports , showing the makers knew what they were doing. The bike shown above is using a 40mm carb , yet Dave and others use only a 36mm carb to obtain nearly the performance /horsepower claimed of the DR cam ,I would think with smoother running an less problems tuning. So the question is do you want to save a couple of bucks and try the DR cam hoping it will work ,or buy a stage 3  from Lancer knowing it will work ? With the DR cam I would bet mileage to be poor ,the fuel leaving the exhaust pipe unburned ,because the slow speed it is traveling into the head it fails to atomize (swirl) and doesn't burn.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 03/27/18 at 02:42:16

The reason the LS650 cannot use the DR cam effectively is  because of the exhaust ports.  The DR has beautiful straight ports that allow the gases to exit very rapidly, while the LS is stuck in a crooked world made by Suzuki.  They were both made at the same time,  one made to perform and the other one NOT.  It was purposeful, plain and simple.  They detuned the LS by making the exhaust port restrictive.
Why ? ?
Only one reason I can think of, they wanted the DR to be their racing engine for the dirt and did not want the LS to interfere with that.
Doesn't make since to me either, why not just use the DR engine in both the dirt DR and the street LS ?
Beats the heck out of me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/27/18 at 04:00:30

Stock is .254"/,244" with 224 degrees@ .050.
Stage 1 is .264"/.264" with 239 degress @ .050.
Stage 3 is .273"/.273" and 238 degrees @ .050.
DR is .345"/.355" with 238 degrees @ .040.

I thought a bit last night about my riding style, and my current engine setup.  I am currently running the Stage 1 in my engine, and I have been doing that for the last 10,000 miles.  The engine starts and runs great, I generally get around 52 - 56 mpg, and the bike has been up to a 100.1 mph on 3 separate tries as confirmed by my GPS speedometer......the bike just doesn't want to go any faster than that and the bike gets really light and wiggly once I get over 95mph.

The majority of my riding is done at speeds under 60mph as I ride the local twisty backroads, and I am riding at less than 1/2 throttle most of the time.....and I suspect I am at 1/4 throttle or less  as I negotiate the curves.  I don't accelerate much on the straights between curves - I try to hold 50mph on the straights and in the curves and hold a steady speed and corner smoothly.  The excitement comes from the fact that the curves are often very tight and it may not be possible to take all the curves at 50mph.

So......my riding style really doesn't need  lot of additional HP or valve lift for 95% of my ride.  The bike runs very well, and I have plenty of HP to pass the slow cars and trucks and tractors, and the bike and tall gearing make it possible to cruise at 70-75mph easily with engine rpm around 4,000.

I do need to replace the head plug on my bike....the Versy plug was not yet available when I built this engine, and last summer I had a leak at the first day of the Kick Stand Lodge trip - luckily the plug decided to stop leaking and I was able to ride the rest of the summer.  I may put in a Stage 3 cams to see how it compares to the Stage 1 cam.    

So.....the reason for this long winded post - is that you may not need or want a DR650 cam and the high lift it provides.  The Stage 1 cam provides a power boost....and likely the Stage 3 is even better.  Lancer has tried all three of the grinds....and has determined that the Stage 3 is a better cam than either the Stage 1 and Stage 2 - so currently he is only getting the Stage 3 cams made.

« Last Edit: 03/27/18 at 05:51:51 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #27 - 03/27/18 at 06:06:03

Fast 650 wrote on 03/25/18 at 12:41:29:
I don't have the exact opening/closing specs for the DR cam, but the duration is essentially the same as the stage 3 cam, just more lift.
Stock is .254"/,244" with 224 degrees@ .050.
Stage 3 is .273"/.273" and 238 degrees @ .050.
DR is .345"/.355" with 238 degrees @ .040.

I've been wondering how these can be compared as they're measured at different spots of rotation. Anyone now how this affects the numbers?

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #28 - 03/27/18 at 06:07:53

I've only found this:

The rpm at which the engine gets "happy" can be predicted by the closing point (angle) of the intake valves. The angle is expressed as the number of degrees After Bottom Dead Center (ABDC) that the valves reach .053" from being fully seated.

30 degrees = 2400 rpm
35 degrees = 3000 rpm
40 degrees = 3600 rpm
45 degrees = 4000 rpm
50+ degrees = 4500 rpm

These relationships are approximate but should hold true to within 200 rpm or so. They also assume that all other tuning factors, exhaust, ignition, etc., are operating correctly.

If you have one of the late-closing cam designs installed, say one that closes the intake valves later than 40 degrees, then you cannot expect excellent performance at 2000 rpm. No carburetor adjustment, ignition adjustment or exhaust system can change this.

LS650 stock
Int Open 22 BTDC
Int Close 59 ABDC
Exh Open 64 BBDC
Exh Close 14 ATDC
Lift: 0.254" In / 0.244" Ex
Duration: 224° @ 0.050" lift

DR650
Int Open 9.5 BTDC
Int Close 47.5 ABDC
Exh Open 51.5 BBDC
Exh Close 9.5 ATDC
Lift: 0.364" In / 0.367" Ex
Duration: 237° @ 0.040" lift

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #29 - 03/27/18 at 07:18:54

batman wrote on 03/26/18 at 23:08:36:
With the DR cam I would bet mileage to be poor ,the fuel leaving the exhaust pipe unburned ,because the slow speed it is traveling into the head it fails to atomize (swirl) and doesn't burn.

During the first two tanks with the DR cam I got 58 mpg, after that it's been around 45 mpg. And that was because of the break-in period with the Wiseco and with a stock carb.

Now the bike has a VM36 with a UFO, really waiting for summer  Cheesy

And I would really try to like the Stage 3 cam, but unfortunately it is way too expensive. I'm cheap.  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 00:45:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cams: Stage 1 vs Stage2 vs Srage 3

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.