Hartman Mod to Exhaust (Read 100 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Hartman Mod to Exhaust
03/25/18 at 02:03:37

I have reviewed several papers on the Hartman mod to the stock LS650 muffler.  I like the idea of having a good flowing muffler that doesn't break the sound barrier.  While 96Db is pretty loud it is far quieter than 101Db.  I also think it's really cool to have a stock looking sleeper rod.  Have any of you Savage Beasts performed the Hartman mod?  What is your seat of the pants estimate on noise level?  Does it wake the dead or just pat them softly and ask them to roll over?  Any gut feeling on extra steam at the throttle?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Hartman Mod to Exhaust
Reply #1 - 03/25/18 at 06:05:56

You are not going to gain much of anything with the stock muffler, modified or not.  Your best bang for the buck is an HD take-off from a Dyna or Sportster.  The sound good and the work really well with this engine, and they are plentiful and cheap.
After install all that is needed is to jet & tune the carb.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 03/25/18 at 10:05:49

Not to mention the considerable weight loss by tossing the stock exhaust system, using a Harley muffler, and making a new head pipe with single wall pipe. The factory system is a lot heavier than it looks.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/25/18 at 12:17:29

Thanks much for the advice.  I bought a 2016 LS650 to use as a project.  It is currently bone stock (even has the brass plug over idle mixture screw).  Years ago I had an old 4 speed savage.  I was not fond of the noise level when I installed a Jardine muffler, and really couldn't notice any appreciable increase in power (even after playing with the jetting).  My project's goal is to make a stock appearing LS650 significantly more powerful.  I intend to have it dyno tested prior to start and then at various stages.  I will keep you posted on my progress.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/26/18 at 03:23:10

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/25/18 at 12:17:29:
 Years ago I had an old 4 speed savage.  I was not fond of the noise level when I installed a Jardine muffler, and really couldn't notice any appreciable increase in power (even after playing with the jetting).

The Jardine should not be allowed to use "muffler" in their description....they should be called Jardine Noise Makers.

There are muffler options that are much better at allowing better flow without excessive noise.  The used Harley DYNA is the cheapest and not all that difficult to find a good one on eBay.  The EMGO short cone is available on eBay or from RYCA - it is a horrendous noisemaker unless you buy the insert that RYCA makes.  The Supertrapp is nice, a bit expensive, and a tad bit louder than I like.....but it is not excessively loud.  Cone Engineering makes some Quiet Core mufflers that are well built and can be adapted to the Savage.  

You might even be able to adapt something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650-exhaust-muffler-silencer/173224182001?h...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/26/18 at 07:18:56

Jardine and Dyna aren't anything alike.
That chrome trash can Suzuki stuck on is ugly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 14:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hartman Mod to Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.