Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
possible cafe frankenbike... (Read 87 times)
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

possible cafe frankenbike...
03/23/18 at 22:37:31

I started looking at bike projects here that some of the members have completed and it got me thinking about the 1975 xl 350 that is currently not running, only has 3000 or so miles on it total and except for the rust inside the gas tank and needing the carb cleaned and clutch replaced (or just freed up) is in really good shape (other than not being started in 5 years or so).  Years ago I took the original fenders off and replaced them with street bike fenders (80's gs fenders if I remember correctly).  I was never a fan of the 6 volt system that bike operated with, but I'm very comfortable playing around with the electrical system on a savage.  What I'm wondering is this- how difficult would it be to swap in a savage/ls650/s40 engine in place of the original 350 single?  Possible clearance issues aside (height, width, etc) is fabbing  my own motor mounts a reasonable proposition?  I think that the more standard style frame might lend its self to a cafe/brat sort of build in ways that the savage frame wouldn't.  I'm really just brainstorming here, so if anyone has any ideas pro or con I'd like to hear them.

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: possible cafe frankenbike...
Reply #1 - 03/24/18 at 00:04:05

now that I look at it again, it would probably take come considerable modification of the frame...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/24/18 at 12:48:16

If you have welding skills, anything is possible. If you don't, it's only possible with money.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/24/18 at 14:01:17

lol.  at present I lack both the skills and the money.  I have plenty of ideas about how it could potentially be done though.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 03/24/18 at 16:11:04

Hey Chip,
I had a '79 XL250 for years. Loved the bike except the pathetic front brake. Did a big bore kit and ported head (both Honda factory accessories!), as well as a round slide Mikuni. Tons of fun!
As for the pathetic electrics, someone turned me on to a funny idea. The bike basically had three electrical systems. Part of the magneto went directly to the ignition. Another part went to the lighting. Funny thing was that the alternator didn't know if it was 6 or 12 volt. All I had to do was run a simple 12V voltage regulator for the headlight, and Voila! 12V quartz Halogen headlight. So, the headlight was running on AC current.
The bike never had a battery (PO removed it and the battery box). I think I ran a one piece regulator/rectifier to power the tail light and idiot lights. So that part of the bike ran on 12V DC.
The reason for all that weirdness was that some law in some country specified that a tail light had to be on even if the engine wasn't running. Hence the tail light being tied into the battery/charging system. The headlight only worked when the bike was running.
These are 38 year old memories, but I'm pretty sure it's all correct.
Look at the wiring diagram and see if the headlight comes directly off the battery. And if there is a regulator in the system.
If the headlight is running off the alternator with no regulator, remove the headlight and put an AC voltmeter to where the HL connector. Rev up the bike and check the voltage. Should be a lot of volts in a hurry. The headlight was actually the load resistor.
Not sure if this helps, but having a real headlight on a bike is a nice thing  Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/18 at 20:18:16

that was actually one of my biggest problems with the xl.  lol.  now I'm going to have to rethink things.  It's sitting in my parents barn in Michigan til I make it back there again though.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 03/25/18 at 07:19:41

I had an entire headlight bucket assembly from an R65 BMW and used that on the bike. I think the light assembly was worth more than the whole rest of the bike  Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:12:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › possible cafe frankenbike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.