Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing spacer on drive spline- need help (Read 148 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing spacer on drive spline- need help
03/22/18 at 11:36:47

I'm trying to replace the oil seals on the main drive shaft.  I'm stumped by how to pull that spacer you see on the spline.  Parts diagrams show it to be smooth OD but it does not want pull out and I can't seem to get a grip on it.  I have new parts for both the o-ring that's hidden under the spacer and the larger seal that you can see.  I'm so far resisting the urge to dig out the larger seal as I don't want to damage the spacer or crank case.

Help!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing spacer on drive spline- need help
Reply #1 - 03/22/18 at 16:13:10

I finally used brute force to pry the OD seal out to get better access to the spacer.  It still put up more a fight than I expected to get it out of there.  What I probably could have benefited from is a shot of lube on the ID of the spacer and a little twisting action as I pulled on.  I found the drive shaft outside the o-ring was a little corroded and I'm guessing caused the o-ring to want to roll up rather than slide off because the spacer kept wanting to return to where it started when I pried on it.  The shaft and spacer OD all polished up to grade 2000 on all seal surfaces and back together with new o-ring and OD seal.

IP Logged
josesito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/22/18 at 16:30:57

Was your seal leaking oil?

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/23/18 at 02:44:58

Yes.  The picture above I have already partially cleaned up the grime.  When I first inspected the area there was a fresh drip coming probably coming from the OD seal and wet oil sprayed all over in the around the drive pulley.  The spacer collar was a little rough where the OD seal makes contact so I think it failed there.  I've seen that same roughness before on cars/trucks where the seal has failed and had luck fixing ity by polishing it out and replacing the seal.  If it fails again I'll have to replace the collar and OD seal.  Now that's it's been fully dis-assembled doing it again should be a breeze.

IP Logged
josesito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/23/18 at 10:48:34

This is my motor, I recently bought a 1997 suzuki that had no parts replaced in all these years. That is why im asking.

I bought the generator gasket thinking it should be the issue of all this grime. But im thinking its also a problem like yours.

d-min.jpg
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/23/18 at 12:20:08

That's pretty much what mine looked like too except there was a tell tale drip near the bottom retainer bolts that I wiped off before taking this picture, you can see where I smeared it.

There are a lot of guys with more experience on this bike than me that could maybe comment how common this is.  It will be a few weeks at least before I'll know if I fixed it or not.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/23/18 at 12:26:03

sandmanred wrote on 03/23/18 at 12:20:08:
It will be a few weeks at least before I'll know if I fixed it or not.

Is that a finish time line? It's like I'm 8 years old waiting for Christmas...and it's still Halloween. Or is it Thanksgiving?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/23/18 at 15:43:58

Next time, use an ice pick, put three holes in the middle of the backbone of the seal, screw in each hole, and give them a yank. A slide hammer is a handy tool. The screw is in it, just twist in, bump, bump, next hole, bump, repeat as needed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/23/18 at 18:02:53

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/23/18 at 12:26:03:
sandmanred wrote on 03/23/18 at 12:20:08:
It will be a few weeks at least before I'll know if I fixed it or not.

Is that a finish time line? It's like I'm 8 years old waiting for Christmas...and it's still Halloween. Or is it Thanksgiving?

Going as fast as can  Smiley  I'm hoping it's not more than that but you never know what you will run up against

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/24/18 at 16:47:27

Sandmanred:

It looks like your seal retainer is broken on the bottom.

What would have caused that.....the darn thing is pretty well protected behind the pulley?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/24/18 at 17:02:19

Turned up the brightness
And
Shazzam,, that's busted...
Did someone hit the clutch side with a big hammer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/26/18 at 04:35:27

Retainer is intact, it just looked broken because of the way the grime collected on it.  I must have had a pretty good stream coming down under the pulley from time to time.  I found tiny oils spots all over me one time and that leak is a plausible source.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/12/18 at 03:26:01

FWIW replacing these seals took care of the leak.  I think my struggle to remove the spacer was that the o-ring was dried/rusted to the shaft and I was pulling straight out.  If I had done any kind of a twist or shot a little WD-40 in there it would have come right off like it should.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 11:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing spacer on drive spline- need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.