Send Topic Print
is a rejet necessary? (Read 63 times)
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

is a rejet necessary?
03/22/18 at 06:45:22

I haven't done any mods to the carb, but I did get rid of the airbox and snorkel so I could move/hide the battery.  I replaced the original filter with the RYCA cone filter and silicone elbow.  There's a bit less surface area on the RYCA filter but air passes through it easily.  I've started and run the bike a few times with no noticeable change other than the backfire on shut off has softened to about half the noise level that it was originally.  So  IS the rejetting really needed?  Carb work is something that I've rarely attempted and I'm a little apprehensive about it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: is a rejet necessary?
Reply #1 - 03/22/18 at 07:27:23

You are the only one that can answer that question....not all bikes run the same and require the same jetting - and the elevation where you ride has as much effect on the jetting as changes to the intake/exhaust do.

If the bike idles well, accelerates smoothly at moderate throttle settings and doesn't have any surging - you might be just fine.

(It wouldn't hurt for you to let us know what elevation you live and ride at.)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/22/18 at 08:12:03

presently I'm at about 1000 feet.  I'll be headed out for another slightly longer test ride in a little while.

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/22/18 at 08:28:28

this is what she looks like at present.  Well, almost.  I tried a cone filter from Dennis Kirk that was supposed to fit but didn't.  This was just before I switched to the Ryca filter and elbow.

suzy_2018.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/22/18 at 09:21:53

We jet for throttle response. If you have smooth, linear response throughout the entire throttle usage (rolling on the throttle from idle to wide open throttle and letting rev out while in 2nd or 3rd gear) then you're good. If the bike falls on its face during this process, or if you have surging at part throttle, then you need to rejet.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/22/18 at 10:34:09

The bike has always surged a little when cold.  That hasn't changed.  I did notice two or three little pops on deceleration (one soft pop two or three separate times), but that would occasionally happen when she was bone stock too.   Most of my ride was stoplight to stoplight first through third.  I did take her out and open her up through 5th and up to 60 on the speedo.  Felt good, and sounded much better than normal.  Not sure why the stock muffler sounded more rumbly and less squeaky, but it had a noticeable bigger bike sound.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/23/18 at 04:02:40

Chip 2010 wrote on 03/22/18 at 10:34:09:
The bike has always surged a little when cold.  

That is normal for a bike with a carb......there is always a short time when the choke makes the mixture too rich - and it is a bit lean with the choke turned off.

Deceleration pops are also normal.....when you close the throttle the mixture goes lean....and you can get pops/burbles/blats.  Don't close the throttle completely and you can make the noise go away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 21:40:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › is a rejet necessary?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.