It makes sense..... (Read 51 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
It makes sense.....
03/21/18 at 20:01:24

I know I would be ok with being used to test the possibilities of a cure, or new drug, knowing I am terminal anyway.
Seems the right thing to do, streamlining and real results will be available sooner.
Not sure why anybody would oppose such a bill?

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/03/21/drugs-right-to-try-congress-434677

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: It makes sense.....
Reply #1 - 03/22/18 at 16:37:42

Oh.... you'd rather talk about Stormy, I see ......nice.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 03/22/18 at 17:38:52

I don't know enough about drugs, medicine or the FDA to have an educated opinion.

"The House of Representatives passed on party lines Wednesday evening a bill designed to let very sick patients request access to experimental medicines without government oversight.
"

Sounds reasonable. Especially to someone with libertarian tendencies like myself.

However:

"Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.), ranking member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said right-to-try doesn’t address the true barrier facing patients requesting experimental drugs — resistance from drug companies — and thus offers patients little more than "false hope."

The fact is when a patient is denied access to an experiential treatment, it is because a company has said no, not the FDA."

True? Or not ?

I've got no idea.

Terminal patients that have the means to do so very often travel outside the US for access to experimental treatments that they can't get access to here. In all of the cases I'm aware of; involving high profile folks - celebrities of one sort or another, the experimental, and expensive, treatments didn't work. Which maybe indicates that even being at death's door doesn't necessarily make you immune from being taken advantage of.

I have a vision of a law firm suing the sh*t  out of some big drug company - on behalf of a dying patient looking for a last glimmer of hope of course - and earning millions for it's trouble from a settlement long after the poor bast*rd croaks.

But I'm just a cynical old coot.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 03/22/18 at 19:01:16

Another shark (lawyer) feeding frenzy, like the Russia investigation. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/22/18 at 22:16:00

Sounds reasonable. Especially to someone with libertarian tendencies like myself.

Haven't even heard of a treatment for libertarianism.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/23/18 at 04:46:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/18 at 22:16:00:

Haven't even heard of a treatment for libertarianism.

It's genetic, probably.
And very likely incurable.

Doesn't really matter though.
We are all terminal eventually.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/23/18 at 05:03:05

"The fact is when a patient is denied access to an experiential treatment, it is because a company has said no, not the FDA."

This is not absolute, but is most common.  Many companies won't release experimental treatment that the FDA has no restriction on.  In many cases its about legal issues, or potential legal issues.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/23/18 at 08:37:40

When they ALLOW someone who IS DYING to Take a Chance
They're acting reasonably. I've wondered for years why someone who is DYING and Nobody has an answer, Why can't they Try whatever they want?
It's THEIR impending death, after all.
As for the legal issues for the pharmaceutical companies, since Everybody KNOWS it's
Unproven, untried, experimental,
There is no reasonable expectation for it to work out. It's a hope and pray moment. Waivers signed.
No way anyone can sue.
It'd be ridiculous to even try.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 03/23/18 at 08:44:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/18 at 08:37:40:
When they ALLOW someone who IS DYING to Take a Chance
They're acting reasonably. I've wondered for years why someone who is DYING and Nobody has an answer, Why can't they Try whatever they want?
It's THEIR impending death, after all.
As for the legal issues for the pharmaceutical companies, since Everybody KNOWS it's
Unproven, untried, experimental,
There is no reasonable expectation for it to work out. It's a hope and pray moment. Waivers signed.
No way anyone can sue.
It'd be ridiculous to even try.

The typical straw man argument ......

Its all about money, they can really hump up the price having to jump through the FDA process.
Say it cost the pharms a dollar in all actuality, they can claim it cost 100 times that, and pass it on.
Not only that it removes the middleman, who really scores on the mark up of meds!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/23/18 at 09:41:36

Quote:
“The fact is when a patient is denied access to an experiential treatment, it is because a company has said no, not the FDA. So let's be clear about what this legislation is. It's an attempt to undermine the authority of the expert public health agencies charged with reviewing drugs to ensure their safety and efficacy,”

...and,.... who determines what patient is "very sick"?.... Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 03/23/18 at 10:05:32

Serowbot wrote on 03/23/18 at 09:41:36:
Quote:
“The fact is when a patient is denied access to an experiential treatment, it is because a company has said no, not the FDA. So let's be clear about what this legislation is. It's an attempt to undermine the authority of the expert public health agencies charged with reviewing drugs to ensure their safety and efficacy,”

...and,.... who determines what patient is "very sick"?.... Undecided

Dr. Jack Kevorkian

Next question?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 15:08:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › It makes sense.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.