Suzuki S40 Backfire (Read 203 times)
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Suzuki S40 Backfire
03/20/18 at 11:21:54

Hello Everyone,

This is Pratik Tailor from Clifton New Jersey, I hope everybody is doing great here.

I bought 2006 Suzuki s40 with 4000 miles on it week ago. This is my first motorcycle, It was seating in old owner's garage from a year. I brought it home and changed oil and oil filter. Wanted loud exhaust so i did installed emgo turn out muffler and its sounds great. Problem is it is giving me back firing when i de-accelerate it while riding. Also i read on forum that after changing muffler we need to re jet carb. Is there anybody here who can assist me to solve this problem or refer me any good mechanic in my area who can solve this problem and re jet carb too.

Also I am looking for riders or any group in new jersey with whom I can go on ride this summer.

Any reply, suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Suzuki S40 Backfire
Reply #1 - 03/20/18 at 12:16:14

WWW   IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/20/18 at 12:51:45

Hello,

Thank You for your reply. I got members already but as I am a new member, I am not able to send message to any members. I think I have to have 10 post to send message anybody. I don't want to submit any junk posts just increase count. So I am waiting to reply someone in this thread only.

Once again Thank You for reply.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 03/20/18 at 13:12:05

Hi Pratik,

It really is worth doing the tuning yourself. It can take a bit of time, and a lot of test riding (change jets, test ride for a day or two - or a week - change jets again, test ride again etc.).

I was completely new to motorcycles, and mechanics, about a year a go. I found tuning the carb to be a very satisfying (and exciting) experience. I also learned a lot about the bike along the way.

The key is to do lots of research first. There is a ton of information dispersed throughout this forum.

Here is a link to get you started. I think this is the best summary of carb tuning I've read on here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

I'll post some more links in this thread over the weekend - when I drop into the forum from time to time.

A couple of quick points:

1. You'll need to find out what jets are in the carb at the moment. The previous owner may have changed them

2. Is the muffler you installed an open pipe, or does it have a baffle? Open pipes present their own specific challenges for carb tuning.

3. If the muffler is open, or nearly open, you will most likely need to tend to the intake on the carb, using a more open air filter.

Oh, and welcome Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/20/18 at 14:44:50

Thank you for your reply.

Emgo pipes are nearly open. Carb should be stock because it was lady driven bike and she didn't mentioned anything about carb tuning she did. Can you suggest anything about ideal screw adjustment before re jetting carb. Do you think so it can help with back fire.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 03/20/18 at 15:51:39

I will tell you what I was told about backfiring, Don't ''snap'' the throttle off when shifting, ROLL it off some to shift but not all the way. With a little practice you can stop backfires while shifting just by changing your wrist ''programming''. After a while it will become automatic.
And you are not riding a multi cylinder bike, if you try to use heavy engine braking to slow down with a big single you WILL get backfires, some bad enough to damage your muffler's baffles. That is one of the ''blessings'' of big singles and is VERY hard to get rid of totally.
Ride more, worry less! A S-40 has a ''personalty'' and the best way to learn more about it is MORE MILES!
What do you mean guys to ride with this summer?
Local, medium distance, or long distance?
And what is a long ride for you, 100, 300, or 1000 miles?
There are a couple of rides coming up in western NC, and north GA that will be fun. And you can trailer your bike there, or close. Unless you are experienced at long rides to a campground trailering can be better as you can carry more ''stuff''.
Meantime just ride, clean, and get to know your new bike. (Cleaning is important for a new bike rider combo as you will be checking things over as you clean. Look for loose ''things'', oil leaks, marks that weren't there before, and fluid levels and tire pressures. Learn your bikes ''normal'' patterns and then something ''abnormal'' will stand out to you.)

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 03/20/18 at 16:07:43

BTW, a well tuned carb on this bike will still backfire in certain atmospheric conditions. If you tune the backfire out completely, you will likely be running rich in general.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/20/18 at 16:28:35

Late model Savages are jetted lean from the factory.
Your new muffler is gonna require you to rejet, bet on it..
It's not technically difficult. Getting the bowl off is not usually easy.
Start drizzling penetrating oil on the four screws now. And get a No Kidding, real,
JIS screwdriver. If you have a battery powered or air powered impact, that is helpful. A handheld, hammer impact is begging to break the carburetor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/20/18 at 17:01:04

Appreciate all replies here. And this is one of the best forum i have seen. All members are very active and ready to help. I am feeling glad i am junior member of this forum and i will learn a lot from you guys. And about trip this will be my first summer ride so i will prefer to be in New Jersey only for this year. And about re jet carb, i have battery powered and impect screw driver too. Its little cold here from next week temperature is going in 50s so i will go for a long ride round 200 miles and observe when it is back fiering. And looks like after installing muffler i lost power also. After that i will see videos and after that try to re jet carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/20/18 at 22:21:40

It's probably gonna blue the pipe if you don't get it running richer.
If you can feel the loss in power, it's a good bit leaner. That's not healthy for the motor

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 03/20/18 at 22:31:33

And you should post questions , in the Rubber Side Down section .You'll get quicker results that way. welcome!
   IF you post your address or tell us your elevation  above sea level , it may make it easier to recommend jet sizes, if you need help.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/21/18 at 07:09:25

Elevation for My place is 85 feet. If someone can give me instruction for get it run richer and also replacement jet size pls.

Thank You.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 03/21/18 at 07:38:08

Pratik Tailor wrote on 03/20/18 at 17:01:04:
And about re jet carb, i have battery powered and impect screw driver too.

I'm gonna strongly suggest that you put those tools away when working on a Savage, especially the carb.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/21/18 at 07:41:30

Got it Mr. Gary. May I know where you from in NJ if you don't mind?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/21/18 at 08:28:23

Start with penetrating oil applied over the course of a couple of days
Followed by the JIS screwdriver.
IF you can't get them out that way without wrecking them, then seat that electric impact firmly and give the trigger a quick flick. Don't just go wide open.
The wrong tip WILL yield the wrong results.
A #2 Phillips tip with the tip ground until it fully engages the slots in the screw will work. Operative word being
Fully.
Get a real penetrating oil, not wd40

You've gotta hold it securely and the impact has to be solidly in the screw.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 20:37:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Suzuki S40 Backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.