Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle magazines going down the tubes (Read 142 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motorcycle magazines going down the tubes
03/18/18 at 18:49:20

I got my issue of Cycle World in the mail yesterday.  New format and new price, $11 per issue!  I'm terribly disappointed, lots of large pictures so they don't need to pay anyone to write much anymore.  Hey, I sent in money and signed up for 2 or 3 years, 12 issues per year, now they say I'll get one every quarter.  Where's my refund for all the missing issues.  The biggest joke is that the editor tells us we will want to keep the newly formatted magazine for a lifetime.
The articles are very light weight and basically useless.  No more road test or comparisons of new bikes.  I spent maybe 5 minutes looking at it and then pitched it into the trash.  They don't have a section for letters to the editor probably because they didn't want to hear all the complaints.
The magazine Motorcyclist went the same way last year and they must have been inspired by that failure.  Motorcyclist made the mistake of keeping the reader feedback section and people were cancelling their subscriptions.  When Motorcyclist arrives in my mailbox I just pitch into the trash along with the junk mail. I have subscriptions for both those magazines.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Motorcycle magazines going down the tubes
Reply #1 - 03/18/18 at 22:07:41

Might have something to do with declining motorcycle sales in the US, might have something to do with less print media being read as people go on the web. Might have something to do with less advertisers willing to fund it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/19/18 at 02:57:45

I've been watching Readers Digest get smaller and smaller over the years. Price goes up. Size goes down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/19/18 at 08:27:47

Print magazines have historically been funded by ad revenue.

A YouTube comparison video can reach millions within hours of release.

Google can place a polygon over a specific event, or demographic and advertise specifically to that group and adjust ads in real time based off of views.

That right there is a big reason to drop print ads if you are selling a product.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 03/20/18 at 00:08:32

A couple of years ago I met an editor of a niche magazine (non-motorcycle). She was in charge of the online section of the mag. She told me her job had been pretty much reduced to, getting up early to find out which click-bait 'articles' were trending that day, and making sure they linked to them on their mag.

I said "That sounds a bit disheartening". She said "It is".

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/20/18 at 00:25:04

Couldn't that be done by software?

Yeah, disheartening, bummer for sure

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 03/20/18 at 00:57:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/20/18 at 00:25:04:
Couldn't that be done by software?

Yeah, disheartening, bummer for sure

Would probably cost more!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 03/21/18 at 21:21:53

I got my issue of Cycle World in the mail yesterday  

Same here .   114 pages (book) of higher quality paper .   I got mine started when they were giving-a-way those "Over night" bags with all the pockets .  
I've got three of those bags now and been getting the magazines for five or more years.   All that and I only paid them once .    Oh yea they sent bills and "one more chance" bills .   Fact is I didn't want the magazines in the first place , I wanted the Over-Night bag.   Roll Eyes
Well all the bikes they write about are those Crazy HP sport-bikes  or  those Crazy $$,$$$ rolling road blocks.

But , they do make a nice over-night bag  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/22/18 at 04:46:41

Yep, got my upgraded mag too, nice paper and photos but after thumbing through it did not see anything of interest.  Oh, and I did not see anything about the change in number of issues per year.  Maybe I need to read the section by the editor.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 03/22/18 at 12:26:12

Motorcycle Classics and Cafe Racer magazine are 2 bi-monthlies published on alternate months. Both cover all the bases I need in a bike mag.
Sadly, it looks like Cafe Racer is no longer crossing the border, so I have to. At least the gas is cheap on your side.
Alternate months mean I buy 1 mag a month, but get both mags! Such a deal!!! Cool

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/22/18 at 15:36:59

Motor Cycle Classics is also one of my favorites but I usually pick it up at the grocery store news stand when they feature a bike I am interested in.  I've heard good things about MCN, Motorcycle Consumer News, but have never seen a copy.  Has anyone given it a try?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/13/18 at 14:33:52

Seeing the post about Minnesota reminded me about this post. I get Rider magazine and I like it. The last issue had an article about the Otter Trail somewhere in Minnesota. Supposedly a bunch of twisty roads because of the lakes that are all around.

Rider magazine always has articles about places to ride, articles on different types of bikes and info on gear. Also, each mag has a 2 page article on an old or peculiar bike at the very end of the magazine (usually what I read first).

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/14/18 at 02:04:40

Unrelated to motorcycles, but, in my country a very significant thing that has got smaller is The Yellow Pages. Just the way the digital world is moving.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 04/14/18 at 08:16:19

I don't have anything to add except that I get both Motorcycle and Cycle World. I don't want to ride at 160 mph nor ride a land yacht.

Very sad! What would happen if they did a feature on our bike. Quirky and fun withhout costing an arm and a leg. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 04/14/18 at 09:07:40

My buddy Andy used to write for a few magazines,... when he wrote for RIder, I used to buy it. He was their "Tech Guru"...
I'm not really interested in the latest. greatest, biggest, fastest.
I liked articles on how to, where to, and what to.
... and classic bikes and history.

I get more of what I want on the fancy new interweb...

Magazines are going the way of video rentals, and record shops.
Times change.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:15:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle magazines going down the tubes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.