Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Photobucket extortion has eased just a bit. (Read 246 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Photobucket extortion has eased just a bit.
03/15/18 at 05:48:04

Last year Photobucket (PB) said if we wanted to keep using images here that we had stored on PB, we'd have to give them $400 for "Third Party Hosting."  Hateful extortion.

Now, apparently due to a huge wave of complaints, they have lowered their extortion level to $99.

I considered using some other service and replacing all the images (hundreds) in the Double RYCA Build thread to get back to a free situation, but jeeeeez, that would be many hours of work.

Now that they lowered their extortion level to $99 (their so-called Premium plan), I can avoid those many hours of work.  It is painful to pay it, but at that price, it is worth paying the fee and getting all the images back on the Double RYCA Build and several other threads I generated here.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Photobucket extortion has eased just a bit.
Reply #1 - 03/15/18 at 08:51:16

Hello! I don't know much about social media but how about create a Facebook page or Youtube to upload pictures and videos from now on?
I think it might be better option for long term. It is just my thought.
Have a good day everyone.  Smiley  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 03/15/18 at 08:57:24

Personally, I attach photos in forums so that they will be hosted by the forum.  That way if I fall by the wayside, the photos will still be there.

As far as PB, I don't use it, but how is it extortion for a company to charge for their services?  There are costs associated with storing your photos (which they do for free) and additional costs associated with publicly hosting those photos.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 03/15/18 at 09:22:03

Back in the 90's, a lot of people put up web pages and linked to images or articles on other sites. As the linked sites went down or restructured their content, those links were broken and soon were lost forever. If it is important then keep it all on the same site instead of linking to 3rd party sites. Otherwise, just like during the 90's, the information will be lost at some point.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 03/15/18 at 10:11:57

kylejang wrote on 03/15/18 at 08:51:16:
Hello! I don't know much about social media but how about create a Facebook page or Youtube to upload pictures and videos from now on?
I think it might be better option for long term. It is just my thought.
Have a good day everyone.  Smiley  

It is a convenience factor.  When most folks are reading through a thread on a forum like this, they usually don't feel like going somewhere else to view a pic or video.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 03/15/18 at 10:17:16

ohiomoto wrote on 03/15/18 at 08:57:24:
Personally, I attach photos in forums so that they will be hosted by the forum.  That way if I fall by the wayside, the photos will still be there.

As far as PB, I don't use it, but how is it extortion for a company to charge for their services?  There are costs associated with storing your photos (which they do for free) and additional costs associated with publicly hosting those photos.  

You can not "attach photos in forums so that they will be hosted by the forum."

" how is it extortion for a company to charge for their services? "  Because PB, for decades made a very big deal about hosting pics for everyone on the planet for free.  Trillions of pics put there by millions of people,.. all looking at the many ads on the FB site.  Had I known that eventually I would have to pay $400 a year, I would never have used it.  Most of us can't afford that kind fee.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 03/15/18 at 10:18:01

Fast 650 wrote on 03/15/18 at 09:22:03:
Back in the 90's, a lot of people put up web pages and linked to images or articles on other sites. As the linked sites went down or restructured their content, those links were broken and soon were lost forever. If it is important then keep it all on the same site instead of linking to 3rd party sites. Otherwise, just like during the 90's, the information will be lost at some point.

Valid point

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 03/15/18 at 11:10:34

If the service is free, then you are the product.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 03/15/18 at 11:18:10

I agree with Gyrobob (although I think the label "extortion" is a bit extreme).

It's definitely poor form. The company offers a free service - probably making their money from advertising on the site. They switch business models to one where the user pays for the service. However, they know that many people have invested hours upon hours in uploading images. They may even use the site as the basis for a business, such as a photographer or designer who uses the site as an online folio.

To jump from free to $400 is hefty. That decision probably relies on the assumption that people will feel they have no other option but to pay, because of what they have already invested in time.

I have no problem with their new business model, but the history in this particular instance creates a problem. They are using their 'free' service, and the popularity of it, as leverage to launch their new model. That creates ill-feeling.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 03/16/18 at 07:54:31

Gyrobob wrote on 03/15/18 at 10:17:16:

" how is it extortion for a company to charge for their services? "  Because PB, for decades made a very big deal about hosting pics for everyone on the planet for free.  Trillions of pics put there by millions of people,.. all looking at the many ads on the FB site.  Had I known that eventually I would have to pay $400 a year, I would never have used it.  Most of us can't afford that kind fee.
----------------

You are free to remove your photos from their servers and do whatever you please with them.  Hence, it's not extortion.  

And I'll just attach this photo.....
« Last Edit: 03/16/18 at 13:09:40 by ohiomoto »  

IMG_20170727_071804829_001.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 03/16/18 at 08:02:20

And post its URL for your viewing pleasure:
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/pb.jpg

Which can now be inserted in any forum as long as I don't change or delete it from the above post (or, until suzukisavage.com goes down or removes it).

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 03/16/18 at 08:05:53

ohiomoto wrote on 03/16/18 at 07:54:31:
Gyrobob wrote on 03/15/18 at 10:17:16:

----------------

You are free to remove your photos from their servers and do whatever you please with them.  Hence, it's not extortion.  

And I'll just attach this photo.....

Nice try,.. you proved my point

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 03/16/18 at 12:58:01

How so?  The photo I "attached" is now being hosted by suzukisavage.com

What exactly is your point that I just proved?

EDIT:

Oh, do you think the photobucket 3rd party warning image is from them?  Not the case, I downloaded to my computer off of the internet and then uploaded it to this site as an attachment in my previous post, and then referenced it as a (hosted) photo in the post right after.  

The URL tells you what you need to know.  For example, your screenshot is located here: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/3rd%20party%20ho... (photobucket).

I can save that and put upload it as an attachment...

bobsscreenshot.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 03/16/18 at 13:07:15

And then insert the attached image that is now being hosted here (http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/bobsscreenshot.jpg) like this...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 03/16/18 at 13:08:50

To further prove my point, (which is your point?)  I can even go back and edit what I attached to the earlier post...

The new attachment is now hosted here: http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/IMG_20170727_071804829_001.jpg

And it can be inserted here...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 02:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Photobucket extortion has eased just a bit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.