Harley and Alta Motors (Read 78 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Harley and Alta Motors
03/08/18 at 09:52:17

Harley sees the writing on the wall and is moving quickly into the future with electric bikes.  They realize the market for what they are selling is shrinking and that most of the world thinks Elon Musk is cool.  

So they have invested in Alta Motors who is building really cool electric motocross/off-road/supermoto bikes.   Their Redshit MX is nearly competitive with full-on race bikes right out of the crate.

Since I don't race MX anymore and don't love the look of supermotos, I'm partial to Alta's Redshift ST street tracker concept: https://www.altamotors.co/redshift-st/  

Way cooler than any HD IMO.

« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 13:14:06 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Harley and Alta Motors
Reply #1 - 03/08/18 at 09:54:23

Even HD's Livewire concept is cooler than anything else they build other than their race bikes.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/08/18 at 12:16:40

I'd love to see a Livewire type bike go into production.  With electric vehicles, range and charge time are the major obstacles to wide acceptance (ok, and cost). For cars it seems to be 200 miles and 8 hours (regular 220v full charge) / 30 minutes (80% capacity fast charge). For motorcycles there no real consensus, but my guess would be 150 miles and 4 hours and 30 minutes.

The current (is that a pun?) crop of bikes have a range of 60-80 miles, so I think the OEM's have a long way to go (another pun) before e-motorcycles see wide market acceptance. Much like cars, the next great battery technology needs to be invented or commercialized for this segment to see any real growth. Even more so for motorcycles as there is a weight expectation for the contraption - it's easier to hide weight in a car.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 03/08/18 at 14:49:09

Without "Harley Davidson" on the tank that bike could easily pass for Suzuki or Kawa.  The rear hugger fender is done really nice.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 03/08/18 at 16:47:26

It's to bad they didn't put a gas motor in a frame of this style, like the motor out of the  750 from India they were trying to sell ,they might have had much better sales among the newbie's.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 11/16/18 at 05:04:27

Unfortuanlty Alta has stopped production.

https://www.cycleworld.com/alta-motors-ceases-operations

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 08:13:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harley and Alta Motors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.