Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine runs with key off (Read 153 times)
JWR4
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine runs with key off
03/07/18 at 17:30:13

Have to use the engine kill switch to turn off the motor. Does this imply a failed igniter box? It's not the switch, as engine runs even with the switch un-plugged.

Thanks,

JR

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine runs with key off
Reply #1 - 03/07/18 at 20:06:36

Just started that recently?
What work has been done before that started?
Need more information than provided

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 03/08/18 at 00:05:38

It's a Café conversion? Did you move the key switch? did you do the wiring yourself ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/08/18 at 05:10:37

Does this imply a failed igniter box?

Not yet, but you better unhook it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/08/18 at 05:35:02

In your only other post you inquired about shorter cables for your RYCA Cafe conversion......so it appears you are doing a Cafe'.

If this symptom showed up after you did the wiring changes - most likely you have done something wrong in the conversion process.  I am not sure how we can help with so little knowledge of what you have changed/altered/removed/added.

Does any of the other electrical systems remain on after you turn the key off?  Does the starter, lights, turns signals, brake lights or horn still function with the key off?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 03/08/18 at 07:59:11

Justin-O -Guy2,  has raised a point , If there is power to the ignition module with the key off/or on but the bike not running, it can burn up. I'd be taking off the left side cover and unplugging it until you find the problem.

IP Logged
JWR4
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/08/18 at 08:18:28

Per the Ryca docs: Decomp solenoid removed, ignition switch extended, start in neutral relay added.

I've rechecked the IG switch extension - no crossed wires there, and the engine runs even with the switch disconnected.

All other keyswitch functions are as expected.

There are 12 volts to the coil when the engine is running - so there is a path from alternator to coil +. Reviewing the wiring schematic - one path would be through the igniter box.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 03/08/18 at 08:48:20

There should be only one path to the coil (pos.),and it should come from the kill switch, and branch off to feed the ignition module, and the starter button, but ONLY one! I don't understand your statement that power also comes from the alternator(it produces AC current) do you mean the rectifier ? It shouldn't be a source either. If it is ,that's why the bike continues to run , you've created a second supply route to the ignition not controlled by the kill switch or the key switch.( the power that goes to the ignition module ,from the kill switch does not ever go to the coil. It simply powers the module who's only connection to the coil is to interrupt flow( in the neg. lead from the coil) to the primary winding,  to create high voltage in the secondary and fire the plug. It may help post a pic. of the schematic you used.

« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 09:49:39 by batman »  

IP Logged
JWR4
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/08/18 at 11:23:44

I misspoke, I meant the rectifier. I'm using the schematic in the Chilton's manual. Oddly enough, it has a Ryca hard tail on the cover.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/08/18 at 12:03:59

Power to the TCI should come from the kill switch and should come through the ig switch.

If the TCI is powered all the time, it could result in it being fried.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 03/08/18 at 16:33:05

You don't want power coming from the rectifier ,only from the kill switch. the power from the kill switch provides spark when your starting and running the bike ,why would you need it from the rectifier? it would only provide it when the bike is running ,which is why it's still runs when you turn off the key and or the kill switch . disconnect that supply asap before it causes major damage.

IP Logged
JWR4
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/09/18 at 06:10:52

There are 12 volts to the coil when the engine is running and IG switch is off.
I'm going to ohm the switch and see if the problem is there. Lighting is controlled by a second set of contacts and that works just fine.Obviously, there is a path from +12 rectifier to the coil that is not interrupted by the IG switch. With engine off, there is no voltage at coil+.

As a test, I unplugged the neutral start relay , which had no effect on the symptoms, same as unplugging the ignition switch.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 03/09/18 at 08:44:12

First off ,unplugging components of the system with the bike running can do damage ,thus should be avoided. If your unplugging the key switch power can't be going to the coil in the normal route (key switch /kill switch) so you need to trace the coil positive back until you find the other source, and eliminate it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 03/09/18 at 21:07:32

JWR4 ,when you place the key in the switch and turn it to the park position ,does the tail light work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine runs with key off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.