How to Probe the FBI (Read 45 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
How to Probe the FBI
03/02/18 at 10:49:58

Trump is wrong. Inspector General Michael Horowitz is the man for the job.

March 1, 2018 7:18 p.m. ET

Donald Trump is rightly frustrated that so many in Washington and the media refuse to take seriously the evidence that the government abused its surveillance powers during the 2016 election. Still, let’s remember who the bad guys are in this story. Hint: not Attorney General Jeff Sessions or Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz.

Mr. Trump’s Wednesday tweetstorm included a blast at both men after news that Mr. Sessions had asked Mr. Horowitz to look into whether the Federal Bureau of Investigation went rogue when it asked the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for a warrant against ex- Trump aide Carter Page. The president complained that Mr. Horowitz will “take forever, has no prosecutorial power and [is] already late with reports on [James] Comey, etc.” He berated the inspector general as “an Obama guy” and asked why Mr. Sessions won’t use “Justice Department lawyers” to investigate “massive FISA abuse.” And then, of course: “DISGRACEFUL!”

Hardly. The Sessions request is the best—arguably the only—way to get an honest assessment of 2016 out to the public. Congressional Republicans are doing excellent work, but they face Democratic sabotage and a biased media. The Justice Department has no business investigating itself, and any finding from the Trump Justice Department would be cast as tainted. The last thing anyone should want is another special counsel, who would bring still more controversy and really would “take forever.”

No one should underestimate the power of the inspector general. Congress created these watchdogs in 1978 after the nightmare of trying to pry information out of a crooked Nixon administration. Inspectors general were deliberately placed within the executive branch and empowered to seek out information in ways that Congress can’t, even with subpoenas—including by demanding quick and comprehensive access to documents and promptly interviewing relevant officials. But inspectors general are still accountable; They go through extensive vetting before appointment and have a statutory duty to report to Congress. Most take their duty of neutrality seriously.

And no one should underestimate Mr. Horowitz’s ability to plumb the FISA case. The gripe that Mr. Horowitz is an “Obama guy” is silly. Inspectors general don’t serve set terms, and it is normal for them to span administrations. Mr. Horowitz was sworn in during the Obama presidency, but he also served under George W. Bush on the U.S. Sentencing Commission. He is so highly regarded that only a few years ago his fellow inspectors elected him chairman of the Council of Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency, which oversees standards and training.

Further, Mr. Horowitz proved willing to take on irregularities during the Obama years. In 2012, just six months on the job, he issued a scathing report on “Fast and Furious,” the gun-walking scandal. He ultimately recommended 14 officials for disciplinary action, and the report led to the resignation of a senior Obama appointee.

In 2015, he led the fight against an outrageous Obama administration legal opinion claiming inspectors general could not access agency wiretaps, grand jury testimony or credit information unless they first got permission from the agency they were inspecting. It was a naked attempt to block oversight, and Mr. Horowitz persuaded 68 of the 74 inspectors general to sign a letter of protest. He also testified in favor of the Inspector General Empowerment Act of 2016, which restored those rights. Congress passed it without dissent.

Most important, Mr. Horowitz has proved willing to work alongside congressional investigations, and appears to be a fan of transparency. If Mr. Trump were paying attention, he’d know that the only reason the public has seen the darning text messages between FBI colleagues Peter Strzok and Lisa Page is because Mr. Horowitz demanded them and did not object when Congress asked for them. And when the FBI claimed to have lost a tranche of those texts, it was Mr. Horowitz’s office that recovered them. A Horowitz probe should be no bar to Congress continuing its work, or to the declassification of the underlying documents.

Mr. Horowitz has 450 special agents, auditors, inspectors and attorneys on his staff, and he is said to be nearly done with his investigation into the FBI’s handling of the Clinton email scandal a little more than a year after he started it. He’ll have more than enough resources to delve quickly into the FISA case, in all its complexity.

True, inspectors general lack prosecutorial power. Their job is to review evidence, establish whether crimes have been committed, and make referrals for action. Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley had already asked Mr. Horowitz to investigate FISA abuse, and many in Congress are eager for the inspector general to deliver both facts and a judgment on whether there was abuse or criminal behavior.

Mr. Horowitz’s greatest asset is his neutrality. The public is reeling from narratives and counternarratives, even as it has been denied the ability to see much of the evidence. This is a chance for an independent report of the facts. If Mr. Trump wants to see the Russia rumble finally get to an honest end, he’ll let Messrs. Sessions and Horowitz get on with their jobs.

Write to kim@wsj.com.

Appeared in the March 2, 2018, print edition.

Makes too much sense, in a time where tabloid titillation, sells......  Angry

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: How to Probe the FBI
Reply #1 - 03/02/18 at 16:41:57

Page was properly surveilled he had already been a target of Russian recruiters. The FISA order was confirmed 4 times by four judges who were all appointed by republicans. The judges themselves were appointed to the FISA court by another judge who was also appointed by republicans.

Give it a f.ucking rest.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 03/02/18 at 17:12:58

eau de sauvage wrote on 03/02/18 at 16:41:57:
Page was properly surveilled he had already been a target of Russian recruiters. The FISA order was confirmed 4 times by four judges who were all appointed by republicans. The judges themselves were appointed to the FISA court by another judge who was also appointed by republicans.

Give it a f.ucking rest.

Well I disagree with you, as it's readily apparent this issue is still very fluid, and many facts have yet to be revealed.
I even believe the Mueller investigation will bear fruit to support that.

I posted this article with the hope of giving the issue an avenue free from its partisan spin......

You can go vulgar, if that is how you best express your own self.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 03/02/18 at 18:08:38

Well I disagree with you,

Oh how extremely civil of you. Pardon me for saying so my dear chap but what I have said is not up for disagreement I just stated a few easy to check facts.

I am very sorry if my strong language, which was used as an intensifier and not in any way directed personally, has caused you any distress. Please look away now as I'm about to clean out my birdcage and I would not want the sight of canary manure to sully your day.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 03/02/18 at 18:30:53

Passive aggressiveness doesn’t do much to substantiate your argument, nor does calling it a fact.
Have fun cleaning out your cage...... Kiss

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 03/02/18 at 22:37:22

I didn't supply an 'argument', I just stated some facts.

Are you disputing that the 4 FISA renewals were by four separate FISA judges all appointed by republicans and the judge who appointed them to the FISA bench was also appointed by the Republicans?

Are you saying also that Page was not already being watched due to his previous Russian contacts.

Are these not facts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/03/18 at 03:53:50

Are you disputing that the 4 FISA renewals were by four separate FISA judges all appointed by republicans and the judge who appointed them to the FISA bench was also appointed by the Republicans.

It almost seems like you believe that republicans are on Trumps side.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 03/03/18 at 08:32:01

eau de sauvage wrote on 03/02/18 at 22:37:22:
I didn't supply an 'argument', I just stated some facts.

Are you disputing that the 4 FISA renewals were by four separate FISA judges all appointed by republicans and the judge who appointed them to the FISA bench was also appointed by the Republicans?

Are you saying also that Page was not already being watched due to his previous Russian contacts.

Are these not facts?

No, of course not....
However, the extension of the warrants might have changed when they believed they could get Trump based on opposition campaign fodder.....

If that becomes the justification, then the original warrant should be voided and a new writ based on the dossier enacted solely on those claims.

You can’t just toss a net to see what you can catch, that will setup a very dangerous president...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/03/18 at 09:48:49

The Gardener
In the back yard
With a water hose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 03/03/18 at 10:02:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/03/18 at 09:48:49:
The Gardener
In the back yard
With a water hose.

That is NOT, my nose, on my face  Wink

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 03/03/18 at 23:32:49

also most of the key points in the Steel dossier have in fact been born out including the Russian election interference before it was an actual media thing.

As well as Kushners shady dealings... https://tinyurl.com/yakn82xo

The Steele dossier alleges that Russians made a deal with Carter Page in the summer of 2016 to sell 19 percent of fossil fuel giant Rosneft, a multibillion dollar deal, and secretly transfer benefits to Trump officials. The dossier alleged that Page was a campaign intermediary to meet personally with Russians, and that Igor Sechin—the CEO of Rosneft and a close Putin ally—and Page had held a “secret meeting” to discuss “the issues of future bilateral energy cooperation and prospects for an associated move to lift Ukraine-related western sanctions against Russia.” The dossier further alleged that Sechin offered Page the brokerage of a 19 percent stake in the company in exchange for the lifting of U.S. sanctions on Russia. Page has denied that this meeting with Sechin ever took place.

Page’s testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, however, confirmed that he at the very least discussed these general topics with key Russian figures at critical points in the Steele dossier timeline.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:56

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › How to Probe the FBI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.