Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?! (Read 358 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?!
Reply #30 - 03/07/18 at 12:36:06

The darker the color - the higher the temperature.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/07/18 at 13:10:58

The goodish color started after the rejet

15204570293981218822970.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #32 - 03/07/18 at 23:54:08

The pipe turns golden first ,then blue.  It can blue because the fuel mix is either to rich or to lean. because your running a restricted inlet ,and a "muffler" we're not familiar with , it's hard to tell which. If you were running the stock muffler ,and seeing your elevation is 981 ft. above sea level,  I'd say you were jetted way to rich, but with your muffler acting like a straight pipe you may be to lean. If you replace it with the stock muffler or go to a DYNA it would be easy to advise proper jetting.

« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 08:10:28 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/08/18 at 09:55:21

Rode with the 155 main jet yesterday and it smells rich. Like I can smell that gassy exhuast smell and the top end feels a bit sluggish. The" muffler" is a radiant cycle GP shorty. Also have to replace the raptor thingy as I found out when changing the jet yesterday  when in the off position I still have about 50% fuel flow unless I pinch the gas hose or hold the float up....  this is starting to be like my powerstroke one thing after another lol

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/08/18 at 14:34:36

Batman, I owe you a bit of a apology. I pulled the restriction plate out and ran it with just the same basic principle of the factory tube and my big filter and it ran about the same as it did with my science experiment. Not as peppy as it was when you soon grip but it still has no problem pulling 75mph..... I didn't have room to get passed that thank you for all the help

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 03/08/18 at 18:48:38

Shrulk ,I'm at a about the same elevation as you are, If your going to commute to work then mileage may become important to you. With a stock 52.5 pilot 3 #4 washers, and a 150main jet and a Dyna muffler,  I get mid to high 40's  for mileage ,some thing I don't think you'll be getting with your present setup, you might want to be checking. Your bike felt more peppy before because slightly lean fuel mixes actually make more horsepower, but risk damage to the valves from running to hot and blue your exhaust pipe. (Stores like Walmart sell products like BlueAway , that will restore your pipe back to chrome.)

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 03/08/18 at 20:07:09

I don't care about the color of the pipe it gives it character, I do care that I run it so it doesn't get damaged. The mileage is a bit important but 20 bucks a week is way better than 80 bucks in diesel.  When it was running bad I had longer piping from the carb to filter  with a 90 degree bend and the the filter came out behind the battery box out the side of the bike a bit. Now it's close to stock intake pipe length and the filter is more hidden under the seat.  I wonder if my issue was something in the ports of the carb. When I pulled the carb I blew everythi h out again. I can't explain why it was bad before and now is pretty awesome. It idles good, starts right up every time, almost never have and popping or backfire or aftercare or what ever ppl call it now. Revs great and scoots along at 75 all day long.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 03/08/18 at 20:21:10

You were lean ,now your not . backfire out the tail pipe is caused by running to lean and occurs when you close the throttle too fast, the" Puff" at shut off is also stronger , the mix is to lean to fire, and the motor's still spinning and pushes the raw fuel into the hot exhaust header that ignites it. The reason you smelled gas when you first put the 155 jet in was you had your restrictor in place which made it function like a 200 jet ,you had way to much fuel and not enough air to burn it all ,so raw gas was coming out the tailpipe.

« Last Edit: 03/10/18 at 19:13:35 by batman »  

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #38 - 03/08/18 at 20:32:39

Alternative to blue away... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R4U7G4 this is the correct length for the S40 and looks excellent.

@Batman, mid to high 40's? that doesn't seem very good. We were getting minimum of 50 and that was running a bit rich, I've since put the needle back to the middle position, it was on the lowest of 3.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 03/08/18 at 20:42:28

I may have the pipe cerakoted if I still have my conections to the work.
The wrap does look pretty cool.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 03/08/18 at 21:01:23

EDS ,my bike has never gotten over 48 mpg since new (1995) mid 40's is what I get on the superslab  at 70-75 mph. a lot of people think they get higher mileage but they don't account for speedometer error, I may be getting higher as I always run 140/90/15 tires ,but without a gps speedo who knows? That and the fact that I'm riding two up ,with a combined weight of 345lbs ,95% of the time tends to limit mileage. That and I always run a bit rich to prevent after fire at shut down ,95's came with a 5 speed but the anti - kickback starter gear didn't come on the bikes until 96.

I'm a bit leery of heat raps ,I've always wondered if the water and dirt that gets trapped into them eats away at the pipe over time, and I like being able to see the color of my pipe ,I don't have a temperature gauge.I'm not sure if it won't change exhaust wave tuning, or increase after fire at shutdown.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #41 - 03/08/18 at 21:58:18

@batman... with a combined weight of 345lbs

Ha, yes that would go some way to explaining it!

@Shrulk, yes it does look splendid, and the DEI brand does not require soaking, and apparently it does not require any silicone spray as It's been on for at least six months with no deterioration at all. Also I put a laser IR thermometer right on the header as it exits the exhaust and even on a near 100F day of stop start riding it was only reading 400F

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #42 - 03/08/18 at 23:26:49

Eau, was the thermometer sitting on the heat wrap, or do you have a little bit of exposed pipe up there?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #43 - 03/09/18 at 00:12:42

IslandRoad wrote on 03/08/18 at 23:26:49:
Eau, was the thermometer sitting on the heat wrap, or do you have a little bit of exposed pipe up there?

IR, It's a IR thermometer non contact. I aimed at what would be the hottest part of the bike that you can get to. Combustion temp is over 750ºC and it does not seem to get more than 200ºC at the hottest part of the exhaust on a hot day. I've aimed the thermometer into the engine through the oil fill plug and it's about 100C.

Let's be honest it's just about looks and I can't see that any increase in temperature results. It may even help heat to radiate away judging from some charts I was looking at recently which I can't find. But it's surprising to see that a black object gets rid of heat better than a shiny metal.

I've heard reservations about damaging the pipe but I can't see why it would unless you leave your bike in the rain. Put some on IR, you know you want to... ;¬)

I've got the heat shield off but I might get it black chromed and put it back, there's a bit of burned rubber on it. But I don't really mind that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:28:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.