Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?! (Read 358 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?!
Reply #15 - 02/28/18 at 15:56:16

Dyna, Harley Davidson

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 02/28/18 at 22:05:59

If you can't figure it out, the thing to do is back up to stock.
the stock muff would be easiest to put back on.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 03/01/18 at 08:57:05

If by great sound you mean loud, your in trouble. loud doesn't equal performance. The DYNA muffler is slightly louder, has a deeper tone and less back pressure and is lighter than stock. It 's also easier to tune the carb to, which is why a lot of us use it. It also allows the  exhaust wave to expand at the end of the exhaust header (wave tuning) something that your present muffler doesn't ,which is why your bike doesn't run at higher rpms. Any muffler has to be larger in diameter than the header pipe to effect this .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/01/18 at 09:13:01

The sun's out and I'm almost loaded up on coffee so I'll be trying a few things this morn and if that doesn't change anything then it's back to stock muffler and square one. I do t have to have obnoxious loud the performance is the most important to me, I want to use the bike as a daily as much as I can so running nearly perfect as possible is number 1.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/01/18 at 12:07:26

Alright here's the update......... pulled carb and cleaned a again, checked jets running 55 pilot and 150 main. Adjusted the needle to the spacer mod position, and took off the air filter and put electrical tape over 2/3rd of the opening on my intake tube ( running about 10 inches of high temp silicone tube from filter to carb? Anddddddd she pulls i0 lime friggin nothing. Passes cars Ricky tick and man I'm excited to ride. Still have the shorty exhuast and may need to fine tune just a bit more. Start rolli g throttle and it revs up a bit then come s back down could be clutches too i guess. Thank you all for wvwry idea and piece of knowledge.... time to fab a new filter set up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/02/18 at 10:51:32

If you're running oil with friction modifiers it's gonna slip.
And screw up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 03/02/18 at 12:27:16

Changing your air filter will do nothing, What is the spacer mod position?Placing tape over the inlet hose cut air flow into the carb ,which increased the vacuum in the carb body pulling more fuel from the jets( your jetting is still to lean!) You need to be running 55pilot,2 #4 washers on the needle, and a 152.5 or 155main.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/02/18 at 18:11:19

I made a bit of a restrictor plat for my intake tube to create the vacuum it needs. I am running a 50 pilot and 150 main and thw needle has adjustable slots on it and im running that i  the middle slot which appears to be what the white spacer mod would be at. The oil is just 4 stroke motorcycle 10w-40 castrol.  Ill go throw the 152.5 jet in it and ride to work to night and see where im at there

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/03/18 at 03:04:57

Shrulk wrote on 03/02/18 at 18:11:19:
I made a bit of a restrictor plat for my intake tube to create the vacuum it needs.

The engine/carb doesn't need a restriction on the inlet side of the carb - what you have done may be helping to mask a problem that is caused by something else.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/03/18 at 04:02:20

The oil is just 4 stroke motorcycle 10w-40 castrol.

I wouldn't want it.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/06/18 at 04:33:21

I'm having very similar symptoms with a large cone air filter. It runs and idles just fine up until the point where it should be opening up the slide, and spits and sputters. I borrowed your idea of forcing restriction and taped up about 3/4 of the filter element starting at the end working back toward the opening. 1 wrap of fuel width duct tape helped, another overlapping wrap closing 3/4 of the filter off seems to have cured the symptom.

I'm running a 55 pilot jet and a 155 main. 2 spacer washers on the slide needle. Rotella T4.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/06/18 at 14:21:58

Rode the bike to work last night and home today, ran like a champ on the 152.5 main and  50 pilot with white spacer mod. Another stupid question I'm sorry but my header pipe is turning almost like a goodish black....  round trip about 40 miles and used about half tank.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/06/18 at 14:23:17

Christof13T wrote on 03/06/18 at 04:33:21:
I'm having very similar symptoms with a large cone air filter. It runs and idles just fine up until the point where it should be opening up the slide, and spits and sputters. I borrowed your idea of forcing restriction and taped up about 3/4 of the filter element starting at the end working back toward the opening. 1 wrap of fuel width duct tape helped, another overlapping wrap closing 3/4 of the filter off seems to have cured the symptom.

I'm running a 55 pilot jet and a 155 main. 2 spacer washers on the slide needle. Rotella T4.

Hopefully that is the fix but sounds like we have other issues. I put some theory into my idea and to me it makes sense but i hope im right and not sterring you down the wrong path.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 03/07/18 at 11:11:17

Shrulk , so your pipe's turning colors ! guess you should go back and read my last comment in your post -wide open woes.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/07/18 at 12:22:43

I'll throw the 155 main jet in it and try it. Thx. It's not turning blues it's turning goodish tones so I didn't know if that meant it was rich or about normal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too big of an air cleaner?!?!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.