Starting issues (Read 342 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Starting issues
Reply #30 - 03/05/18 at 17:09:09

Good, straight questions, Bat.
Unless that ground is removed and cleaned, tightening isn't the answer.
Know, without a doubt, that ground is good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/05/18 at 18:30:02

To be honest, I haven’t seen a thick black wire  like the one on the solenoid connected to a bolt on the engine. However, I did see a thinner one. Ill take a picture and see if I can post it.
As I mentioned earlier, should I connect a black wire from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the engine just to see what happens?
Let me know, I’m open to all suggestions.
Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #32 - 03/05/18 at 18:38:23

suggestion
Find the ground wire.
Remove it from the side of the motor.
Clean contact points.
Reinstall it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 03/05/18 at 22:11:23

Dad0202 ,AT this point, All I can say is ,you put the battery in place and attached the ground cable ,if you follow it back it should run to the right side of the motor and is held to the motor buy one of the bolts in the engine case, it should be almost the size of the cable that runs to the starter. if you can't see it at the place I described , you need new glasses or it's not there  . There is no neg.  terminal on the starter to connect to! there is only the positive terminal on top off the starter! You should not try to run a wire for a ground you should use the one that's there and properly sized which is the one we're trying to get you to look for.There is a small single wire coming out of the case on that side, it's from the neutral switch ,you need to look higher up and a couple of inch farther back in on the motor case to find the end of the ground cable.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/07/18 at 05:44:28

Looked up and down. back and forth, cleaned my glasses, no thick wire to the engine. I did contact the guy I bought the bike from and asked about starting issues. He said sometimes the electric start would work, sometimes it wouldn't. When it didn't he'd push start it.
Now I'm thinking the handlebar switch might be bad.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 03/07/18 at 08:25:45

It's quite possible that the switch isn't healthy.
But,
It's not as common as the Ground
Which is SUPPOSED to be on the right side of the engine, which you can't find.
So, if after the descriptions and explanations you can't find it, I'm gonna have to wonder if it's not there and you're gonna hafta find where it is, because that ground is important to the starting circuit.
Now, without even talking about the Size of the wire, can you find a wire that is bolted to the engine in the general vicinity of what we've been talking about?

IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 03/07/18 at 08:33:06

Yes, there is a thinner one near the sight glass but I was told it had something to do with the neutral safety switch.
Do you know where the thicker wire comes from? The negative battery terminal, solenoid, or somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 03/07/18 at 09:01:45

It comes off the battery negative post, on the kickstand side of the bike and runs behind the battery box, to a casing bolt on the opposite side of the motor, the head of  bolt holds it to the right half of the center case(not the chrome side cover) ,this bolt should be about 2 inches higher than the oil sight glass and about 2 inches back in toward the center of the bike, on a level half way between the sight glass and the arm for the clutch, and just under the chrome cover for the tool kit . you may need a flashlight!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 03/07/18 at 09:14:47

Thicker, thinner, tomato,
tomahto,

If it's the size of a pencil lead, it's not big enough.

Maybe you could type more, explain what you see.

Get a flashlight and go hunting for a wire about the Size of the power wire to the starter.

Okay, look at the clutch arm, follow it as it points to the engine. There is a small wire coming OUT of the engine, and that's not it. Now, using the clutch arm for a pointer, look down about an inch and a half and deeper towards the engine center line. The ground connection comes to the engine from the rear. It's under a chrome headed bolt, I'm gonna say an 8mm socket fits it. It's close to the rear motor mount.

IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 03/07/18 at 09:26:51

I'll check it out when I get home today, weather permitting. If I can't locate it, do I have the option of connecting one from the negative terminal to the engine bolt mentioned? I assume it would be what I need to solve my problem and after giving it some thought, the guy I bought It from said the starter worked now and then. Maybe the wire is hidden somewhere and not making contact as it should because of a loose and/or dirty connection. I'll do some investigating.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to stay away from the repair shop because they want $95.00 an hour and I'm sure it's an easy fix.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 03/07/18 at 09:36:43

This is where you get familiar with the bike, for free. You're Gonna need a maintenance manual. There's a download available, print out what is relevant to the job, like when you are adjusting valves..
We've seen the Perfeshunal Mechanics destroy a couple of engines by installing the oil filter bakkerds.
The money spent on tools will more than pay off in money saved paying for someone else to do what you can do.
And as the owner, you'll be looking around, making note of little things that could be done, and the Perfeshunal Mechanics just want to get done and get paid.

IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 03/07/18 at 09:46:53

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I appreciate it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 03/07/18 at 09:51:52

here's a pic of what you're looking for...

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/IMG_20150914_062054.jpg

sorry, super big

WWW   IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/07/18 at 10:39:48

I'm certain that it's not there. The top one (smaller of the two) is there like I mentioned earlier but not the thicker one near the bottom. Thanks for the photo it helped a lot. I appreciate it.

IP Logged
Dad0220

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 03/07/18 at 12:55:41

I took a picture of what the right side of my motor looks like.

IMG_2511.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 06:29:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.